News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Randall Road/I-90 Interchange Improvement

Started by I-39, December 30, 2014, 06:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

I was driving down Randall Road recently and couldn't believe how congested the interchange at I-90 (Jane Addams Tollway) is!  :wow:

There seems to be five intersections positioned way to close to one another and traffic backs up because it is only four lanes. Plus, it is very awkward to get on the Tollway.

I think they ought to consider rebuilding the interchange as a SPUI (Single Point Urban) to improve traffic flow and consolidate the two stoplights at the ramp intersections into one. Plus, they need to widen Randall Road between Big Timber and Route 72 to six lanes.

I don't believe there are any plans to do anything with the Randall Road bridge as part of the I-90 rebuild and widen, but does anyone know of any plans to improve the chokehold at Randall and I-90?

SSOWorld

There are no plans per the ISTHA site for the interchange so unless the local muni does something, don't expect anything.  This area was updated recently when the plaza was rebuilt with the open-road tolling.  Because of that, don't expect any changes to the junction as a result of the rebuild/widen.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Revive 755

Quote from: adamlanfort on December 30, 2014, 06:58:45 PM
I think they ought to consider rebuilding the interchange as a SPUI (Single Point Urban) to improve traffic flow and consolidate the two stoplights at the ramp intersections into one.

ISTHA does not like SPUIs.  The only interchanges that are likely to be converted to SPUIs are ones with an IDOT route.  Rumor has it that IDOT is not thrilled with SPUIs either due to the high bridge costs.

Quote from: adamlanfortI don't believe there are any plans to do anything with the Randall Road bridge as part of the I-90 rebuild and widen, but does anyone know of any plans to improve the chokehold at Randall and I-90?

Unless there is a study underway I have not heard of, the only projects Kane County will be undertaking on Randall Road soon will be upgrading the traffic signals to have one head per lane and flashing yellow arrows where there are permissive or protected-permissive left turns, and building the intersection with the Longmeadow Parkway corridor.

McHenry County on the other hand is actively working on plans to widen the rest of their section of Randall Road.

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 30, 2014, 09:16:45 PM
Quote from: adamlanfort on December 30, 2014, 06:58:45 PM
I think they ought to consider rebuilding the interchange as a SPUI (Single Point Urban) to improve traffic flow and consolidate the two stoplights at the ramp intersections into one.

ISTHA does not like SPUIs.  The only interchanges that are likely to be converted to SPUIs are ones with an IDOT route.  Rumor has it that IDOT is not thrilled with SPUIs either due to the high bridge costs.

Quote from: adamlanfortI don't believe there are any plans to do anything with the Randall Road bridge as part of the I-90 rebuild and widen, but does anyone know of any plans to improve the chokehold at Randall and I-90?

Unless there is a study underway I have not heard of, the only projects Kane County will be undertaking on Randall Road soon will be upgrading the traffic signals to have one head per lane and flashing yellow arrows where there are permissive or protected-permissive left turns, and building the intersection with the Longmeadow Parkway corridor.

McHenry County on the other hand is actively working on plans to widen the rest of their section of Randall Road.

That's just it, Randall Road needs widening badly at least from the McHenry County Line to Batavia. Don't understand what the delay is on Kane County. 

And something is going to have to be done with the Randall Road interchange and I-90, it is too congested and will only get worse when the Park and Ride lot opens. I don't understand why IDOT/Cook County and ISTHA are rebuilding the Barrington Road Interchange as a SPUI if they don't like them.

Stratuscaster

Possibly because that's what there is space for at that location? That's just a wild guess, as there are intersections immediately north and south of that interchange as well.

I've been on Randall between US-20 in Elgin and Oak St in North Aurora - I felt it flowed fine in that stretch, with expected congestion at peak travel times.

Say what you want about Randall, it's certainly better than IL-59 in the same stretch overall.

Revive 755

Quote from: Stratuscaster on December 30, 2014, 10:31:14 PM
Possibly because that's what there is space for at that location? That's just a wild guess, as there are intersections immediately north and south of that interchange as well.

If you are referring to the I-90 interchange with Barrington Road, the other two main alternatives added one or more loop ramps and had the eastbound exit to Barrington via a slip ramp to IL 72.  IIRC, a diamond was ruled out due to concerns with spacing with the signal at Hassel Road, and there were concerns about the volume using the WB to SB loop ramp.

Stratuscaster

Yes, I-90 & Barrington.

That existing WB/SB loop ramp has claimed more than a few inattentive drivers in it's day.

sipes23

I know and loathe that stretch. 7 (poorly timed) signals in about a mile and change.

My guess is that Randall Road's fate was sealed when they didn't make it an expressway when they widened it between Big Timber Road to the north. While it was pretty hairy when it was still a two lane road, there wasn't anything there really other than a faster route than IL 31.

ChiMilNet

I know it's a bit of a ways west, but has the upgraded interchange at IL-47 done anything to reduce the traffic count at the Randall Road interchange? I could possibly imagine some traffic for more Eastern parts of Huntley or even Western parts of Lake in the Hills might be more compelled to use IL-47 now that it has been upgraded. Though, this doesn't take away from the fact that Randall Road should be six lanes from Algonquin down through St. Charles.

