News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Welcome to the AARoads thread for NFL discussion since 2020!

For the 2021 season >> click here
For the 2022 season >> click here
For the 2023 season >> click here
For the 2024 season >> click here

Original title: NFL (2020 Season)

Because the dust has hardly settled from Super Bowl 54, it's time to start talking about the offseason and looking ahead to the 2020 NFL season!

There are plenty of draft and free agency narratives in the NFL this year: Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees, just to name a few.

Can teams that had unexpected success this year replicate that next year? (SF 49ers, Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans...) Can teams that underperformed make a playoff run next year? (Dallas Cowboys, LA Rams, Cleveland Browns...)

Will the Patriots extend their dynasty? Can the Ravens supplant the Chiefs as the team to beat in the AFC?
Will the 2020 NFC West be the greatest division of all time? Can the Saints overcome their run of postseason woes?

I'm excited to see all that and more unfurl over the next 12 months!  :coffee:
My way-to-early Super Bowl matchup for next year: Ravens vs. Saints!  :nod:

Alps

Justin Herbert will have the best overall stats of any rookie next year. (Helps he'll be picked later in the draft for a better team)

kevinb1994

There is reporting of the Jags playing two games in London which is apparently driving down the cost of tickets.
They will be playing the Bears and Steelers.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kevinb1994

Alps

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 04, 2020, 05:14:21 PM
There is reporting of the Jags playing two games in London which is apparently driving down the cost of tickets.

They will NOT be playing the Bears or Steelers.  The Jaguars asked to keep those games in Jacksonville because they can actually sell out those games. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 05, 2020, 08:17:50 AM

They will NOT be playing the Bears or Steelers.  The Jaguars asked to keep those games in Jacksonville because they can actually sell out those games. 

From ESPN:

QuoteThe games will be held on back-to-back Sundays; dates and opponents will be announced in April when the league reveals the schedule. However, the Jaguars did protect home games against Pittsburgh and Chicago, so the opponents will come from this list: Houston, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Cleveland, Detroit and Miami.

It's likely to be between mid-October and mid-November because the annual Florida-Georgia game is being played at TIAA Bank Field on Oct. 31 and the Jaguars have either played their London game that week or had a bye week at that time.

(A practical note: The NFL traditionally aims to have a London game the last Saturday of October because the time difference is one hour less due to the US remaining on DST a week longer than Western Europe does. Who knows whether that would influence the timing for the Jaguars' games.)

Quote from: Alps on February 04, 2020, 09:05:43 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2020, 05:20:46 PM
You forgot the XFL
So will most of America

I might have considered going to the XFL game at Audi Field this Saturday except the weather is supposed to be atrocious. I made it to one soccer game last season and it seemed like a nice little stadium, though we didn't get to look around a whole lot.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kevinb1994

What are you talking about? Of course they're playing the Bears and Steelers. Just not in London.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 05, 2020, 09:02:59 AM

What are you talking about? Of course they're playing the Bears and Steelers. Just not in London.
That's what I meant.  I thought you were saying the London games would be the Bears or Steelers and I was pointing out that they will not.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 05, 2020, 08:57:40 AM

From ESPN:

QuoteThe games will be held on back-to-back Sundays; dates and opponents will be announced in April when the league reveals the schedule. However, the Jaguars did protect home games against Pittsburgh and Chicago, so the opponents will come from this list: Houston, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Cleveland, Detroit and Miami.

It's likely to be between mid-October and mid-November because the annual Florida-Georgia game is being played at TIAA Bank Field on Oct. 31 and the Jaguars have either played their London game that week or had a bye week at that time.

(A practical note: The NFL traditionally aims to have a London game the last Saturday of October because the time difference is one hour less due to the US remaining on DST a week longer than Western Europe does. Who knows whether that would influence the timing for the Jaguars' games.)

Quote from: Alps on February 04, 2020, 09:05:43 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2020, 05:20:46 PM
You forgot the XFL
So will most of America

I might have considered going to the XFL game at Audi Field this Saturday except the weather is supposed to be atrocious. I made it to one soccer game last season and it seemed like a nice little stadium, though we didn't get to look around a whole lot.
Thanks for the ESPN link Mr. Hoo (or should I say...Dr. Hoo ;))! It seems there was a misunderstanding there for a little while. I guess not having the info in front of me didn't help much LOL

kevinb1994

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 05, 2020, 09:04:19 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 05, 2020, 09:02:59 AM

That's what I meant.  I thought you were saying the London games would be the Bears or Steelers and I was pointing out that they will not.
No I wasn't. It does appear that my sentence spacing failed to do the trick. I should mention that I have had issues with formatting via my iPhone thanks to the small as heck keyboard and I am due for a newer and bigger phone and in fact this particular iPhone (SE) was discontinued by Apple in September of 2018, so I could use a new phone already since I have had mine for over two years now. I am already decided on moving back to Android, which Android phone that will be is still a little up in the air but I have a good idea of what brand to switch to once I make my final decision which should be soon. I was, until September of last year, using my iPad to type and format my posts, but my thought process was inspired to ship my old iPad to Apple via FedEx and then use credits towards a new one...but I got distracted and failed to meet the shipping deadline but that wasn't really my fault as the shipping material was sent to my house a little late which made it practically impossible for me to meet the deadline...way to go Apple! I do still have a need for a proper computing device but whether that will be a new iPad or a Chromebook Pixelbook Go by Google. So that needs to be figured out as well.

nexus73

Predicting a winner in the NFL is a real crapshoot. Parity + injuries + poor playoff performance when it counts = Throw a dart at the dartboard. 

