News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Freeways / Expressways given ordinary street names

Started by mrose, April 30, 2013, 12:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepidopteran

Two around Dayton, OH:

• The freeway that connects I-70 to the Dayton International Airport is called simply "Airport Access Road".  Never understood why it was never given 3di status like I-170.
  • Harshman Road is basically a freeway between the railroad tracks and the intersection with Airway Rd.  (It has an interchange with Springfield St., but otherwise it's a surface arterial with no driveways and a Jersey wall placed in the middle.)
And at Walt Disney World in Florida, "World Drive" is built to freeway standards between Epcot Center Drive and US-192 -- and would be all the way to the southern terminus if not for two at-grade T-intersections.

In Virginia, VA-28 was recently upgraded to full freeway between the signalized entrance to Lawrence Park and its northern terminus at VA-7.  (The RIRO entrance to the Sully Plantation was relocated to the museum interchange)  Yet it still seems to be called Sully Rd.

TheStranger

In California...beyond the Doyle Drive example...

- For years (not sure if still the case now), the segment of what is now Route 15 south of I-805 in San Diego was "Wabash Boulevard", dating back to the 1950s before the route had received a number.

- Is the section of former Route 134 in Glendale "Colorado Freeway" or "Colorado Boulevard"?  Google Maps lists it as the "Colorado Street Freeway Extension"

- Although this will change with the ongoing removal of the cloverleaf at US 50, Watt Avenue in Sacramento between Fair Oaks Boulevard and Folsom Boulevard is functionally a short full freeway.
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Bakersfield, CA also has the Alfred Harrell Highway.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Molandfreak

Cedar Avenue in MN. No one refers to it as highway 77 (it's freeway segment), county 23, or county 152. ;-)
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

jwolfer

Quote from: oscar on May 02, 2013, 09:25:03 AM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on May 01, 2013, 09:34:07 AM
Quote from: bugo on May 01, 2013, 01:46:41 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 30, 2013, 04:12:26 PM
Quote from: mrose on April 30, 2013, 12:18:28 AM
This is meant to be a compliment to the "Highways that are city streets" thread.

I'll start with two here in Denver - 6th Ave (US 6) and Peña Blvd. (the airport spur). Both are full freeways.

FTFY. (My keyboard has that typical Spanish letter :spin:)

In English, it is spelled "pena" because we don't use accents.

Colorado uses the tilde on signage for most Spanish names where it is appropriate. Cañon City and, yes, Peña Blvd. among others.

The Spanish alphabet treats "ñ" as a letter different from "n", which may be why CNGL-Leudimin has a keyboard with "ñ" on it as well as a standard "n".  If you want to do without the tilde for whatever reason, "ny" rather than just "n" is the better replacement for "ñ" (for example, "cañon" = "canyon").

French and Italian use gn...  i.e. Espagne for Spain... pronounced just like the Spanish. Espana... forgive me for not using the tilde... I dont have time to figure out how to do it on this keyboard..

jwolfer

Quote from: 3467 on April 30, 2013, 10:27:03 AM
Some buildings even have an LSD address . That may be inner drive not outer drive

There should be some college dorms with LSD addresses

jwolfer

This is meant to be a compliment to the "Highways that are city streets" thread.

I'll start with two here in Denver - 6th Ave (US 6) and Peña Blvd. (the airport spur). Both are full freeways.

I've seen a few expressways around Madrid with ordinary street names.

NO need to get all MC Grammar here... Most keyboards dont have diacritcs ( accents etc) from other languages.  We are writing in English and most of us would not be thrown off by a n being used when Spanish has a tilde  Many Slavic names are prouniouched in English with an "...ic"  which has the check on top making it a "ch"... some actually changed the spelling to end in "..ch" .  My Chiropractor is named Zivkovic.. we all say "ic" even though I know in Serbian is is "ch"...  FWIW  I speak and write Spanish very well, I am pretty much bilingual but rusty. ... I'm not one of those "speak Amer-i-can" people.

jwolfer

Jacksonville has JTB or J. Turner Butler Boulevard (or SR 202)... all but about 2 blocks is full freeway... when it was build about 4 miles was surface street but it was upgraded before sprawl

cpzilliacus

In the District of Columbia, the north end of D.C. 295 is called Kenilworth Avenue. 

North of Benning Road, N.E., it has frontage roads which share that name, complete with development on those frontage roads.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oscar

Quote from: jwolfer on May 02, 2013, 02:55:57 PM
forgive me for not using the tilde... I dont have time to figure out how to do it on this keyboard..

On a traditional computer keyboard, pressing the ALT key, then typing 164 on the numeric keyboard (not the regular number keys), usually does the trick.  But when I tried it here in this Quick Reply box, it came up with an emoticon.  So to type "ñ" I instead did the above in Notepad, then copied the resulting ñ here. 

Not that necessary here, but useful in other contexts where tildes and other diacritical marks can radically affect the meaning of a word.  Also, the same trick works for Greek letters, and miscellaneous typographic symbols like º (alt-167) and ¼ (alt-172).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

lepidopteran

Quote from: Henry on April 30, 2013, 01:25:53 PM
I-695 in Washington, DC crosses the Anacostia River on the 11th Street Bridges.
And I-395 crosses the Potomac River on the 14th Street Bridge.  Not to mention going through the 3rd Street Tunnel.  (The 9th Street and 12th Street tunnels, which are exits off of I-395, could be considered a bifurcated freeway.)

