News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Truth Or Consequences

Started by Voyager, March 29, 2009, 05:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Who else thinks that this is the most awesome city name you've ever heard of? It is definitely a much better name than Hot Springs. Why did they rename it though?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Terry Shea

It was probably named after the old tv game show but I don't know why.  My question is why would they rename that city and not Elephant Butte?  What's the story behind that name?

Bryant5493

I didn't think that you were being serious, voyager, about the name of this city until I looked it up. Weird name.  :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Alex

For any wrestling fans on the forum, Truth or Consequences was the "hometown" of Mick Foley's "Cactus Jack" gimmick. The first time I ever heard of that city was watching one of his introductions on WCW in the early 1990s.

roadfro

QuoteIt was probably named after the old tv game show but I don't know why.  ...  What's the story behind that name?

It was named after the old game show, more specifically the earlier radio version.  From the city's website FAQ:
QuoteThe town's name was changed from "Hot Springs" to "Truth or Consequences" on March 31, 1950, after Ralph Edwards, the host of the popular game show "Truth or Consequences," called for any town in America to do so - in celebration of the show's ten year anniversary.
To thank the town that renamed itself for his show, Ralph Edwards did the first live coast-to-coast broadcast of Truth or Consequences from the eponymous town later in 1950.

More info here from the T or C Chamber of Commerce.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

RoadWarrior56

My 1960 Rand McNalley Road Atlas shows the town name as "Truth or Consequences" but below it in parenthesis is the town name of "(Hot Springs)".  Hot Springs must be the original town name.  I had never noticed two names for a single town in any map or atlas before.

Terry Shea

Quote from: roadfro on March 29, 2009, 08:12:47 PM
QuoteIt was probably named after the old tv game show but I don't know why.  ...  What's the story behind that name?

It was named after the old game show, more specifically the earlier radio version.  From the city's website FAQ:
QuoteThe town's name was changed from "Hot Springs" to "Truth or Consequences" on March 31, 1950, after Ralph Edwards, the host of the popular game show "Truth or Consequences," called for any town in America to do so - in celebration of the show's ten year anniversary.
To thank the town that renamed itself for his show, Ralph Edwards did the first live coast-to-coast broadcast of Truth or Consequences from the eponymous town later in 1950.

More info here from the T or C Chamber of Commerce.
So what's the story with Elephant Butte?  :sombrero:

Voyager

Yes, Hot Springs was the city's original name. I don't blame them for changing it. :spin:

Terry Shea

Quote from: voyager on March 29, 2009, 10:53:14 PM
Yes, Hot Springs was the city's original name. I don't blame them for changing it. :spin:
What's wrong with Hot Springs?

Voyager

Nothing, it's just one of the most common.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.