News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Route 66 now has Historic Corridor status in TX

Started by txstateends, June 07, 2018, 07:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

TX is the last of the 8 Route 66 states to receive Historic Corridor status for its section of the route.  As of Wednesday, in conjunction with the updated status, new brown historic signs will be available for posting along TX' part of the route.  Several of the signs from TxDOT are being acquired for posting along Amarillo's part of the route, starting with the first one which was unveiled Wednesday west of downtown.  TxDOT is charging $700 each for the signs, which the head of the state's Old Route 66 association hopes to raise enough money for so that the other cities and areas along Route 66 in TX can also have them.  They aren't quite like the style that other states have for Historic Route signage, nor are they the same as the small ones seen in TX with "Old Route 66" in brown/white up to now.

http://www.amarillo.com/news/20180607/route-66-gets-its-signs
http://www.myhighplains.com/news/local-news/historic-route-66-signs-to-be-unveiled/1221859953
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Henry

This is very long overdue, but I'm glad that they're recognizing it for the rich history it's had over the years.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MNHighwayMan

There is no way those signs cost $700 each to make.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

txstateends

Quote from: rte66man on June 08, 2018, 10:21:09 PM
from 2017 on I40 east of Groom:

Those are the "Old Route 66" ones I referred to in the OP.  I wonder how long it will take the Association president to come up with enough $$$$$ for places like Groom to have the more recent Historic version of the sign.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.