News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old Traffic Signals

Started by Alex, June 21, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Here's another eagle signal with the 12" enlarger units, this is in Elkin's Park, PA

Fish-head finned eagle signal by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

I also found an ancient Crouse-Hinds Art Deco!!!! And I ran into this by mistake

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco (side-view) by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Art Deco (side-view) by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

That Crouse-Hinds art deco is pretty damn old, I'd say it's been around since the 1950s!

And I found a pair of Crouse-Hinds Type Ms:

Crouse-Hinds Type M (not working) by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Type Ms by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Side-mounted Crouse-Hinds Type Ms by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

And finally a 1970s-era set of Eagle flatbacks (the most common type of old signal found in District 6)

Eagle flatbacks by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: traffic light guy on April 07, 2018, 09:50:17 PM
Here's another eagle signal with the 12" enlarger units, this is in Elkin's Park, PA

Now that is really interesting. I have never seen anything so bizarre like that before.

traffic light guy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 07, 2018, 10:01:59 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on April 07, 2018, 09:50:17 PM

Now that is really interesting. I have never seen anything so bizarre like that before.

Only three of those weird fish-like traffic lights are left, they're EXTREMELY rare. Ian has pictures of the other two. These were once pretty common in Pennsylvania during the Post-WWII and Vietnam War era.

traffic light guy

I found more older signals, nothing too special, just another Crouse-Hinds type M (Which Philly still has tons of left, despite the fact that the model discontinued over four decades ago)

Marbelite paired up with a Crouse-Hinds Type M by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Crouse-Hinds Type M with a Marbelite by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

It appears this one has a repaint, since a lot of CH model Ms that I see are as pale as ghosts

zzyzx

Moved from CT to Austin last year, and I'm surprised at the number of antiqued traffic signals that are still remaining, especially in certain areas downtown and north of the city.  This is off of Burnet Rd. in North Austin...but the combination of the narrow 4 lane road, older storefronts, and vertically mounted signals look like I'm driving back in any city in Connecticut...

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.32176,-97.7393583,3a,40.4y,6.52h,93.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slphEekO1EC5Xo14kahK8_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 

traffic light guy

Here are some 3Ms too (Not too old though, 20-30 years old)

A pair of 3M traffic signals by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

More 3M traffic signals by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

US71

Cameron, MO outside the railroad museum
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

traffic light guy

Levittown has a few goodies, like this eaglelux:
Eaglelux by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

And a slightly newer rodded flat-back:
Rodded Eagle flatback by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

traffic light guy

Quote from: US71 on May 03, 2018, 10:24:03 AM

That signal is from the stone age! Not sure what model it is, but those are some impressive shots!

US71

Quote from: traffic light guy on May 06, 2018, 09:55:26 AM
Quote from: US71 on May 03, 2018, 10:24:03 AM

That signal is from the stone age! Not sure what model it is, but those are some impressive shots!

It's a GE. It used to serve in Cameron along US 69.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

basilicon89

It's a General Electric four way. Stone age is a little excessive. Its from the 1940s. I have a GE four way myself.

traffic light guy

Where do you find these, I'm impressed

ErmineNotyours

Others have posted museum photos, so here are my pictures from Disney Hollywood Studios, Orlando, Florida.  The first one is part of the replica backlot that park guests may wander around
Replica traffic signal at Disney Hollywood Studios, Orlando, Florida by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

These semaphore signals are on the newer Sunset Boulevard street.  The combination signal and stop sign seem unlikely.
Replica semaphore signal, Disney Hollywood Studios, Orlando, Florida by Arthur Allen, on Flickr
Replica semaphore signal, Disney Hollywood Studios, Orlando, Florida by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

ErmineNotyours

Beacon on Beacon Way, Seattle, Washington.  This road is built on a water pipeline which creates a wide median, so supposed four-way stops only need flashing on three sides.  The fourth side was an unused incandescent yellow light, which looks strange with the new LED red.

Four-way LED flashing beacon, but an unused side is left incandescent yellow by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

ErmineNotyours

Traffic signal in the SODO neighborhood in Seattle, Washington.  You can't see it from this angle, but the light has been upgraded to LEDs, even though the illuminated informational sign is still lit by incandescent lights, and is left on all day.

