News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: route17fan on October 01, 2019, 10:11:52 PM
Speaking of I-84 (NY), I was in R8 this past weekend and noticed sign posts just past exit 2 eastbound in the median right at a No U Turn location. Any idea what they are for? Obviously a sign install, but I am not sure what kind.
Probably a VMS sign.  I know more of those are being installed around the state.

Quote from: astralentity on October 04, 2019, 06:39:26 AM
I saw this morning while bringing my folks to the airport, that the new Northway "exit 3" southbound on ramp is open, and the old exit 4 on ramp is closed.  What's the planned finishing timeframe for that mess?
There's more discussion on that project here.

Quote from: kalvado on October 04, 2019, 07:46:07 AM
Quote from: astralentity on October 04, 2019, 06:39:26 AM
I saw this morning while bringing my folks to the airport, that the new Northway "exit 3" southbound on ramp is open, and the old exit 4 on ramp is closed.  What's the planned finishing timeframe for that mess?
Those ramps are open for a week at least. But it will be worse before becoming better. Repavement of main road is apparently being planned, and that will be interesting. Flyover ramp seems to require a bit more work.
I would speculate that southbound portion may be done on 2 -3 weeks, but northbound may go on hold till next season
There was repaving when the bridges were replaced too, and that wasn't bad.  I can't imagine there would be lane closures during rush hour.

A lot of the northbound work is probably dependent on how long it takes to finish the sound wall and overhead sign structures.  The lane shifts are already gone.  Southbound, there are still lane shifts, and grading/paving needs to be done for the new exit 3 and 4 off ramps as well as the exit 5 on ramp (which is only barely visible from NY 155 and not visible from I-87 or the existing exit 4 ramp at all).

I don't know what the timetable is, but it's not unprecedented for NYSDOT to open things as late as December (when I-781 opened).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on October 04, 2019, 01:48:12 PM

There was repaving when the bridges were replaced too, and that wasn't bad.  I can't imagine there would be lane closures during rush hour.

A lot of the northbound work is probably dependent on how long it takes to finish the sound wall and overhead sign structures.  The lane shifts are already gone.  Southbound, there are still lane shifts, and grading/paving needs to be done for the new exit 3 and 4 off ramps as well as the exit 5 on ramp (which is only barely visible from NY 155 and not visible from I-87 or the existing exit 4 ramp at all).

I don't know what the timetable is, but it's not unprecedented for NYSDOT to open things as late as December (when I-781 opened).

There is plenty of heavy machinery on southbound shoulder, some seem to be trucked in in a past few days. There is a lot of gravel being compacted on the shoulder of southbound mainline. An overpass on northbound is milled so that geotextile is sticking out. Pretty good indications of at least some pavement work being planned.

vdeane

Quote from: kalvado on October 04, 2019, 02:44:17 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 04, 2019, 01:48:12 PM

There is plenty of heavy machinery on southbound shoulder, some seem to be trucked in in a past few days. There is a lot of gravel being compacted on the shoulder of southbound mainline. An overpass on northbound is milled so that geotextile is sticking out. Pretty good indications of at least some pavement work being planned.

I didn't say that pavement work wasn't being planned.  But southbound still needs a lot of work - grading for the remainder of the exit 3 ramp only began this week after the on ramp was moved, and work can't proceed on the new exit 4 off ramp and exit 5 on ramp until that is open.  I also think the resurfacing of the northbound lanes causing carmageddon for several weeks like you seems to be implying is overblown.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

I still don't understand why they got rid of the shoulders on Albany-Shaker Road.  I actually broke down on that stretch by the airport a couple of years ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

I actually took a drive down there to see what's going on with that.  My guess would be to minimize ROW costs for the multi-use path and/or traffic calming.  It matches the stretch along the airport parking, so it's less noticeable than I thought it would be.

