News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Jackie Gleason on the Honeymooners who used to threaten his wife with his fists and making the famous lines "You're going to the moon." 

Ed Asner, as Lou Grant in Mary Tyler Moore, where he told Mary in the pilot episode " Hey Mary you have a nice caboose" meaning he though her ass was hot, as in those days all freight trains used cabooses at the rear of the train.

Ricky Ricardo on I Love Lucy spanking Lucy.

Those were classic and made TV funny, but with today's worlds standards and the escalation of acts of men toward women being degrading, modern television would not allow this thing as political activists groups would be making headlines and protesting the networks if a show like these were aired today.

Here is another twist All In The Family which allowed for censorship to be relaxed such as allowing phrases "What the Hell" and  allowing the toilet to be mentioned (and heard) plus allowing politics to be talked about on network TV and subjects such as the Vietnam protests and women's lib, along with talking about sexual promiscuous and the related were taboo as Rolling Stones when on the Ed Sullivan Show had to change the lyrics to their hit song Lets Spend The Night Together to  as the hint of sex could not even be mentioned at all originally, would not be allowed in today's world either.

Then look at the Honeymooners again, and What's Happening which used humor derived at poking fun at overweight people.  That is a big no no today.  I do not even think that Good Times or Maude (two more Norman Lear programs) could not be aired today with their controversial themes. 

It seems like slapstick comedy, obese jokes,  funny statements about punching females and commentary are not at all acceptable many decades later.  Any other things about modern television that changed comedy or even drama that can't be aired today?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Smoking is minimal.

A group of 4 friends has about 78 races and nationalities among them, in order not to offend anyone.

Remember many years ago the biggest issue was glasses?  Usually a group of kids had at least one wearing glasses, so that kids with glasses watching the show would feel like they would fit in.

roadman65

Yes that is a great one.  Smoking!  As previous stars would smoke on camera, nowadays with the clean air act, nobody dares to feature them except when making a point about smoking being bad.

The last shows I remember were back in the 80's. Simon & Simon, where Gerald McRainey lit up smokes while playing Rick Simon was the last of that era with maybe a little spillage into the 90's.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

english si

This segment from the mid-90s on a satire of the news would never get on the BBC today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMdPj3HXMgQ

bing101

Max Rockatansky

Old Motorweek episodes reference Asian automakers as "Orientals" which would probably be considered derogatory today.  There are a ton of them on the 70s, 80s, and 90s car thread.

Brian556

On Married With Children, Al Bundy always made fun of overweight women.

On the first episode of MTV's "The Real World", they featured a gay guy with AIDS, as if to suggest that all or almost all gays had AIDS.

TheHighwayMan3561

People today don't realize that some famous classic cartoons such as Looney Tunes and the Flintstones were not originally intended to be for children/family viewing. It's kind of like the Simpsons and South Parks and Family Guys of today are just the evolution of animation intended for adult viewing that grew out of that era.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SidS1045

Quote from: bing101 on July 08, 2017, 12:13:57 PMFlintstones and the Smoking commercials. If this commercial aired today then lawsuits would go off the charts.

Cigarette commercials were banned on radio and TV by an act of Congress, effective January 2, 1971.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

GaryV

mgk920

Several years ago, the planned showing of a series of old Charlie Chan movies was cancelled after the network bosses got cold feet over a fear of offending Asians.

:rolleyes:

Also, the old 'I can't believe I ate the whole thing' series of Pepto-Bismol ads, over fear of offending Italians.

Mike

Big John

^^ And it was a flop since people did not remember it was an Alka-Seltzer ad, along with the spicy meatball ad.

nexus73

Quote from: bing101 on July 08, 2017, 12:13:57 PM

Flintstones and the Smoking commercials. If this commercial aired today then lawsuits would go off the charts.

If Flintstones did the commercial then it would have a Pepe Frog type fallout here too.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pepe-frog-creator-wants-make-him-symbol-peace-love-n779101

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/3936554/creator-of-pepe-the-frog-white-supremacist-meme-wants-to-reclaim-him-as-universal-symbol-of-peace-and-love/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P39H3YFx_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOxuuRv1URE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYWLmOdpQW0

Here is the fallout here.

