News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-345 in Dallas?

Started by roadcrazed, August 08, 2013, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 19, 2017, 02:03:14 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2017, 02:00:29 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 07, 2016, 01:02:34 AM
Extend I-45 to Big Cabin, Oklahoma at the junction of I-44. That's my take on it. Screw all this tear down the freeways to make way for hipsters on bicycles smelling of patchouli nonsense. We're still a very car oriented nation. There is no way of getting around that. I'm not riding my bicycle from Lawton to freaking Oklahoma City just to have some fun. This isn't the 1800's where you make a month of a trip like that! Damn.

Tearing down freeways in Dallas (or Houston) seems really crazy. I can sort of understand the logic with the I-45 tear down plan in downtown Houston. They're going to beef up the freeway on the back side of downtown in response. I see no case of this happening with downtown Dallas. What is going to make up for removing a big chunk of I-45? It's really going to suck if I-45 ends at I-30 and the link the North Central Expressway turns into some traffic jammed bottle-neck at-grade boulevard. That would remove any chance of extending I-45 from its current downtown Dallas terminus North into Oklahoma. Believe me, that corridor along US-75 and US-69 up to Big Cabin needs to be Interstate quality. The truck traffic on that corridor is insane.

Wow.  Just....wow.

I actually don't refuse to drive somewhere just because there's no Interstate to get me there.  Weird, I know.

what is the point of this comment? did anyone even insinuate this?

Sorry, there.  My reading was that I-45 should be extended up to I-44 because, without that, you might as well ride your bicycle from Big Cabin to Dallas (as from Lawton to Oklahoma City).  That was my terribly socially unacceptable way of saying the highway is fine the way it is.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

silverback1065

Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2017, 02:37:03 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on October 19, 2017, 02:03:14 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2017, 02:00:29 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 07, 2016, 01:02:34 AM
Extend I-45 to Big Cabin, Oklahoma at the junction of I-44. That's my take on it. Screw all this tear down the freeways to make way for hipsters on bicycles smelling of patchouli nonsense. We're still a very car oriented nation. There is no way of getting around that. I'm not riding my bicycle from Lawton to freaking Oklahoma City just to have some fun. This isn't the 1800's where you make a month of a trip like that! Damn.

Tearing down freeways in Dallas (or Houston) seems really crazy. I can sort of understand the logic with the I-45 tear down plan in downtown Houston. They're going to beef up the freeway on the back side of downtown in response. I see no case of this happening with downtown Dallas. What is going to make up for removing a big chunk of I-45? It's really going to suck if I-45 ends at I-30 and the link the North Central Expressway turns into some traffic jammed bottle-neck at-grade boulevard. That would remove any chance of extending I-45 from its current downtown Dallas terminus North into Oklahoma. Believe me, that corridor along US-75 and US-69 up to Big Cabin needs to be Interstate quality. The truck traffic on that corridor is insane.

Wow.  Just....wow.

I actually don't refuse to drive somewhere just because there's no Interstate to get me there.  Weird, I know.

what is the point of this comment? did anyone even insinuate this?

Sorry, there.  My reading was that I-45 should be extended up to I-44 because, without that, you might as well ride your bicycle from Big Cabin to Dallas (as from Lawton to Oklahoma City).  That was my terribly socially unacceptable way of saying the highway is fine the way it is.

i wasn't yelling at you, i was just confused by your comment. that clears it up

bugo

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 16, 2015, 04:48:14 PM
Interstate 345 never should have existed. It should always either been a part of Interstate 45 or a part of US 75. Or maybe a spur from Interstate 30 (or Interstate 20 when it went through Dallas and Fort Worth).

It is a part of US 75. It isn't even signed.

bugo

Anybody who thinks it is a good idea to remove I-345 is either huffing bug spray, is dumb as rocks or is a car-hater who wants to make everybody's lives miserable because they are smug assholes. I've driven through there many times and traffic is bad enough how it is. Last time I was down there I got stuck in a jam going from 75/345 south to 30 east at 7:30pm. If the freeway were to be removed traffic would have been backed up to Sherman.

Bobby5280

Quote from: kphogerSorry, there.  My reading was that I-45 should be extended up to I-44 because, without that, you might as well ride your bicycle from Big Cabin to Dallas (as from Lawton to Oklahoma City).  That was my terribly socially unacceptable way of saying the highway is fine the way it is.