Brandon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on January 02, 2015, 12:27:45 PM
I know it's a bit of a ways west, but has the upgraded interchange at IL-47 done anything to reduce the traffic count at the Randall Road interchange?

Probably not.  The IL-47 interchange existed for westbound exit/eastbound entrance before.  Eastbound exit and westbound entrance were previously easier to go over to US-20.  It's just a short hop down to Stark's Junction (US-20 and IL-72) from the IL-47 interchange.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

^ The IL 47 interchange rebuild might have actually sent a tad more traffic to the Randall Road interchange, since the formerly free EB entrance and WB exit were tolled at IL 47 after the rebuild.

I would be curious though as to how much a new traffic a interchange at either Tyrrell Road or IL 72 might draw away from Randall Road.

I-39

And here we are almost exactly 5 years later and Kane County has opened a study for the I-90/Randall Road interchange. Study runs from Big Timber Rd north to IL-72.

https://www.randallover90.com/

I guess now that Longmeadow is winding down, Kane DOT can finally turn their attention to some long overdue upgrades to Randall Road.

The points in my original post haven't changed and things have gotten even worse since then.

I am surprised the study only goes to IL-72 and not all the way to Longmeadow. Then again, upgrading the interchange is probably going to cost a ton of $$ so that is where resources need to go. I wonder if the tollway will contribute any money as well?

ilpt4u

Perfect place for the 1st 4 Level Stack in Illinois.../sarcasm (only slightly, tho)

Give it the IL 59@I-88 treatment and go DDI? ISTHA also added a DDI for Elmhurst Rd@I-90

Been awhile since I lived in McHenry County, but that Randall Rd @ I-90 Interchange needed upgraded a decade ago

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on December 10, 2019, 06:06:56 PM
And here we are almost exactly 5 years later and Kane County has opened a study for the I-90/Randall Road interchange. Study runs from Big Timber Rd north to IL-72.

https://www.randallover90.com/

I guess now that Longmeadow is winding down, Kane DOT can finally turn their attention to some long overdue upgrades to Randall Road.

The points in my original post haven't changed and things have gotten even worse since then.

I am surprised the study only goes to IL-72 and not all the way to Longmeadow. Then again, upgrading the interchange is probably going to cost a ton of $$ so that is where resources need to go. I wonder if the tollway will contribute any money as well?

at that basic level just add the 3rd lane each way over I-90

Revive 755

I could see the right turn from WB I-90 to NB Randall getting upgraded to a triple.  It already backs up a good distance in the late afternoon.

ET21

DDI should work for this one. IL-59 was nasty with chronic backups all the time until the DDI was completed. Now it's very smooth
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

edwaleni

The 2040 Kane County Transportation Plan is found here if you want to see what they are prioritizing.

http://www.co.kane.il.us/dot/planning/2040%20Transportation%20Plan.pdf

I-39

Quote from: ET21 on December 12, 2019, 09:02:36 AM
DDI should work for this one. IL-59 was nasty with chronic backups all the time until the DDI was completed. Now it's very smooth

Would a DDI be better than an SPUI?

Rick Powell

Quote from: I-39 on December 12, 2019, 12:32:14 PM

DDIs and SPUIs are similar in operational efficiencies over conventional diamond interchanges. SPUIs can fit into a slightly smaller space but usually cost more. Neither are ideal for pedestrians compared to a conventional diamond. DDIs seem to be gaining favor with DOTs as compared to SPUIs.

ET21

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 13, 2019, 12:54:13 PM

DDIs and SPUIs are similar in operational efficiencies over conventional diamond interchanges. SPUIs can fit into a slightly smaller space but usually cost more. Neither are ideal for pedestrians compared to a conventional diamond. DDIs seem to be gaining favor with DOTs as compared to SPUIs.

The DDI with I-90/Elmhurst is somewhat pedestrian friendly, however I haven't seen anyone use it yet. Plus the sidewalks immediately dead end after the movements are pretty much completed
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

I-39

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 13, 2019, 12:54:13 PM

The goal here should be to consolidate as many traffic lights as possible, so an SPUI might be better.

paulthemapguy

To be clear, the congestion being lamented is on Randall Road, not I-90-- correct?  I could see the SB-to-EB left turn movement causing a lot of backups.  Is that what's going on?  It looks like ISTHA might have a large blob of ROW on the southwest corner of the interchange...maybe they could stick a single cloverleaf ramp there to improve flow?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Revive 755

^ Based on the study website, I would take the main focus to be Randall

I-39

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 30, 2019, 10:10:32 AM
To be clear, the congestion being lamented is on Randall Road, not I-90-- correct?  I could see the SB-to-EB left turn movement causing a lot of backups.  Is that what's going on?  It looks like ISTHA might have a large blob of ROW on the southwest corner of the interchange...maybe they could stick a single cloverleaf ramp there to improve flow?

There really isn't a lot of ROW there. My guess is given the tight development in the area, and the need for less stoplights so close to one another, an SPUI will be done here.

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on January 02, 2020, 07:43:25 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 30, 2019, 10:10:32 AM

There really isn't a lot of ROW there.

Google shows plenty of open land on the south side of I-90.  Definitely enough to fit in a SB to EB loop, going off of the new loop ramp at the I-88 and IL 47 interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.