Meanwhile, NB Northway paving has begun.  Contrary to Kalvado's predictions, traffic was flowing freely, no carmageddon in sight.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on October 05, 2019, 10:35:43 PM
I actually took a drive down there to see what's going on with that.  My guess would be to minimize ROW costs for the multi-use path and/or traffic calming.  It matches the stretch along the airport parking, so it's less noticeable than I thought it would be.

Meanwhile, NB Northway paving has begun.  Contrary to Kalvado's predictions, traffic was flowing freely, no carmageddon in sight.
Wait until Monday... It takes no specific reason to have a parking lot on that highway, and with paving.... Maybe I'll be back home by 8,  as I usually wait until traffic clears

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on October 05, 2019, 10:35:43 PM

I don't think the tradeoff for that stupidly wide multiuse path for no shoulder is a good one.  They put a curb in, so if a car has issues, they have to just park in the lane.  Seems just stupid from a safety standpoint.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

And whatever it worth... Times Union article says the estimated completion date of Exit 3 project is December 20th.

Michael

While looking at train videos on YouTube a couple nights ago, I came across a few interesting road-related clips.

This video shows the Can of Worms construction in Rochester in 1987 starting at 7:55 (look behind the yellow trailer):

This video shows the Can of Worms construction in 1989 starting at 5:58 (look behind the same yellow trailer):

This video shows the old and new Bridge Street bridges in East Syracuse:

baugh17

Quote from: Michael on October 15, 2019, 07:27:37 PM
While looking at train videos on YouTube a couple nights ago, I came across a few interesting road-related clips.

The two Rochester videos appear to be the same video.

The Can of Worms reconstruction project began in March 1988.  Judging by the progress that I am able to see...and some patches of snow on the ground, I would say this was recorded maybe early 1990 (The project was completed in 1991).

Also of note (Timestamps correspond to the first video)...

1:14  I-490/Inner Loop interchange in downtown Rochester
7:51  Winton Rd.
9:18  Lincoln Rd. in East Rochester
9:49  Main St. (NY 250) in Fairport
10:31 Wayneport Rd. in Macedon (?)

cl94

I was through the NY 17 Exit 131 construction today and it is (finally) operating as a DDI. This is likely new within the last couple of weeks and none of the online map platforms show it. It's a 2-lane exit from I-87 with an option lane. Detour ramp to 6/17 WB remains in place, don't think the new WB entrance ramp is open yet. Didn't get pictures thanks to the cops hanging out in the median on the bridge.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

shadyjay

Traveled the length of I-84 in New York state today on a trip from CT to Ohio.  Sign replacement project on I-84 has reached the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge.  New signs are up westbound up to the bridge... no new signs observed west of the bridge, but lots of new signposts are up.  The ones in the median appear to be for new VMSs, as several new ones are in the median east of the bridge. 

I will be travelling eastbound later in the week and hope to get the pics up by next weekend.

cl94

Quote from: shadyjay on October 20, 2019, 10:52:14 PM
New signs are up westbound up to the bridge... no new signs observed west of the bridge, but lots of new signposts are up.  The ones in the median appear to be for new VMSs, as several new ones are in the median east of the bridge.

Several new VMSes are going up across the state. I-87 is getting them up to the Adirondack Park boundary, formerly only portables existed north of Saratoga Springs. I-88 has a bunch of poles/equipment boxes in the median, too.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

seicer

I have noticed them along I-81 and at areas along I-86.

empirestate

Traveled the length of I-84 in New York state today on a trip from CT to Ohio.  Sign replacement project on I-84 has reached the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge.  New signs are up westbound up to the bridge... no new signs observed west of the bridge, but lots of new signposts are up.  The ones in the median appear to be for new VMSs, as several new ones are in the median east of the bridge. 

I will be travelling eastbound later in the week and hope to get the pics up by next weekend.

I can also report that the weird striping situation I reported on earlier has been remedied.

EDIT: Also, I noticed yesterday that new sign supports are in place in the vicinity of exit 10, suggesting that new, renumbered signs are soon to appear.

