News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Md. I-70 emergency closure

Started by cpzilliacus, June 06, 2014, 04:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

I-70 westbound (and I understand westbound only) closed between I-695 and U.S. 29 for "possible structural damage to bridge." 

I do not know which structure they are referring to at this time.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

WBAL Radio: I-70 Westbound Closed By Problem At Patapsco River Bridge

QuoteMaryland SHA has CLOSED ALL LANES of I 70 WESTBOUND between I 695/Baltimore Beltway and US 29 because of a structural problem at the Patapsco River Bridge.

QuoteSHA discovered the problem while painting the bridge today and immediately CLOSED ALL WESTBOUND lanes.

QuoteRepairs will take about 24 hours.

QuoteAlternate routes include:

QuoteI-95 SOUTHBOUND to MD 100 WESTBOUND to US 29 NORTHBOUND
    US 40/Baltimore National Pike WESTBOUND
    MD 144/Frederick Rd WESTBOUND
    MD 26/Liberty Rd WESTBOUUND
    I-795 NORTHBOUND

QuoteI-70 EASTBOUND is OPEN.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

BrianP

I just found out about this too.
http://www.marylandroads.com/pages/release.aspx?newsId=1927
QuoteSHA bridge inspectors discovered an issue with the beam that requires immediate attention.

on_wisconsin

Another one?!? Rush hour must be pretty horrific right about now, especially being a summer Friday evening.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Alex4897

First I-495, now this?
I wonder what's next.  :paranoid:
👉😎👉

Alps

Rumor is that they discovered a crack in a fracture-critical member. A crack is far from a failure, but it's good to address it now. It really hurt tonight, but 24 hours isn't bad at all. Completely unrelated to Delaware.

Alex

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 06, 2014, 05:23:38 PM
First I-495, now this?

I-65 over the Mobile River was shut down for several days due to a truck fire on May 22 as well. Now it will undergo a month plus of repairs. You probably can find similar types of damage throughout the Interstate system in any given month. I know I-75 in Sarasota County, Florida had two separate emergency closures this year already.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alex4897 on June 06, 2014, 05:23:38 PM
First I-495, now this?

Southbound I-495 in Delaware is an escape route to the Delaware beaches for residents of northern Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania. 

For a large chunk of Maryland's population, I-70 is an escape route to the mountains of Western Maryland, and nearby areas of West Virginia and Pennsylvania. 

IMO, that is the only similarity.

Roadrunner75

Then there's always planned shutdowns for repairs such as the Pulaski Skyway (US 1/9 in NJ) northbound for 2 years.  This was supposed to be the end of the world for North Jersey traffic but hasn't been nearly as bad as expected.  As long as I take my weekly trips up to Jersey City a little past the morning rush, the traffic is more or less the same on the Turnpike extension and I get the added bonus of being able to zoom by everyone on the shoulder now that they've opened it for travel in the morning.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 06, 2014, 09:12:09 PM
Then there's always planned shutdowns for repairs such as the Pulaski Skyway (US 1/9 in NJ) northbound for 2 years.  This was supposed to be the end of the world for North Jersey traffic but hasn't been nearly as bad as expected.  As long as I take my weekly trips up to Jersey City a little past the morning rush, the traffic is more or less the same on the Turnpike extension and I get the added bonus of being able to zoom by everyone on the shoulder now that they've opened it for travel in the morning.

I get the impression that NJDOT was very aggressive about warning about a potential transportation melt-down when the northbound side of the Skyway was shut-down.  So people were prepared, and expected the worst, and there was no melt-down.

Rather like the Carmageddon Weekends in Los Angeles County when I-405 was shut down at the Sepulveda Pass over a weekend.

kj3400

If I-70 is out, then if I recall correctly, there's only 2 alternatives: US 40, which is 2 lanes and has its own construction thing going on, and Fairbrook-Johnnycake-Old Frederick Rds. to US 29. Those are bound to be clogged.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

cpzilliacus

WJZ (CBS) Channel 13: SHA Officials: Emergency Repairs Close I-70 Near Patapsco Bridge

QuoteSHA officials say they are erring on the side of caution after inspectors discovered an issue with a beam that supports the bridge. The bridge will be closed until repairs are made.

QuoteThose repairs could last through the weekend and into Monday morning.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kj3400 on June 06, 2014, 09:17:40 PM
If I-70 is out, then if I recall correctly, there's only 2 alternatives: US 40, which is 2 lanes and has its own construction thing going on, and Fairbrook-Johnnycake-Old Frederick to US 29. Those are bound to be clogged.

The U.S. 40 project at the Patapsco River is complete.  But as you point out, it is only two lanes each way, and there are quite a few signals between I-695 and U.S. 29. 

The (IMO) better alternative, though it's longer: is I-695 Outer Loop to I-95 South to Md. 100 West to U.S. 29 North and back to I-70 West.

Alps

Quote from: kj3400 on June 06, 2014, 09:17:40 PM
If I-70 is out, then if I recall correctly, there's only 2 alternatives: US 40, which is 2 lanes and has its own construction thing going on, and Fairbrook-Johnnycake-Old Frederick Rds. to US 29. Those are bound to be clogged.
Yes, they are, but Johnnycake looks a lot better than 40 right now, probably because only locals really know about it.
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 06, 2014, 09:12:09 PM

At the same time, though, Carmageddon sufferers could avoid the route for a weekend. I-70 sufferers were stuck today, but may put off tomorrow's plans for a bit. Skyway, and to a lesser degree I-495, sufferers have nowhere to go. The fact that NJ traffic hasn't gotten worse means that people really are a) maximizing use of I-78's other lane, b) diverting to other modes, and c) changing trip patterns. d) The regional ITS infrastructure is also helping.

cpzilliacus

Baltimore Sun: I-70 westbound bridge reopens after weekend repairs

QuoteThe westbound I-70 Bridge over the Patapsco River at the Baltimore-Howard County line was reopened around 4 p.m. Sunday after undergoing weekend repairs, the State Highway Administration said.

QuoteThe ramps from the inner and outer loops of the beltway were also reopened to access westbound I-70, the SHA said.

QuoteRepairs started Friday afternoon, after the state found "urgent repair work" was needed to reinforce a beam. Crews bolted and welded steel plates to the beam to permanently ensure the bridge's safety, the SHA said.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on June 07, 2014, 01:08:10 AM
At the same time, though, Carmageddon sufferers could avoid the route for a weekend.

Though the message from Caltrans, the City of Los Angeles and L.A. County was to stay home on the Carmageddon weekends.

I-70 sufferers were stuck today, but may put off tomorrow's plans for a bit.

Likely correct.

Skyway, and to a lesser degree I-495, sufferers have nowhere to go. The fact that NJ traffic hasn't gotten worse means that people really are a) maximizing use of I-78's other lane, b) diverting to other modes, and c) changing trip patterns. d) The regional ITS infrastructure is also helping.

Makes sense.  Wonder if anyone at NJDOT or maybe the North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority is looking at Inrix, TomTom or AirSage data as part of the Skyway shut-down?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.