News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

VA 281 appears to be born

Started by Mapmikey, September 12, 2014, 09:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

The 2013 traffic data came out this week and I am looking through it this evening.

It has a VA 281 running on Airport Pkwy from VA 895 to Charles City Rd.  GMSV is from 2012 and has no sign of it.  Additionally, the 2012 traffic logs also do not show it.

http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/Traffic_2013/AADT_PrimaryInterstate_2013.pdf

The CTB minutes have not mentioned this and it is not shown on the 2014-16 Official Map.

Mapmikey

Thing 342

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 12, 2014, 09:03:15 PM
The 2013 traffic data came out this week and I am looking through it this evening.

It has a VA 281 running on Airport Pkwy from VA 895 to Charles City Rd.  GMSV is from 2012 and has no sign of it.  Additionally, the 2012 traffic logs also do not show it.

http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/Traffic_2013/AADT_PrimaryInterstate_2013.pdf

The CTB minutes have not mentioned this and it is not shown on the 2014-16 Official Map.

Mapmikey
From my most recent trip over there (August), I can confirm that there is no signage for this route.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 12, 2014, 09:03:15 PM

Is this the road that runs into a "toll trap" on Va. 895?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 14, 2014, 12:12:58 PM
Is this the road that runs into a "toll trap" on Va. 895?
No. "Trap" implies signs like this don't exist.

281 isn't in the most recent GIS data, but I don't know how complete and authoritative the data actually is.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

WillWeaverRVA

I kind of figured the route would get numbered seeing as the signs for it on VA 895 have a rather noticeable space where a shield would go (photo from 2011, but the signs still looked like this in August):

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

WahooBill

Why not just extend VA-156 down Airport Drive to 895?  That would seem to make more sense to me.

froggie

Because 156 actually continues further south to a point south of Petersburg.  Extending 156 the way you suggest would require either renumbering sections of existing 156 between 60 and 5 and south of Hopewell, or removing those sections from the primary system.

WillWeaverRVA

The more reasonable solution would be to extend VA 281 north to VA 156/US 60 at the airport's north entrance...if VA 281 exists.

Even though someone went over in August, I drove the road yesterday and it's not posted. Might be time to email VDOT and see if that's going to happen.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

WahooBill

My bad, didn't remember that VA156 goes east with US60 at the intersection near the airport and then continues south.

WillWeaverRVA

I sent VDOT a tweet asking about this and they're looking into it.
Will Weaver

WillWeaverRVA

VA 281 is indeed born. My conversation with VDOT's Richmond office on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/WillWeaverRVA/status/520254324472295424

Signs will be up in the next 2 weeks.
Will Weaver

yankee.peddler

It's an interesting choice of number given the presence of I-81 in the state.  While I don't think there's much chance someone would think this Route 281 is related to I-81 like an auxiliary interstate, I would have been inclined to use another available designation, such as 284 or 291.
"I'll just stay on 6 all the way to Ely..." J. Kerouac

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: yankee.peddler on October 09, 2014, 06:04:50 PM
It's an interesting choice of number given the presence of I-81 in the state.  While I don't think there's much chance someone would think this Route 281 is related to I-81 like an auxiliary interstate, I would have been inclined to use another available designation, such as 284 or 291.

Well, there is a VA 181 on the Eastern Shore. Given that VA 281 is nowhere near I-81, I think the number's fine.
Will Weaver

Thing 342

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 09, 2014, 02:41:55 PM

Still not signed as of 10/18: (Sorry for poor picture)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Thing 342 on October 20, 2014, 08:23:52 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 09, 2014, 02:41:55 PM

Still not signed as of 10/18: (Sorry for poor picture)

Yeah, there isn't any signage on the route itself, on Charles City Road, or the unnumbered segment of South Airport Drive that runs through the RIC airport property either as of about the same day.
Will Weaver

Mapmikey

I drove VA 281 so I can have the clinch as I was going to the State Library for some vahighways.com research.

3 days didn't change the posting status...

Mapmikey

WillWeaverRVA

VA 281 is now posted, but only at its northern end at Charles City Road, and erroneously - the signs suggest that VA 281 IS Charles City Road, which it isn't. There's no mention of VA 281 on VA 895, Laburnum Avenue, or Charles City Road; the erroneous postings are on Airport Drive and VA 281 itself.
Will Weaver

Mapmikey

I went back by on Friday and the erroneous postings each way on Airport Dr at Charles City Rd were still there and are the only 281 postings I saw as well...

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.