News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unsigned Concurrencies

Started by Amaury, November 11, 2022, 12:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

US 50 is probably the only one of its kind to have an unsigned concurrency with two different 3di's: I-305 in Sacramento and I-595 east of Washington.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

DTComposer

^^ Speaking of Sacramento, I'll add both CA-99 and CA-16 along US-50 and I-5. There are more "to CA-99" signs than there used to be, but I still don't think there are any reassurance markers.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DTComposer on November 16, 2022, 06:58:42 PM
^^ Speaking of Sacramento, I'll add both CA-99 and CA-16 along US-50 and I-5. There are more "to CA-99" signs than there used to be, but I still don't think there are any reassurance markers.

I've never seen a reference to a continuation of CA 16 on I-5 or US 50. 

dvferyance

hbelkins

Do Tennessee's unsigned state routes concurrent with US routes constitute "hidden" routes?

Route markers generally reference only the US highway -- contractor errors such as TN 29 being signed with US 27 at a couple of realigned intersections in Oneida as an obvious exception -- but the mile markers show the state route number, not the US route number.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

invincor

Minnesota also has US 12 in the Twin Cities area.  Going west-to-east, you get a "12 follow I-394" sign when it enters the beltway metro area, and then you don't see it signed again until it switches to I-94 in Minneapolis, and then it's hidden again the rest of the way through the state until you see it again in Wisconsin at the St. Croix River Bridge.  It's fully cosigned in WI until it departs for its own roadway again at Exit 4.

sbeaver44

PA 272 follows US 222 between Willow Street and the split north of downtown Lancaster.  I have yet to see a 222/272 sign in Lancaster.

According to some docs user NE2 posted a while back, PennDOT definitely provisions a SR 422 in counties like Perry and Mifflin that could suggest an invisible Ebensburg-Hershey US 422 silent behind US 22 and US 322.

Bickendan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 16, 2022, 07:01:58 PM
Quote from: DTComposer on November 16, 2022, 06:58:42 PM

I've never seen a reference to a continuation of CA 16 on I-5 or US 50. 
Agree. Annoyingly, CA 16 isn't an unsigned concurrency; it's a split route. One of the legs, ideally, would be renumbered if there isn't any intentions to put up reassurance or TO shields on the overlap.

CA 16 - split route
CA 1, 99 - unsigned concurrencies
US 12, 52 - signed as unsigned concurrencies ("US 52 follow I-94")
ORH xx - hidden route (save where stand alone ORH highways were directly promoted to OR routes -- ie, OR 380, OR 429)

Avalanchez71

I-65 and US 31 are concurrent in Northern AL and for less than a mile in TN.  There are no concurrent signs anywhere.  That portion of I-65 was the former "newer" alignment of US 31 that was four-laned in the 50s.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: zzcarp on November 15, 2022, 01:53:57 AM
Colorado has so many.

CO 128 is unsigned along its concurrency with US 287 even though it is now the same road all the way through.

CO 7 is unsigned along US 36 between Boulder and Lyons.

CO 14 is semi-signed using "TO" along its concurrency with US 287.

CO 60 is semi-signed as "TO" along its concurrency with the I-25 frontage road).

CO 52 is unsigned between I-76 in Wiggins and US 34 in Fort Morgan.

CO 17 is unsigned along US 285 (and a few blocks of US 160) between Antonito and Alamosa.

And of course, there's our famous unsigned US route overlaps:

US 87 along I-25 from Raton, NM to the Wyoming border.

US 85 along I-25 from the Texas/New Mexico border to Fountain, then again in Colorado Springs to Castle Rock, then its final unsigned concurrency along I-25 and I-70 between Santa Fe Drive and Vasquez Boulevard.

US 6 along I-76 from Brush to US 85 and along I-70 and I-25 in Denver. Then there are many along I-70 westbound including between Floyd Hill and Loveland Pass, from Silverthorne to Minturn, from Gypsum to Glenwood Springs, then west Glenwood to Canyon Creek, then De Beque to Palisade, then west Grand Junction to Green River UT.

US 50 is unsigned along I-70 from Utah to Grand Junction.

US 40 is unsigned along I-70 from Empire to the US 6 Clear Creek exit then along US 6 to the frontage road. It's again unsigned along I-70 between the Evergreen/Bergen Park exit to Genessee.

US 40 and US 287 are unsigned along I-70 from East Colfax in Denver to Limon.