Candy cigarettes, remember them?  After TV commercials disappeared with Jan 1, 1971 being the last day, as was mentioned during the Rose Bowl broadcast by NBC (it can be found on Youtube), the advertising had to be sneakier.  When watching a replay of the NFC Championshop game from January 1982 ("The Catch" DAL at SF), one sees a prominent Marlboro billboard in Candlestick Park.  As restrictions on advertising got tighter, point of sale advertising got more emphasis.  Joe Camel and Camelbucks anyone?

Now we have Pepe/Kek and Kekistan.  Shadilay!  As mass media turned into niche markets, so one could make TV shows garnering 1 to 2 percent marketshares a doable proposition, the real mass phenomenon became the meme.  Just like the weather, they're random action elements that can erupt at any time, sweep across the nation and then poof, they're last week's news.  Instead of commercials made by Madison Avenue, now it is whatever bubbles up from the audience that makes the splash!  I find it entertaining.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US71

Quote from: Big John on July 08, 2017, 05:12:51 PM
^^ And it was a flop since people did not remember it was an Alka-Seltzer ad, along with the spicy meatball ad.

Sweet & sour snails
Poached oysters
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Desert Man

Ethnic, racial and cultural stereotypes on commercials, comedies and cartoons are NOT acceptable in today's societal norms, esp. we became opposing of racism, as well sexism, anti-semitism, Islamophobia, homophobia, transphobia, classism, ableism and ageism. Either this attitude started in the 1930s by the MPAA banned defamatory imagery of groups of people in film, the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s and PCness was a 1990s trend.

3 examples are the Alka-Seltzer ad from 1969 features an Italian-American family, actors in a commercial take set, the 1966 ad of Mountain Dew features poor whites or hillbillies with the commercial version of the soft drink, and the 1970 Fritos ad starring their retired Mexican character the Frito Bandito. (all can be found on Youtube).

My wife, who's of Mexican (technically Spanish and Apache), Italian and Filipino descent doesn't take offense from these commercials. I'm of half-French/Flemish, Scottish, German and Cherokee Indian descent. I've seen western movies portray Native Americans as savages and a movie character Detective Clouseau of the Pink Panther anthology played by Peter Sellers received negative attention in France for being a very "crude" French stereotype.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Stephane Dumas

Some violence scenes from Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons, it was a kid show then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azr1jVw8wjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FTdS5IglLg

And stuff we saw in the 1967-70 Spider-man cartoon who wouldn't be made today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMdh4DkslVk

The 1980s classic kids show You Can't Do that on Television is perfectly named, I doubt we could do the same kinds of skits today.
https://youtu.be/cctW1OCB3P8

bandit957

A lot of stuff went right past the censors. There was an episode of 'CHiPs' where Erik Estrada made a big deal about the number 69, and the censors didn't catch it.

Around the same time, there was a set of episodes on 'Sesame Street' where several of the characters flew to Hawaii. The scene where Oscar the Grouch tries to take his trash can through the metal detector is full of very subtle adult jokes.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US71

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US71

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 08, 2017, 09:22:49 PM
Quote from: GaryV on July 08, 2017, 04:46:23 PM
Speedy Gonzales.

Ironically, IIRC, Mexicans actually love that character.

"Hey, Rosita come quick
Down at the cantina they giving green stamps with tequila!!"

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Duke87

Doug Funnie having a best friend nicknamed "Skeet". Though, this one is not a case of changing standards - the show predates the existence of the current slang term "skeet" and it's entirely a coincidence.

A movie, not a TV show, but the whole sequence with the Indian tribe in Peter Pan would never fly today.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bandit957

When I was growing up, because of the Calgon commersh, every time someone said that "we need more" anything, someone would always say, "Ancient Chinese secret, huh?"

"We need more Froot Loops!"

"Ancient Chinese secret, huh?"

bandit957

One thing you never see on TV anymore is commercials for bubble gum. I have no idea why.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.