News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-55 Multi-Car / truck wreck and fire(s) in the fog.

Started by bwana39, October 24, 2023, 03:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Yesterday there was a 150+ vehicle series of crashes on both the northbound AND southbound elevated structures of I-55 between Pass Manchac and I-10 on Interstate 55 in rural Paroisse de Saint-Jean-Baptiste (St. John the Baptist Parish) . Seven of more lives were lost. Several vehicles burned. DOTD is trying to get the wreckage off the structures to see if there is any structural damage. They hope to have it reopened to traffic later today.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/23/us/louisiana-fog-i55-crash-new-orleans/index.html
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Bobby5280

An Interstate bridge over a swamp and waterway is a pretty terrifying location to have a massive pile-up. Motorists couldn't pull off the road to escape the additional collisions that just keep happening. They're trapped on the bridge.

I just can't understand people driving blindly into fog (or smoke, heavy rain, etc). If I'm in bad enough weather and can't see enough road in front of me I'll pull over and stop. I'm not going to win any money or tough guy bonus points by driving blind.

Rothman

I also wonder about people stopping right on the road in dense fog.  Our drivers just aren't trained.

See also the I-476 fuel tanker fatal crash that happened over the weekend.  Someone got a flat tire and didn't pull off the road.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

edwaleni

bwana39

Apparently parts of the bridge is still closed with traffic detoured to "the low road" IE old US-51; a two lane road with shoulders. (Currently St John PR-51)

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/local/i-55-remains-closed-following-fatal-crash-here-are-some-alternate-routes/289-d9ac6690-78e0-428a-97fd-22444494f41c
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.