US 36 is unsigned along the entire length of I-270 and I-70 between I-270 and Byers.

US 24 is unsigned along I-70 between Limon and County Road 12 west of Seibert.

What about 287/14 up my way? Debates have came and went as to whether or not 14 exists at all on 287. If the signs that say 'to' 14 are correct, I think this would count. Alternately, if 14 actually DOES exist on 287, then... murkiness.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on November 14, 2022, 07:40:39 PM
In that case, I would call them unsigned concurrencies.  FL-20 is not a hidden route.

FL 20 is one of those cases where it just sort of gives up its identity until it's ready to be an "independent route" again. There's so many hidden SRs underneath US Routes, so they avoid pulling a Georgia and signing them together for like 90-100% of its distance.

cwf1701

The only one i can think of for Michigan is US-131/I-296 between I-196 and I-96. Of note, I-296 has not been signed in Michigan since the late 1970s.

TBKS1

There are basically no signed concurrencies in Arkansas.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Quillz

Quote from: Amaury on November 11, 2022, 02:18:18 PM
It can be any unsigned concurrency that is only signed using the primary route instead of both.
Then nearly all routes that share roadway in California qualify. It doesn't officially sign concurrencies, and most aren't, but then some are. The aforementioned CA-1 concurrencies with US-101. But then you have ones like CA-168 and US-395 which are signed. So it's not very consistent.

KentuckyParkways

wrong way concurrency for you all: KY 80/KY 914 west of Somerset, to be fair this concurrency is less than a mile long but 914 is the signed highway. if you're headed east on 80 the only indication that you've left mainline 80 are the business 80 shields, unless you turned to go west on 914, then you would see 80 east Somerset signs about a 1/2 mile from the 80/business 80/914 intersection.

michravera

Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2022, 07:10:02 PM
For a hidden route, nobody ever has any need to know that route number.

For an unsigned concurrency, someone following the route from one end to the other would find themselves in the gap.

Examples in California: CASR-51 and I-305 are "secret" or "hidden" routes. They exist in law, but are never signed (except on PostMiles).

"Unsigned concurrencies" are the norm in California. What happens in law is that the route merges with another, ceases to exist for some distance, and then reappears at an exit. I-5 and CASR-33 as well as US-101 and CASR-1 do this at least a couple times each. In fact, I-80 eastbound and I-580 westbound are one of the few SIGNED concurrencies in the state.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: michravera on January 21, 2023, 02:48:09 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2022, 07:10:02 PM
For a hidden route, nobody ever has any need to know that route number.

For an unsigned concurrency, someone following the route from one end to the other would find themselves in the gap.

Examples in California: CASR-51 and I-305 are "secret" or "hidden" routes. They exist in law, but are never signed (except on PostMiles).

"Unsigned concurrencies" are the norm in California. What happens in law is that the route merges with another, ceases to exist for some distance, and then reappears at an exit. I-5 and CASR-33 as well as US-101 and CASR-1 do this at least a couple times each. In fact, I-80 eastbound and I-580 westbound are one of the few SIGNED concurrencies in the state.

CA 33 actually has reassurance shields on I-5.  A better example of the phenomenon you speak of is CA 59 and CA 140 not being signed with reassurance shields on CA 99 in Merced.

https://flic.kr/p/28nzsoo

https://flic.kr/p/29sX57V

Fredddie

Quote from: Amaury on November 11, 2022, 12:55:03 PM
I did a quick search for this topic, but the only thing I found was from 2012, and I didn't want to necro-bump a dead thread. What are some concurrencies you've noticed that are not signed?

Back on January 31, I took a drive to Columbia Falls, Montana; while watching the video again and looking at a map on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Highway_40#/map/0), as well as Google Maps, I noticed that Montana Highway 40 is concurrent with US Route 2 between West First Avenue and Halfmoon Road (which changes to US Route 2 on the south side of the intersection). However, signage wise, Montana has that section signed only as US Route 2, so going by that, Montana is saying Montana Highway 40 only runs between the junction of US Route 93 and the junction of US Route 2, just outside the city boundary of Columbia Falls. Assuming Montana knows its roads well, which they should, the only thing I can think of is that Montana Highway 40 was shortened at some point to just be between those junctions, thereby eliminating the concurrency, and maps just haven't updated, perhaps because it wasn't that long ago.

There's a good chance I made that particular map. I'll double check the road log when I get home today.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.