It's 2019 and I still can't believe that...

Started by Roadgeekteen, January 01, 2019, 12:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on January 01, 2019, 02:32:47 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 02:21:26 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 01, 2019, 02:18:15 PMAlso I don't understand the point of this thread.
Probably supposed to be fill-in-the-blank.  "It's 2019 and I still can't believe that...I don't own a flying car."  Or "people still have landlines."  Or "people still drink root beer."

It started in 2014: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13587
And someone made the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"  joke back then. Was this the first year someone was too young to get it?

TheHighwayMan3561

people still chew bubble gum and watch Sesame Street.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

...that babies don't have cell phones surgically implanted in utero.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 04:17:59 PM
...that babies don't have cell phones surgically implanted in utero.
Only because they haven't figured out a way to make that compatible with planned obsolescence.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 04:36:52 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 04:21:02 PM
planned obsolescence

of the babies or the cell phones?
Cell phones. All babies become obsolete when they become toddlers. Or does no human ever become obsolete? What a fascinating philosophical question.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 04:41:35 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 04:36:52 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 04:21:02 PM
planned obsolescence

of the babies or the cell phones?
Cell phones. All babies become obsolete when they become toddlers. Or does no human ever become obsolete? What a fascinating philosophical question.

Maybe we become obsolete when the available upgrades no longer improve performance and total system failure is imminent.  I'd hate to think we become obsolete when we stop being compatible with other platforms.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 01, 2019, 04:45:30 PMMaybe we become obsolete when the available upgrades no longer improve performance and total system failure is imminent.
Fascinating.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 02:42:25 PM
Quote from: 1 on January 01, 2019, 02:32:47 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 02:21:26 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 01, 2019, 02:18:15 PMAlso I don't understand the point of this thread.
Probably supposed to be fill-in-the-blank.  "It's 2019 and I still can't believe that...I don't own a flying car."  Or "people still have landlines."  Or "people still drink root beer."

It started in 2014: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13587
And someone made the "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"  joke back then. Was this the first year someone was too young to get it?

I understand that joke (barely).

Ok then. I can't believe I don't have a car of my own yet.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Flint1979

I wasn't aware that this was a big deal. I was on the road in the middle of nowhere at midnight last night and really wasn't thinking about making the first post of the year on this site at that moment.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 01, 2019, 05:21:29 PM
I wasn't aware that this was a big deal. I was on the road in the middle of nowhere at midnight last night and really wasn't thinking about making the first post of the year on this site at that moment.

It's not a big deal, but there are some members on this forum with too much time on their hands and misplaced priorities who do think it's a big deal.

Flint1979

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 01, 2019, 05:49:06 PM

It's not a big deal, but there are some members on this forum with too much time on their hands and misplaced priorities who do think it's a big deal.
Looks to be that way. Myself I post when I can and don't dwell on how many posts I make here. Looks like some people really need to get their priorities straight.

US 89

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 01, 2019, 06:17:04 PM
Myself I post when I can and don't dwell on how many posts I make here. Looks like some people really need to get their priorities straight.

+2019

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 01, 2019, 06:17:04 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 01, 2019, 05:49:06 PM

Looks to be that way. Myself I post when I can and don't dwell on how many posts I make here. Looks like some people really need to get their priorities straight.

I just look at this way:  They had nothing better to do when the clock struck midnight, so why not try and be the first post of the new year?  It wouldn't matter to me personally , but it certainly doesn't scream LOSER either.  Just something fun to do once a year, I suppose.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 01, 2019, 04:59:29 PM
I understand that joke (barely).

I can't believe it's not butter, and dogs don't know it's not bacon.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

I got to be the first one to lock the first topic of 2019!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.