The current highway is not fine the way it is. The damned thing is dangerous. I've driven on a lot of highways around the US and it's easy to say US-69 from the Red River to Big Cabin has a great deal of traffic on it and far more than the usual US highway's share of semi-truck traffic. There's lots of fatalities on this route due to the at-grade intersections with what amounts to Interstate highway level traffic loads.

I really don't give a damn what number or name the road is called or if it ever carries an Interstate designation, but the fact remains that SOB of a route should be a limited access Interstate quality route from the Red River to Big Cabin and I-44. The I-45 designation would make sense though. Call it the Boaty McBoatface Route for all I care. The current route, with all its driveways and at-grade intersections sucks ass.

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 20, 2017, 12:36:29 AM
Quote from: kphogerSorry, there.  My reading was that I-45 should be extended up to I-44 because, without that, you might as well ride your bicycle from Big Cabin to Dallas (as from Lawton to Oklahoma City).  That was my terribly socially unacceptable way of saying the highway is fine the way it is.

The current highway is not fine the way it is. The damned thing is dangerous. I've driven on a lot of highways around the US and it's easy to say US-69 from the Red River to Big Cabin has a great deal of traffic on it and far more than the usual US highway's share of semi-truck traffic. There's lots of fatalities on this route due to the at-grade intersections with what amounts to Interstate highway level traffic loads.

I really don't give a damn what number or name the road is called or if it ever carries an Interstate designation, but the fact remains that SOB of a route should be a limited access Interstate quality route from the Red River to Big Cabin and I-44. The I-45 designation would make sense though. Call it the Boaty McBoatface Route for all I care. The current route, with all its driveways and at-grade intersections sucks ass.

I'd venture a guess that now that I-49 is complete between I-44 and KC that a significant amount of truck traffic that would normally have been slogging through OKC on I-35 has shifted to US 69 as a mileage shortcut from DFW to KC (and vice-versa), mixing in with the traffic that traditionally used that route en route to St. Louis.  What was merely a pain in the ass (the smaller towns along the route + the Muskogee area) with the traffic levels I experienced the last time I was on the route around 2005 would be almost untenable with any substantial increase.  This is one of those regional corridors -- like US 287 between DFW and Amarillo in TX -- that would be under most circumstances a "lock" for Interstate upgrade consideration -- if it were anywhere but OK (how 287 has flown under TX radar is a mystery to me as well!)......or maybe VA!  There's even a piece of "add-on" ISTEA legislation floating around out there that actually authorizes an Interstate corridor on US 69 as far north as I-40; it's "grandfathered" in if OK ever wants to do something about it.  But I'll refrain from an assessment from the political side (as it would get flushed anyway!) and simply state that without a sea change in OKC no new Interstate projects, regardless of appropriateness, will likely happen within that state -- sad but true!   

Scott5114

Call it the Boaty McBoatface Route for all I care.

I feel like this calls for a OTA standard turnpike marker to be created with this name. (I would do it but text on a curve is a pain in the ass.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

longhorn

Quote from: sparker on October 20, 2017, 12:55:26 AM

I-69/75 has been the go to route for trucks trying to get to I-44 from DFW for decades. Its shorter than I-35 to OKC then I-44. Of course there are going to be alot of trucks on it. No excuse OK and the federal government has not spent money on it to expand it. Or why OK has not sought to make it an interestate designation.

I'd venture a guess that now that I-49 is complete between I-44 and KC that a significant amount of truck traffic that would normally have been slogging through OKC on I-35 has shifted to US 69 as a mileage shortcut from DFW to KC (and vice-versa), mixing in with the traffic that traditionally used that route en route to St. Louis.  What was merely a pain in the ass (the smaller towns along the route + the Muskogee area) with the traffic levels I experienced the last time I was on the route around 2005 would be almost untenable with any substantial increase.  This is one of those regional corridors -- like US 287 between DFW and Amarillo in TX -- that would be under most circumstances a "lock" for Interstate upgrade consideration -- if it were anywhere but OK (how 287 has flown under TX radar is a mystery to me as well!)......or maybe VA!  There's even a piece of "add-on" ISTEA legislation floating around out there that actually authorizes an Interstate corridor on US 69 as far north as I-40; it's "grandfathered" in if OK ever wants to do something about it.  But I'll refrain from an assessment from the political side (as it would get flushed anyway!) and simply state that without a sea change in OKC no new Interstate projects, regardless of appropriateness, will likely happen within that state -- sad but true!   

