News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cape May-Lewes Ferry

Started by hbelkins, March 19, 2010, 11:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Debated on whether to put this in Northeast or Mid-Atlantic but decided on the latter since I'll be departing from the Delaware side.

As part of my planned trip to Baltimore for the meet next month, I plan to collect the handful of Maryland counties and the three New Jersey counties I need to clinch those states. I'm planning on using the Cape May-Lewes Ferry from Delaware to New Jersey.

Would love to hear observations/opinions from anyone who's used this crossing before. Also, would you suggest reservations and if so, how soon prior to the trip should I make them? Would the night before be acceptable or should I do so even earlier?

(I'm looking at a morning crossing northbound on Friday, April 16. I'm expecting to stay Thursday night in the Lewes/Rehoboth Beach area so I can easily make a morning departure. I'd think mid-April would not be bad for tourists.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

njroadhorse

I've done it in mid-April to get back from Virginia to New Jersey before.  The tourists are not a problem because nobody is really going to either Rehobeth or Cape May during that time.  Getting on the ferry I don't think should be a problem, especially in the early morning hours.  Sometimes it does get dicey on the waters, because the time I went it was a rainstorm, but other than that, you shouldn't have any problems.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Alex

OracleUsr

I went three years ago on a lighthouse trip and can testify that the best time to hit the ferry, as far as scenery goes, is as the sun is setting.  The sunset over Delaware Bay is incredible.

I didn't make reservations then, which was in July '07, but I had to wait longer to get on.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Nexis4Jersey

I took it last year , and it was fun.  Nice Journey across the Delaware Bay ,friendly crew.  The only complaint is there was no WiFi abroad. :banghead:

deathtopumpkins

And you expected that why? :| I've never heard of a ferry with wifi. Just stand out on the deck and enjoy the sea air and the view, it's not that long of a trip.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Nexis4Jersey

The Terminal Had it , so i figured the boat would.  This is the 21 Century most forms of Transport have it , Amtrak , most Bus lines , Commuter Trains and in the not so distant future Subways.

deathtopumpkins

We must just be backward here then. Our buses don't have wifi, our bus terminals don't have wifi, our commuter ferries (and VDOT-run ferry) don't have wifi, and, last time I checked, the Amtrak station didn't have wifi either.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Nexis4Jersey

Wow , thats odd , must be another NE thing , i mean't intercity buses , Some Amtrak Stations along the Northeast Corridor and the Acela have it , soon Amtrak Regional & Keystone, some commuter lines have it to.  Ferries in NYC-NJ have it , and the PATH is testing wifi on there trains.  so ha , we are some much more advanced then you.

froggie

More advanced in traffic congestion and cost of living too...

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on March 23, 2010, 01:13:39 PM
Wow, that's odd, must be another NE thing. I meant intercity buses. Some Amtrak Stations along the Northeast Corridor and the Acela have it, soon Amtrak Regional & Keystone, and some commuter lines have it to.  Ferries in NYC-NJ have it, and the PATH is testing wifi on their trains. So ha, we are so much more advanced then you.

I meant intercity buses too. ;) Our Greyhound terminal doesn't have wifi. And our Amtrak terminal is the southern end of the NEC.
Though don't you think it's a little childish to laugh and brag and use horrid grammar...? Wifi isn't exactly the only measure of how advanced somewhere is. Intelligence is key as well.

Nexis4Jersey

froggie

Surprised you ask, since DTP's location is under his name.  Easily looked up.

BTW, DTP, while you're at the south end of the Northeast Regional, the "official" south end of the NEC itself is up here...

Nexis4Jersey

All Northeast Corridor Stations have or will get it this year.  You live on the NEC Extension , which sometime this decade will get Electrified and Double Tracked.

froggie

Starting to get off-topic here, but what makes you think CSX will allow their trackage to become electrified?

Nexis4Jersey

They have considered going Electric back during the Gas crisis of 08' , and during those times Amtrak put the pressure on them to do it.  CSX does have plans along with NS to Electrify alot of heavily used lines over the next decade.

hbelkins

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on March 24, 2010, 07:10:46 PM
They have considered going Electric back during the Gas crisis of 08' , and during those times Amtrak put the pressure on them to do it.  CSX does have plans along with NS to Electrify alot of heavily used lines over the next decade.

And you know this how???

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

deathtopumpkins

Not even in any of the pipe dream SEHSR plans have I seen anything about electrification. I doubt it's going to happen.

And I know the Acelas don't run down here or anything, but I can still feel important for having the Regionals!  :cool:

froggie

QuoteThey have considered going Electric back during the Gas crisis of 08' , and during those times Amtrak put the pressure on them to do it.  CSX does have plans along with NS to Electrify alot of heavily used lines over the next decade.

I read that they considered it, but there are no hard plans.  If you know of such plans, please give us the source so we can read them too...

Nexis4Jersey

Quote from: froggie on March 24, 2010, 11:20:38 PM
QuoteThey have considered going Electric back during the Gas crisis of 08' , and during those times Amtrak put the pressure on them to do it.  CSX does have plans along with NS to Electrify alot of heavily used lines over the next decade.

I read that they considered it, but there are no hard plans.  If you know of such plans, please give us the source so we can read them too...

Warren Buffet has hinted at it, as Gas & Diesel prices rise again i think it will happen & faster.

froggie

Here's the problem with your assessment...Warren Buffet doesn't own or have a stake in CSX or Norfolk Southern.  He bought the BNSF, which doesn't have a presence near the NEC.

Nexis4Jersey

Thats what i mean't , I think Warren Buffet will revolutionize the North America Freight Train Industry.

froggie

Well if that's what you meant, you should have specified your speculation that electrifying the rails will eventually happen.  Instead, you posted, very matter-of-factly, that "CSX does have plans along with NS to Electrify alot of heavily used lines over the next decade", and when asked to substantiate this, you instead shift your story.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.