News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps made a big whoopsie with I-40 and I-20

Started by AzNate, January 06, 2024, 10:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzNate

I was looking on Google Maps in Albuquerque today and noticed something a bit strange...

For some reason, Google appears to have made I-20 concurrent with I-40 all the way from its end in Barstow to the interchange with I-65 in Nashville. I am genuinely curious how this has happened and honestly kind of impressed.

Google has also decided that I-40 no longer goes through Memphis and replaced it completely with I-20!

Here are some more screenshots along I-20's new fictional route :-D:

pderocco

Big John

sprjus4

I noticed the same thing in Raleigh earlier today...

CNGL-Leudimin

I wonder if we got a new QC 366, I-136 or I-6 case :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

epzik8

They've had a tendency to mark one street with two street names as well.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

ElishaGOtis

Here's a link while it lasts: https://maps.app.goo.gl/sFe41GtFnupFHaoM8?g_st=i (works better on Mobile).

I made sure to report the issue. It's much bigger than just a shield being incorrect. The navigation guidance displays I-40 as I-20 in many places. The issue seems to exist on ALL parts of I-40 west of I-65 (yes, ALL the way from TN to CA), and on some small segments in NC. Screenshots coming shortly.
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

TheCatalyst31

Did someone feed the Fictional Highways board into one of Google's AI projects?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: epzik8 on January 07, 2024, 07:36:26 AM

TBF, I think that happens when there's a street that continues with a different name, and Google ain't sure where one name ends and the other begins.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

GaryV

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 07, 2024, 07:16:06 PM

TBF, I think that happens when there's a street that continues with a different name, and Google ain't sure where one name ends and the other begins.

The Google Map Lady would tell me, "Turn left on 12 Mile / Twelve Mile" - because she evidently didn't realize that 12 and twelve are the same thing.

MikeTheActuary

I-20 still persists this morning in Memphis, from West Memphis to the eastern junction with I-240.

I also noticed the western leg of I-240 has been replaced with I-69, with no mention of I-240.   I know that Google has followed Roadgeek cannon in showing I-69 in Memphis (despite TDOT saying it doesn't yet exist), but I had thought that Google had been showing both I-69 and I-240 on that stretch of highway.

AzNate

As of this evening it looks like Google has fixed I-40 in California, Arizona, and Tennessee, though I-20 still remains between Exit 8 (NM 118) in New Mexico and Exit 165 (Kerr Rd) in Arkansas for some reason.

adt1982

How does this even happen in the first place?

texaskdog

cwf1701

and north of Toledo, Summit Street (in Michigan) is still listed as ALT-US-24 on Google Maps, 50 years after Michigan removed ALT-US-24.

Henry

What about the real I-20 from western TX to Florence, SC? Did they make any mistakes with that one too? After all, if they labeled I-20 from Barstow to Nashville, surely it would reappear in Atlanta via Chattanooga!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cjw2001

Quote from: adt1982 on January 10, 2024, 10:19:47 PM
Google shut down the Mapmaker program and disbanded the user editing and trusted regional leads that provided local knowledge and timely updates.   I was a regional lead at the time and could directly fix stuff like this.  No more. 

You can try submitting corrections / feedback in the maps program directly, but good luck on getting the message to someone that can actually understand your info and fix it.

Molandfreak

Quote from: cwf1701 on January 10, 2024, 11:07:34 PM
and north of Toledo, Summit Street (in Michigan) is still listed as ALT-US-24 on Google Maps, 50 years after Michigan removed ALT-US-24.
They also post all the alt routes in Wisconsin, which are fine for interstates because they just show up as text, but each alt US and state trunk highway is accompanied with a shield—which suggests that they're special routes equivalent to the ones approved by AASHTO.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Brandon

Especially with street and freeway names no one ever uses, and are never signed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

index

Quote from: Brandon on January 12, 2024, 02:18:34 PM

Especially with street and freeway names no one ever uses, and are never signed.
Google has a problem in South Carolina with using the internal SCDOT-designated numbers for city streets at times. Sometimes it's listed alongside the name that's actually used, sometimes they list it as the only name for the street. I don't know where they even get the data from to do that, every county GIS will use the name of the street people actually use.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Mr. Matté

Quote from: cjw2001 on January 11, 2024, 10:25:19 AM
Quote from: adt1982 on January 10, 2024, 10:19:47 PM
Google shut down the Mapmaker program and disbanded the user editing and trusted regional leads that provided local knowledge and timely updates.   I was a regional lead at the time and could directly fix stuff like this.  No more. 

Even during the Mapmaker phase, you were always at the whim of some guy outside the country. My edits frequently were met with "Please kindly undo your edit." (if you think I'm so wrong of fixing the McDonald's pin location in my town, why don't you undo it yourself?)

bwana39

Google maps used to say Houston as HOWSTON.  I get that is how it is said in NYC, but we are also talking about how it is said here where HOUSTON is in the top ten US Cities.

Quote from: index on January 12, 2024, 02:35:48 PM
Google has a problem in South Carolina with using the internal SCDOT-designated numbers for city streets at times. Sometimes it's listed alongside the name that's actually used, sometimes they list it as the only name for the street. I don't know where they even get the data from to do that, every county GIS will use the name of the street people actually use.

Texas used to have internal route numbers like that that were at best confusing. US-271 in Mount Pleasant was Route 149. Really confusing... As I understand it, those have been discontinued. You need an internal TxDOT map to figure out where a contract or imminent domain process were .

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Rothman

Quote from: bwana39 on January 18, 2024, 12:11:12 PM
Google maps used to say Houston as HOWSTON.  I get that is how it is said in NYC, but we are also talking about how it is said here where HOUSTON is in the top ten US Cities.

NYC is #1.  Suck it up.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

chrislopezz

Quote from: AzNate on January 06, 2024, 10:19:18 PM
I was looking on Google Maps in Albuquerque today and noticed something a bit strange...

For some reason, Google appears to have made I-20 concurrent with I-40 all the way from its end in Barstow to the interchange with I-65 in Nashville. I am genuinely curious how this has happened and honestly kind of impressed.

Google has also decided that I-40 no longer goes through Memphis and replaced it completely with I-20!

Here are some more screenshots along I-20's new fictional route :-D:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "WHOOPSIE" IF IT'S ALL CORRECT!? (OR AM I CONFUSED  :crazy: ?)

pderocco

Quote from: bwana39 on January 18, 2024, 12:11:12 PM

Houston TX is pronounced differently from Houston St in NYC. Does Google Maps get them both right, now?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.