News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 50 in Clarksburg, WV

Started by Tom958, May 03, 2022, 02:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 08, 2022, 09:31:20 PM

Any idea if the Fort Henry Bridge was multi-lane divided when it first opened?  Most of those bridges were multi-lane undivided, like the Patrick Street Bridge in Charleston.  (Not even sure if there were any other long multi-lane bridges in West Virginia back then).

Yes...small raised concrete median is visible in some of the photos in this album:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/ohiocountypubliclibrary/albums/72157662231893993/with/49525892486/

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 08, 2022, 09:31:20 PM
Any idea if the Fort Henry Bridge was multi-lane divided when it first opened?  Most of those bridges were multi-lane undivided, like the Patrick Street Bridge in Charleston.  (Not even sure if there were any other long multi-lane bridges in West Virginia back then).

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 09, 2022, 06:24:55 AM
Yes...small raised concrete median is visible in some of the photos in this album:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/ohiocountypubliclibrary/albums/72157662231893993/with/49525892486/

Indeed, the 1958 USGS Map shows the Fort Henry Bridge as multi-lane divided expressway.  That certainly qualifies this section of I-70 the "oldest section" of freeway in the state.  And I agree with the parallels between the original layout of the Fort Henry Bridge and the original layout of the Clarksburg Expressway.  However, it is still debatable whether either one of those qualifies as the "first section" of freeway in the state.  I guess that I should leave that to the textbooks (still looking for my old copy).

seicer

I think I posted it on here but Beckley's brief freeway (WV 16) is pretty old too - 1958, I believe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.