austrini

Quote from: bugo on October 19, 2017, 07:01:20 PM
Anybody who thinks it is a good idea to remove I-345 is either huffing bug spray, is dumb as rocks or is a car-hater who wants to make everybody's lives miserable because they are smug assholes. I've driven through there many times and traffic is bad enough how it is. Last time I was down there I got stuck in a jam going from 75/345 south to 30 east at 7:30pm. If the freeway were to be removed traffic would have been backed up to Sherman.

Basically everyone who lives here in the city wants it gone, and everyone who lives far away or in the exurbs and comes through here periodically to get to Houston wants it to stay. I like freeways, just not this one.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

silverback1065

Quote from: austrini on October 25, 2017, 01:00:09 PM

Basically everyone who lives here in the city wants it gone, and everyone who lives far away or in the exurbs and comes through here periodically to get to Houston wants it to stay. I like freeways, just not this one.

Realign 45 to tie into the 30 35E mess, then have it jump back using 366.  Also, just because some in Dallas want it down isn't the sole reason it should be removed.  Dallas and its suburbs should come to an agreement!   

sparker

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 25, 2017, 03:31:43 PM

Realign 45 to tie into the 30 35E mess, then have it jump back using 366.  Also, just because some in Dallas want it down isn't the sole reason it should be removed.  Dallas and its suburbs should come to an agreement!   

Or simply do what was outlined and discussed earlier and sink the MF below grade and put a park, a town square, a farmers' market, or whatever floats local boats on the top lid and let everyone have a party celebrating a win-win!  No need to think in stark black & white when so many shades of gray (50?) are available as potential solutions.

Plutonic Panda

Just because it impacts people who live around it doesn't mean they should get they say in removing it. Sometimes things are there for a greater good. People need to look beyond themselves and understand that others have the right to live in the suburbs, living the lifestyle that they choose while having decent connections to downtown and across the city.

longhorn

Quote from: longhorn on October 20, 2017, 11:53:50 AM

I-69/75 has been the go to route for trucks trying to get to I-44 from DFW for decades. Its shorter than I-35 to OKC then I-44. Of course there are going to be alot of trucks on it. No excuse OK and the federal government has not spent money on it to expand it. Or why OK has not sought to make it an interestate designation.

I-69/75 has been the go to route for trucks trying to get to I-44 from DFW for decades. Its shorter than I-35 to OKC then I-44. Of course there are going to be alot of trucks on it. Why OK has not gone to the government and politic this route to be an interestate is beyond me.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 25, 2017, 09:50:55 PM

Just because it impacts people who live around it doesn't mean they should get they say in removing it. Sometimes things are there for a greater good. People need to look beyond themselves and understand that others have the right to live in the suburbs, living the lifestyle that they choose while having decent connections to downtown and across the city.

Suburbanites also need to recognize that they don't get to dictate the terms by which a city organizes itself. Cuts both ways.

Quote from: longhorn on October 26, 2017, 09:33:50 AM

I-69/75 has been the go to route for trucks trying to get to I-44 from DFW for decades. Its shorter than I-35 to OKC then I-44. Of course there are going to be alot of trucks on it. Why OK has not gone to the government and politic this route to be an interestate is beyond me.

Bunch of small towns on the route that don't want to be bypassed, and don't want to lose their revenue sources. Their reps have been in OKC for a long time, too.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 20, 2017, 06:52:44 AM
Call it the Boaty McBoatface Route for all I care.

I feel like this calls for a OTA standard turnpike marker to be created with this name. (I would do it but text on a curve is a pain in the ass.)

Just forget the curve, then.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

silverback1065

Quote from: TXtoNJ on October 26, 2017, 10:20:42 AM

Suburbanites also need to recognize that they don't get to dictate the terms by which a city organizes itself. Cuts both ways.