D-Dey65

For decades, I've advocated closing the Meadowbrook Road interchange along Southern State Parkway duet to it's close proximity between the Meadowbrook State Parkway and Merrick Avenue. Now I've also decided that the northbound on-ramp from Harris Avenue to the Saw Mill River Parkway ought to be closed, because the on-ramp for NY 117 is close enough.

SignBridge

I agree about closing the Meadowbrook Rd. Interchange. That stretch of Southern State Pkwy. is badly antiquated. Too many entrances and exits. And the S.S. Pkwy/Meadowbrook Pkwy. Interchange is badly in need of reconstruction to bring it up to modern standards.

Think anyone at NYS DOT is paying attention?

D-Dey65

I remember a letter to Newsday advocating a new interchange between the Meadowbrook State Parkway and Jerusalem Avenue! Thank God nobody in NYSDOT was listening to them. The only thing that should happen with Jerusalem Avenue is that it should be extended as NY 105 west of NY 106.

nysdot_employee

Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2019, 10:55:41 PM
New signs are up westbound up to the bridge... no new signs observed west of the bridge, but lots of new signposts are up.  The ones in the median appear to be for new VMSs, as several new ones are in the median east of the bridge.

Several new VMSes are going up across the state. I-87 is getting them up to the Adirondack Park boundary, formerly only portables existed north of Saratoga Springs. I-88 has a bunch of poles/equipment boxes in the median, too.

Yes, there is another Governor-Initiated project to install VMS and cameras along major corridors throughout upstate to improve communication during snow and ice season. Its a good project to improve our ITS infrastructure, but the upper management's personal interest in everything being complete by Nov 1, is bordering on obsessive. The Chief of Staff is personally driving around to verify installations for some reason so he can report to the Gov's Chamber. The politics have gotten out of control.

GenExpwy

Quote from: nysdot_employee on October 29, 2019, 10:10:21 AM
Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2019, 10:55:41 PM

Yes, there is another Governor-Initiated project to install VMS and cameras along major corridors throughout upstate to improve communication during snow and ice season. Its a good project to improve our ITS infrastructure, but the upper management's personal interest in everything being complete by Nov 1, is bordering on obsessive. The Chief of Staff is personally driving around to verify installations for some reason so he can report to the Gov's Chamber. The politics have gotten out of control.

Another type of VMS installation:
On the 4-lane divided section of NY 36 north of Hornell, about a half-mile before I-86 on each side, there are brand-new plain concrete slabs at ground level, for use as (semi-?)permanent parking spots for portable VMS's. Is this a new NYSDOT thing?

goldfishcrackers4

Anyone have any ideas what this new barrier will be? I can't find anything further.

https://www.uticaod.com/news/20191029/dot-arterial-drainage-to-be-addressed

SM-G960U

"It's the law (of physics). I don't share the road!"
-Unknown

froggie

Probably some sort of guiderail guardrail instead of a Jersey barrier.

seicer

What determines what type of guardrail is installed in New York state?

NYSDOT is replacing guardrails along NY 13 and they are using all of the available types:
* W-Beam with close and far-spaced channel posts
* Cable Barriers
* Box Beam with close and far-spaced square posts

There doesn't seem to be any pattern for the installation or selection of guardrail types. For instance, a W-Beam was used on a section with a moderate drop-off with close-spaced channel posts, but a box-beam was used elsewhere with far-spaced square posts. It's not a criticism, but is there a document from NYSDOT that explains their usage?

vdeane

Basically, there's a ton of factors that need to be weighed when selecting the type of guide rail (which is apparently two words, you learn something new every day!) to use.
https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/engineering/design/dqab/hdm/hdm-repository/chapt_10.pdf
https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/engineering/design/dqab/hdm

empirestate

An update on I-84: about half of the signs between at least NY 17K and the river have been converted to the new exit numbers. Notable exceptions remain at (old) exits 7 and 10 (and 11).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.