News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

OH 32 from I-275 to Batavia to become a freeway

Started by bandit957, December 31, 2017, 07:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

A family member told me OH 32 from I-275 to Batavia is going to become a full freeway. This freeway will be up to Interstate standards.

Does that make you soil your pants with glee?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abqtraveler

Quote from: bandit957 on December 31, 2017, 07:00:32 PM
A family member told me OH 32 from I-275 to Batavia is going to become a full freeway. This freeway will be up to Interstate standards.

They've been talking for years about making that stretch of OH-32 an extension of I-74. Last I heard is that North Carolina is the only state that's really pursuing the completion of I-74, while the remaining states it would pass through have given up on finishing their secrions of the extension.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

GreenLanternCorps

I like the idea, but not quite that much...

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'll believe it when I see it.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

sparker

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 01, 2018, 02:09:57 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.

Even if the news is accurate, there's no reason to think that anyone is even thinking of I-74 or any other Interstate along OH 32 at this time; Ohio does have a history of constructing freeways, often to Interstate grade, that are not themselves Interstates:  OH 11, US 35, US 24 (the freeway segments), parts of US 30, US 33 -- the list goes on.  I haven't been on OH 32 since the late '90's; local posters are likely to know better than I if there has been sufficient development outward from the I-275 loop to warrant upgrade to a freeway.  But it's premature to even assume there's a I-74 "bandwagon" on which to jump; if it happens, it's probably simply to serve local needs.

triplemultiplex

Great!
Should've been done 20 years ago.
As a major inter-regional corridor feeding a major city, OH 32 should've been a freeway from the get-go clear across Clermont County.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SP Cook

This is a great and needed project, and should have been done decades ago.  They also need a direct expressway access from 275 on into downtown, but that will never happen.

Henry

Unless there's some sort of news link to this report, I'll be skeptical of it actually happening, but that would indeed be a nice thing to have, even if I-74 is not going to run on it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

It's been awhile since I have been there, and have actually been on that road only once or twice despite its relative proximity to me, but isn't there a lot of commercial development immediately east of I-275? Won't this necessitate either buying a lot of expensive right of way, or building an elaborate set of frontage/backage roads?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

Quote from: abqtraveler on December 31, 2017, 10:05:31 PMThey've been talking for years about making that stretch of OH-32 an extension of I-74. Last I heard is that North Carolina is the only state that's really pursuing the completion of I-74, while the remaining states it would pass through have given up on finishing their secrions of the extension.

That's correct. NC is the only state hell-bent on building I-73/I-74 despite the fact that other states have abandoned the project. The only other state that's interested is South Carolina, but they want the feds to pay for it. Yeah, not gonna happen.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on January 04, 2018, 12:59:26 PM
It's been awhile since I have been there, and have actually been on that road only once or twice despite its relative proximity to me, but isn't there a lot of commercial development immediately east of I-275? Won't this necessitate either buying a lot of expensive right of way, or building an elaborate set of frontage/backage roads?

Probably. But I almost never go out that way anymore.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ad516

First post here, yay! As a local of Cincinnati, this type of thing has been proposed for years, and despite some upgrades to the 32 corridor, nothing ever comes of the 74 talk because the state has been silent about funding it.

ad516

Quote from: LM117 on January 04, 2018, 01:33:34 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on December 31, 2017, 10:05:31 PMThey've been talking for years about making that stretch of OH-32 an extension of I-74. Last I heard is that North Carolina is the only state that's really pursuing the completion of I-74, while the remaining states it would pass through have given up on finishing their secrions of the extension.

That's correct. NC is the only state hell-bent on building I-73/I-74 despite the fact that other states have abandoned the project. The only other state that's interested is South Carolina, but they want the feds to pay for it. Yeah, not gonna happen.

VA can literally just add 74 signs to the 77 corridor, why aren't they doing it?

hotdogPi

Quote from: ad516 on January 05, 2018, 12:25:25 PM

VA can literally just add 74 signs to the 77 corridor, why aren't they doing it?

Because Virginia knows the two segments of I-74 won't be connected, like everyone else except North Carolina.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ad516

Quote from: 1 on January 05, 2018, 12:29:17 PM
Quote from: ad516 on January 05, 2018, 12:25:25 PM

Because Virginia knows the two segments of I-74 won't be connected, like everyone else except North Carolina.

Good point, the best thing to do at the moment is renumber the corridor in NC/SC as 34/36 or something and just leave it at that. Connecting the two 74s seems like a lost cause at this point.

Bitmapped

Upgrading SR 32 is listed in ODOT TRAC Tier III (http://www.dot.state.oh.us/trac/TRAC%20List/2017.12.14_DRAF_2018_2021_MN_CO_LIST.pdf) which means that ODOT will do design work and perhaps buy some ROW but there's no actual commitment for constructing it.

ODOT's plans call for tying SR 32 into Red Bank Road, which provides access to I-71.

Buck87

The latest news in funding for this is that TRAC has awarded $5M that will be used for property acquisition:

http://clermontcountyohio.gov/2018/01/24/odot-awards-5m-for-sr-32-improvements/

The Ghostbuster

Upgrade OH 32 into a freeway first. Then, maybe 50 to 100 years from now, we can talk about numbering it Interstate 74.

dvferyance

I would love to see I-74 extended over OH-32 to US 23 and 52 down to Huntington WV. However I would end it there the West Virginia segment is not needed. But still any upgrades to OH-32 is good news I would at least like to see all the traffic lights gone. At least interchanges built at US 62 and OH 41.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.