NE2

Quote from: oscar on May 02, 2013, 04:51:25 PM
Not that necessary here, but useful in other contexts where tildes and other diacritical marks can radically affect the meaning of a word.
Happy new anus!
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

ALT+164 is the DOS sequence, which Windows continues to support because MS doesn't like to break the little things that don't really matter.  The Windows way to do it is ALT+0241 – the leading zero means to look up the character in the Windows "Western" character set, assuming that's the character set "in use", a distinction made largely obsolete by Unicode.  Many apps allow a sequence like CTRL+~ N.

On a Mac, there's probably an easy way to do it with some combination of the Option, Cloverleaf, and/or N keys.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

lepidopteran

How about "Alligator Alley" in Florida?  Granted, it was just a 2-lane road before it was upgraded to Interstate standards.

lepidopteran

In Annapolis, MD:  The freeway part of MD-665 is called Aris T. Allen Blvd.  Granted, there are two RIROs near the eastern terminus, plus one that goes nowhere.  There's also a slip ramp (?) that leads to a (strip) shopping center.  The non-freeway part continues as Forest Drive.

Bickendan

Quote from: Molandfreak on May 02, 2013, 02:45:11 PM
Cedar Avenue in MN. No one refers to it as highway 77 (it's freeway segment), county 23, or county 152. ;-)
Continuing on that, isn't US 12/I-394 Wayzata Blvd?

Over here in Portland, the segment of US 26 between exits 71A (OR 8) and 73 is SW Canyon Rd, though colloquially it's referred to as the Sunset [Hwy].
The freeway portion of US 30 between I-405 and NW Nicolai Ave doesn't have a name, though it could be an extension of NW Yeon Ave.
NE Airport Way between NW 82nd Ave (OR 213) and I-205 has its own exit (Cascades Station).
The expressway portion of SE McGloughlin Blvd (OR 99E) along Westmoreland and Sellwood is known as just that.

Molandfreak

Quote from: vtk on May 02, 2013, 09:29:02 PM
ALT+164 is the DOS sequence, which Windows continues to support because MS doesn't like to break the little things that don't really matter.  The Windows way to do it is ALT+0241 – the leading zero means to look up the character in the Windows "Western" character set, assuming that's the character set "in use", a distinction made largely obsolete by Unicode.  Many apps allow a sequence like CTRL+~ N.

On a Mac, there's probably an easy way to do it with some combination of the Option, Cloverleaf, and/or N keys.
Wrong thread.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Bickendan on May 02, 2013, 11:55:23 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on May 02, 2013, 02:45:11 PM
Continuing on that, isn't US 12/I-394 Wayzata Blvd?
Yep, and U.S. 10 is Main Street through Anoka (partial freeway)

And MN 47 (University Avenue) has a short freeway segment to connect it with U.S. 10.

NE2

Many of these are ordinary streets given freeway upgrades.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mrose

mcmc

froggie

One not mentioned yet:  the part of I-20/59 through Meridian (to the MS 39 interchange) is technically Tom Bailey Drive, but nobody calls it that.

QuoteIn Virginia, VA-28 was recently upgraded to full freeway between the signalized entrance to Lawrence Park and its northern terminus at VA-7.  (The RIRO entrance to the Sully Plantation was relocated to the museum interchange)  Yet it still seems to be called Sully Rd.

Yes, VA 28 is still Sully Rd through there.

QuoteCedar Avenue in MN. No one refers to it as highway 77 (it's freeway segment), county 23, or county 152.

True on the last one...One occasionally hears the other two, especially south of Apple Valley for County 23.  It's not common on the Hwy 77 stretch, though.

It should also be noted that, in light of NE2's comment, the stretch of MN 77/Cedar Ave from the Mall of America down to I-35E was all new-alignment construction, not an "ordinary street given freeway upgrade".

QuoteYep, and U.S. 10 is Main Street through Anoka (partial freeway)

The part of US 10 that is coincident with Main St is the at-grade section northwest of downtown.  The freeway is simply "Highway 10".

QuoteAnd MN 47 (University Avenue) has a short freeway segment to connect it with U.S. 10.

That part of MN 47 is not University Ave.  University Ave splits off of MN 47 in front of Northtown Mall.

mgk920

Quote from: vtk on May 02, 2013, 09:29:02 PM
ALT+164 is the DOS sequence, which Windows continues to support because MS doesn't like to break the little things that don't really matter.  The Windows way to do it is ALT+0241 — the leading zero means to look up the character in the Windows "Western" character set, assuming that's the character set "in use", a distinction made largely obsolete by Unicode.  Many apps allow a sequence like CTRL+~ N.

On a Mac - 'alt/option+'N'', then type an 'n'.

ñ

For a Spanish-language accent, it is 'alt/option+'E'', then type the letter that you want accented - á, é, í, ó and ú

Same procedure with the German ü.

:nod:

Mike

jwolfer

Quote from: oscar on May 02, 2013, 09:25:03 AM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on May 01, 2013, 09:34:07 AM
Quote from: bugo on May 01, 2013, 01:46:41 AM

In English, it is spelled "pena" because we don't use accents.

Colorado uses the tilde on signage for most Spanish names where it is appropriate. Cañon City and, yes, Peña Blvd. among others.

The Spanish alphabet treats "ñ" as a letter different from "n", which may be why CNGL-Leudimin has a keyboard with "ñ" on it as well as a standard "n".  If you want to do without the tilde for whatever reason, "ny" rather than just "n" is the better replacement for "ñ" (for example, "cañon" = "canyon").

Spanish used to treat "LL" as a separate letter than "L".  But the academy in Madrid no longer considers LL a separate letter

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 02, 2013, 02:34:32 PM
Bakersfield, CA also has the Alfred Harrell Highway.

Is Route 1 in Daly City/Pacifica just the "Cabrillo Highway" even as a freeway?
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.