Bunch of small towns on the route that don't want to be bypassed, and don't want to lose their revenue sources. Their reps have been in OKC for a long time, too.

that's just restating what we're saying

bugo

US 71 was an expressway all the way from Kansas City to Joplin and beyond years ago. It was slowly upgraded a bit at a time. I remember around 1985 that it was complete as far south as Jasper and was completed to I-44 not too long afterwards. This shift in traffic patterns you mention happened decades ago. The I-49 designation did little other than eliminate a half dozen at grades on minor roads along the trek. The speed limit was already 70 and there were no traffic lights until you got north of I-435/Bannister Road (Route W).

sparker

Quote from: bugo on October 27, 2017, 05:10:34 AM

US 71 was an expressway all the way from Kansas City to Joplin and beyond years ago. It was slowly upgraded a bit at a time. I remember around 1985 that it was complete as far south as Jasper and was completed to I-44 not too long afterwards. This shift in traffic patterns you mention happened decades ago. The I-49 designation did little other than eliminate a half dozen at grades on minor roads along the trek. The speed limit was already 70 and there were no traffic lights until you got north of I-435/Bannister Road (Route W).

The first time I drove US 71 from KC down to I-44/Joplin was back in 1999; at that time, it seemed like the typical Midwest freeway/expressway corridor -- freeway, complete w/grade separations around sizeable towns and at major junctions, and expressway, with at-grade intersections (albeit mostly channelized) in between.  Not much in the way of private/driveway access; it did feature substantial frontage roads, even in the expressway sections.  So, yes, it was quite improved by then and arguably ready for conversion to a full limited-access facility -- but south of Harrisonville it was still technically a "mixed bag" at the time, with about equal expressway and freeway mileage. 

Plutonic Panda

I agree with you which is why things can be done like tunneling or building caps to improve connectivity where a traditionally built freeway would usually cut through. No reason to tear it down. A lot of people use this freeway. Probably more than the amount of people that live right along it.

rte66man

100% correct.  Back in the 90's, there was a serious effort to build a parallel turnpike from north of Durant to McAlester.  You would not believe how fast that got shot down.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Those podunk shitholes along US 69 like Atoka, Stringtown and Kiowa can go fuck themselves. Why do they have enough power to stop a highway that is of national consequence? Every life that is lost is more blood upon the hands of the representatives of these towns. Every minute wasted, every bit of unnecessary pollution emitted, every bit of frustration is all their fault.

NE2

Every life lost or cut short by climate change is on your hands.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bobby5280

QuoteEvery life lost or cut short by climate change is on your hands.

Red Herring alert. So I guess we have to solve the very complicated (and politically polarized) issue of climate change before the state of Oklahoma puts any effort into addressing a screwed up, dangerous corridor totally overloaded with heavy truck traffic. How about all the extra damned truck exhaust getting belched into the air from semis having to crank through all those gears at every freaking traffic light along US-69 in Oklahoma? That's gotta be great for the greenhouse effect. Never mind the vehicles getting torpedoed and lives lost along the way.

The people in these towns trying to prevent a turnpike or Interstate from being built along the US-69 corridor must have rocks in their heads. Don't they realize the majority of long distance vehicle traffic prefers staying on Interstate corridors? There's loads of vehicles choosing the I-35/I-44 combo over stop light hell and speed trap hell along US-69. The idiots in those towns are leaving money on the table rather than saving any with their block headed actions.

silverback1065

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 07, 2017, 12:06:18 AM
QuoteEvery life lost or cut short by climate change is on your hands.

Red Herring alert. So I guess we have to solve the very complicated (and politically polarized) issue of climate change before the state of Oklahoma puts any effort into addressing a screwed up, dangerous corridor totally overloaded with heavy truck traffic. How about all the extra damned truck exhaust getting belched into the air from semis having to crank through all those gears at every freaking traffic light along US-69 in Oklahoma? That's gotta be great for the greenhouse effect. Never mind the vehicles getting torpedoed and lives lost along the way.

The people in these towns trying to prevent a turnpike or Interstate from being built along the US-69 corridor must have rocks in their heads. Don't they realize the majority of long distance vehicle traffic prefers staying on Interstate corridors? There's loads of vehicles choosing the I-35/I-44 combo over stop light hell and speed trap hell along US-69. The idiots in those towns are leaving money on the table rather than saving any with their block headed actions.
he's trolling you  :-D

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on November 06, 2017, 11:54:19 PM
Every life lost or cut short by climate change is on your hands.

Wouldn't eliminating stoplights slightly reduce pollution?
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.