The traffic signal is LED, but the backlight is incandescent by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

ErmineNotyours

Not sure if this belongs here, but this advanced warning signal for the Freemont Bridge in Seattle, Washington has mismatched backs.

Mismatched signal backings, Freemont Bridge, Seattle, Washington by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

mrsman

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 16, 2018, 12:40:04 AM
Beacon on Beacon Way, Seattle, Washington.  This road is built on a water pipeline which creates a wide median, so supposed four-way stops only need flashing on three sides.  The fourth side was an unused incandescent yellow light, which looks strange with the new LED red.

Four-way LED flashing beacon, but an unused side is left incandescent yellow by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Where is this beacon?  I'd like to check it out on GSV.

traffic light guy

It was taken in 2008, the beacon is most likely gone

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on May 17, 2018, 12:25:58 PM

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/910/41239818305_ce62d93f3d_c.jpg

Quote from: traffic light guy on May 17, 2018, 02:57:06 PM
It was taken in 2008, the beacon is most likely gone

They're still there. Both sides of the intersection have these old flashers: https://goo.gl/ixJMwJ

It's actually Beacon Ave @ So Cloverdale. Beacon Way is a short pipeline road in Renton.

For what it's worth, there are quite a few of these ancient four-way flashers throughout Seattle, all with a message tacked on below (although this one is unique in that it was clearly meant for an actual four-way intersection, instead of a one-way meeting a two-way).

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on May 17, 2018, 03:08:36 PM

They're still there. Both sides of the intersection have these old flashers: https://goo.gl/ixJMwJ

It's actually Beacon Ave @ So Cloverdale. Beacon Way is a short pipeline road in Renton.

For what it's worth, there are quite a few of these ancient four-way flashers throughout Seattle, all with a message tacked on below (although this one is unique in that it was clearly meant for an actual four-way intersection, instead of a one-way meeting a two-way).

Thank you for that.  I wanted to make sure that the yellow side of the beacon did not actually face any traffic.  Otherwise, you'd have a dangerous situation of one side going, and three sides stopping with a notation of "all way stop".  But here, that's not the case, as the divided Beacon Ave acts like a pair of one-way streets and no traffic will ever see the  yellow indication.

ErmineNotyours

Old pedestrian actuators outside of the Boeing plant in Renton, Washington.  Renton used to be called the Traffic Light Capital of the World, an many lights have been removed from intersections.  This location would only need a light a few times a day at shift changes, so it was removed.  They forgot to take the pedestrian button, which sat here unused and connected only to the cable.  A few years later it was gone.  I hope it went to a good home.

Old pedestrian signal actuator by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

ErmineNotyours

Pedestrian actuator in Yakima, Washington.  Yakima has modern pedestrian buttons too.  I was standing at one corner when the button started clacking at me.  When a user presses the button at that light, it goes out both speakers on both sides of the street, and the other pedestrian was banging on button.  After all, hitting the button multiple times makes the light change faster.

Pedestrian actuator in Yakima, Washington by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

mrsman

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 18, 2018, 10:45:02 AM
Old pedestrian actuators outside of the Boeing plant in Renton, Washington.  Renton used to be called the Traffic Light Capital of the World, an many lights have been removed from intersections.  This location would only need a light a few times a day at shift changes, so it was removed.  They forgot to take the pedestrian button, which sat here unused and connected only to the cable.  A few years later it was gone.  I hope it went to a good home.

I haven't seen an actuator like this before.  What do the red and blue lights do?

kphoger

Quote from: mrsman on May 18, 2018, 01:18:46 PM
I haven't seen an actuator like this before.  What do the red and blue lights do?

Red makes the light change faster??
:hmmm:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on May 17, 2018, 12:25:58 PM

Quote from: mrsman on May 18, 2018, 09:39:31 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 17, 2018, 03:08:36 PM

Thank you for that.  I wanted to make sure that the yellow side of the beacon did not actually face any traffic.  Otherwise, you'd have a dangerous situation of one side going, and three sides stopping with a notation of "all way stop".  But here, that's not the case, as the divided Beacon Ave acts like a pair of one-way streets and no traffic will ever see the  yellow indication.

Here's a video of the signals in question. Just took the video a short time ago:

https://youtu.be/8e3gWv6PkiA

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.