That being said, at least we can easily select teams who are potential contenders.  Let's look at who is not predicted to be in the race and see if any of them can be the darkhorse.  Las Vegas Raiders anyone?  That team would lead my list.  Who's on yours?

Rick

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nexus73 on February 05, 2020, 12:45:52 PM
Predicting a winner in the NFL is a real crapshoot. Parity + injuries + poor playoff performance when it counts = Throw a dart at the dartboard. 

That being said, at least we can easily select teams who are potential contenders.  Let's look at who is not predicted to be in the race and see if any of them can be the darkhorse.  Las Vegas Raiders anyone?  That team would lead my list.  Who's on yours?

Rick

Barring injuries, teams with elite QBs can be counted on to be contenders every year.  This would include Chiefs, Ravens, Packers, Saints, Seahawks, Steelers and Texans

Teams without elite QBs can contend with a strong defense and running game.  Candidates for 2020 would include 49ers, Titans, Bills, Raiders, Colts, Vikings, Bears and Patriots

1995hoo

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 05, 2020, 12:54:28 PM

Rick

Barring injuries, teams with elite QBs can be counted on to be contenders every year.  This would include Chiefs, Ravens, Packers, Saints, Seahawks, Steelers and Texans

Teams without elite QBs can contend with a strong defense and running game.  Candidates for 2020 would include 49ers, Titans, Bills, Raiders, Colts, Vikings, Bears and Patriots

And then you have the Redskins.  :-D :banghead: :-D :banghead:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

It's not too big of a challenge to correctly predict more than half of games correctly. 538's NFL predictions went 164-86-6 (0.656) this past season. But, there is always some upsets, usually between 2 and 8 per week. So, getting above 2/3 - 3/4 of games correct presents some major challenges, because there is a certain degree of randomness. Sometimes you can feel it, sometimes you just can't, and stuff happens seemingly out of the blue.

webny99

The Bills, after facing on of the easiest schedules this past season (AFC North, NFC East), face a much tougher one next season.
It gets harder in terms of both travel (AFC West and NFC West - yikes!) and opponents (Chiefs, Niners, Seahawks, Rams, Steelers, Titans).

I believe they are also, along with the Texans and Saints, one of the only teams to face 3 or more of this year's championship contenders:
-Obviously this year's SB matchup hailed from the divisions the Bills play, and they also get the Titans since they both finished 2nd in their division.
-The Texans get the Titans (obviously) plus the Chiefs, who also finished first, and the Packers, since they play the NFC North next year.
-The Saints get the other 1st place finishers Niners and Packers, plus the Chiefs since they play the AFC West.

I couldn't find any other teams that drew 3 or more championship teams. The Ravens are the only other team to get both the Chiefs and Titans, but they get the NFC East (so no Niners or Packers), while the Eagles get both of those, but no Chiefs or Titans.

And then of course the entire AFC East and the Saints are the only ones that get both Super Bowl teams.

thspfc

A small part of me wants to see Brady re sign with the Pats, and then throw for 5000 yards, 45 touchdowns, and win a superb owl. As crazy as it sounds it's not completely out of the question.

KEVIN_224

As for the England games, I believe that Miami will be "home" with theirs. They host Kansas City this coming season. I can't see that one going overseas. Miami is playing the NFC West and will host Seattle and the L.A. Rams.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on February 06, 2020, 10:17:23 PM
A small part of me wants to see Brady re sign with the Pats, and then throw for 5000 yards, 45 touchdowns, and win a superb owl. As crazy as it sounds it's not completely out of the question.
A small part of me wants to exorcise that part of you.

nexus73

"Superb owl"...LOL!  Sometimes typos can turn out so funny!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Big John

Quote from: nexus73 on February 06, 2020, 11:54:22 PM

Rick
Last year in Jeopardy, the Jeopardy round had a category of Super Bowl(dealing with football), then in Double Jeopardy there came the category of Superb Owl (dealing with owls).

Rothman

Yeah.  Superb Owl is common now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Rick
That's not a typo, that's common parlance. 🦉

nexus73

Quote from: Alps on February 07, 2020, 12:30:04 AM

Rick
That's not a typo, that's common parlance.

Thanks for letting me know!  Superb Owl it is!

Rick

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.