News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Detroit Bridge Wars

Started by mightyace, June 16, 2009, 05:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

Ambassador Bridge loses appeal against demo order

Interesting Side Note:
QuoteIt is the largest US-Canada crossing in terms of truck traffic
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mightyace

Hellfighter

mightyace

The Premier

This is a shame. I sure hope that all sides get their acts together and come to an agreement over the bridge. Playing politics over a bridge is very unacceptable and it has to stop, I don't care if it is a breach of contract or whatever. The last thing we need is a story about another bridge collapse because of this.
Alex P. Dent

mightyace

^^^

Agreed.

IMHO, from what I've read, it looks like that the cross-border truck traffic could support either the second Ambassador Bridge span or the DRIC bridge, but not both in the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, I don't see the government entities and Mr. Moroun seeing eye to eye anytime soon.

The best hope for a solution would seem to be having Moroun out of the picture either by his retiring or expiring.

Hellfighter

Scott5114

So when's Granholm going to show up brandishing a firearm?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

The Premier

Trying to get the bridge completed in one year is an understatement of the week, especially due to the fact that I-75 near I-96 was at one point closed to build the ramp to the new bridge.
Alex P. Dent

rawmustard

Canada wants to pay Michigan's share of $550 million.

Hmm, looks like Canada really wants to get this done. It would certainly give one of their citizens a boost.

Hellfighter

I say go ahead! Bypass the Moron!

mightyace

Quote from: Hellfighter on April 29, 2010, 02:36:56 PM
I say go ahead! Bypass the Moron!

I agree. 

From the article:
QuoteStamper (of Detroit International Bridge Company) said the new bridge is unnecessary because traffic between the two countries would be dropping, and said it would siphon off 75% of the Ambassador Bridge traffic.

Besides the fact the Moroun has been a royal pain in the ... to everyone, it is easier (read cheaper) to make an all freeway connection to a new bridge than the Ambassador on the Canadian side.

This one puzzles me:
QuoteRep. Lee Gonzales, D-Flint, a leading proponent of the DRIC said a second bridge span is needed as a matter of national security as much as commerce.

"In this post-9/11 world, you must have a publicly held bridge,"  Gonzales said.

Why must it be publicly held?  The article doesn't say why the Honorable Mr. Gonzales thinks that.

I might agree on security on the issue of redundancy and having multiple crossings. 

But, being an idiot and a jerk is not, like Moroun, in and of itself a threat to security nor is private ownership.

Hellfighter

The Premier

Alex P. Dent

Terry Shea

Quote from: The Premier on April 23, 2010, 07:18:04 PM
Trying to get the bridge completed in one year is an understatement of the week, especially due to the fact that I-75 near I-96 was at one point closed to build the ramp to the new bridge.
They're still going to use the ramp...it's just going to be a very long ramp to the downriver crossing! :)

joseph1723

Stephane Dumas

vdeane

I have the perfect solution: let Mouron build the second bridge; force him to, in fact.  Also build the DRIC.  Having Mouron spend money and lose traffic should be enough punishment for his arrogance.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Premier

Quote from: deanej on May 01, 2010, 03:09:22 PM
I have the perfect solution: let Mouron build the second bridge; force him to, in fact.  Also build the DRIC.  Having Mouron spend money and lose traffic should be enough punishment for his arrogance.

I don't see that happening. Especially if he is forced by the Supreme Court to demolish the recently constructed bridge.
Alex P. Dent

agentsteel53

Quote from: The Premier on May 01, 2010, 07:33:10 PM
I don't see that happening. Especially if he is forced by the Supreme Court to demolish the recently constructed bridge.

what kind of government idiots will order the destruction of a perfectly serviceable bridge?  talk about a waste of money!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rawmustard

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 01, 2010, 07:34:16 PM
what kind of government idiots will order the destruction of a perfectly serviceable bridge?  talk about a waste of money!

Right now it's merely an approach to a twin span to the Ambassador that the bridge company wants to build. The whole point of this dispute is determining whether building this approach was legal. Given Maroun's record, it's highly likely that it wasn't.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2010, 06:45:23 PM
Not her style.  She'll probably make another trip to China, recruit 5 Chinese men to build the bridge and then proclaim "I've solved our unemployment problem!"

haljackey

So much for progress.

The Canadian side is pretty much done. The Windsor-Essex Parkway has been finalized which will connect the new crossing to the 401. All that's left is to appraise the homes in the parkway's way so the thing can actually get built.

But there's no rush in building the parkway if the bridge and boarder plazas take longer to construct. This is the 21st century for crying out loud. I know there's a contract and it's a capitalist market, but don't choke international trade between two friendly countries that want to do loads of business with eachother in this economic climate.

Just "Get'er done".

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: rawmustard on May 01, 2010, 09:09:48 PM
Right now it's merely an approach to a twin span to the Ambassador that the bridge company wants to build. The whole point of this dispute is determining whether building this approach was legal. Given Maroun's record, it's highly likely that it wasn't.

Maybe they could find a way to recycle that approach, it'll be perfect for a stunt car chase a la Blues Brothers ;)

Scott5114

Quote from: Terry Shea on May 02, 2010, 12:07:08 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2010, 06:45:23 PM
Not her style.  She'll probably make another trip to China, recruit 5 Chinese men to build the bridge and then proclaim "I've solved our unemployment problem!"

See, when this exact thing happened on the Oklahoma/Texas border in 1931, Oklahoma Gov. William H. "Alfalfa Bill" Murray showed up at the scene with a revolver, the Oklahoma Department of Highways, and the National Guard behind him, bound and determined to get that damned new bridge open.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.