New Chicago-Kansas City initiative?

Started by N9JIG, August 15, 2010, 06:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on June 25, 2012, 10:20:59 PM
Also: where 110/CKC is posted along I-35, I-35 is not

Well, it's not like they took down the actual I-35 shields.  They just erected additional ones.  At least, from what I've seen.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on June 26, 2012, 10:10:10 AM

Well, it's not like they took down the actual I-35 shields.  They just erected additional ones.  At least, from what I've seen.

The only 35 signs I saw were Mileposts, as of 6-17. The side roads have 35 signs, just none along 35 itself.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: NE2 on June 26, 2012, 11:04:50 AM
Where's the west end of 110?

Just south of 435 on I-35 at Bryant St. There is a small END CKC  MO 110 assembly on a bridge support. I didn't see it soon enough to get a photo, so I'll have to look again next time I'm up that way (probably December)

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on June 26, 2012, 10:51:39 AM
Quote from: kphoger on June 26, 2012, 10:10:10 AM

The only 35 signs I saw were Mileposts, as of 6-17. The side roads have 35 signs, just none along 35 itself.

Are you kidding me??  Am I reading this right:  MoDOT actually took down the I-35 shields??  I mean.... ASDJILFBSDFJBD!! [there is no appropriate emoticon for my feeling]
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on June 26, 2012, 09:41:44 PM
Are you kidding me??  Am I reading this right:  MoDOT actually took down the I-35 shields??  I mean.... ASDJILFBSDFJBD!! [there is no appropriate emoticon for my feeling]

To my knowledge, yes, they removed the I-35 shields on the CKC overlap. I left a message (and photo) on the MoDOT's KC Region Facebook page, but no one has responded. I may have to write them about this.

Revive 755

Older assembly in the same area from streetview:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39.260902,-94.449248&spn=0.028144,0.066047&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=39.260589,-94.449348&panoid=Mdyjh57CZSiq3cp6YJFJPg&cbp=12,213.33,,0,0

I don't understand why MoDOT would suddenly stop completely signing multiplexes; if anything should be hiding there, it should be US 69.

kphoger

I remember seeing old stand-alone I-35 shields (sometimes paired with another highway), as well as new stand-alone 110/CKC shields.  I remember thinking it was strange that they were not mounted together.  But, if the plan was to remove the I-35 signs, I guess it makes sense.  The last time I drove through there was February.
Male pronouns, please.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2012, 09:43:05 AM
I remember seeing old stand-alone I-35 shields (sometimes paired with another highway), as well as new stand-alone 110/CKC shields.  I remember thinking it was strange that they were not mounted together.  But, if the plan was to remove the I-35 signs, I guess it makes sense.  The last time I drove through there was February.

I think it's a dumb idea, myself.  This is something I expect from AHTD, not MoDOT.

rte66man

Quote from: US71 on June 27, 2012, 09:52:48 AM
Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2012, 09:43:05 AM

I think it's a dumb idea, myself.  This is something I expect from AHTD, not MoDOT.

Maybe MODOT is finally recognizing that stretch is substandard and not worthy of an Interstate shield??  <dodging brickbats>

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

kphoger

Driving from KC, why would a person choose to cut north from Hannibal to [toll] I-88, rather than continue east to [free] I-55?  In my experience, heavy traffic is less of a problem on I-55 than on I-80, so there would be less reason to avoid it.  Going the I-55 way is also about 25 miles shorter than taking the CKC up to I-88.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on June 26, 2012, 10:30:05 PM

To my knowledge, yes, they removed the I-35 shields on the CKC overlap. I left a message (and photo) on the MoDOT's KC Region Facebook page, but no one has responded. I may have to write them about this.

I just drove route from KC to Chillicothe, and realized it's no big deal if the I-35 reassurance markers aren't there anymore, since I-35 is signed on the mileposts every 0.2 miles the entire way.  It would be pretty hard to miss the fact that you're on I-35...
Male pronouns, please.

Revive 755

The January 9 weekly road crew chat on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website indicates that MoDOT may be up to the same interstate shield removing shenanigans on I-44 west of I-270, and may only be having reassurance shields for US 50 now.

adt1982

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 12, 2013, 10:52:44 PM
The January 9 weekly road crew chat on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website indicates that MoDOT may be up to the same interstate shield removing shenanigans on I-44 west of I-270, and may only be having reassurance shields for US 50 now.

I still don't see how this makes any sense.

Stratuscaster

Could it be that the overhead BGS'/pull-throughs are deemed sufficient for the mainline Interstate, while the duplexed routes get the roadside assurance markers?

kphoger

Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 13, 2013, 09:05:58 PM
Could it be that the overhead BGS'/pull-throughs are deemed sufficient for the mainline Interstate, while the duplexed routes get the roadside assurance markers?

As I said:  I-35, at least, is marked on mileposts every 0.2 miles for the entire length of the CKC portion.
Male pronouns, please.

adt1982

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2013, 10:59:28 AM
Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 13, 2013, 09:05:58 PM
As I said:  I-35, at least, is marked on mileposts every 0.2 miles for the entire length of the CKC portion.

That's it.  Here's their answer.

Last week I had a question about why the I-44 shields were being removed from the posts. The reason is that we have an I-44 shield on the new mile marker signs. We post a mile marker every two-tenths mile. On that marker it has the I-44 shield and which direction you are going in. These mile markers are designed to help motorists when calling 911 give their location to emergency responders. Overall we are trying to reduce our sign inventory so the decision was made that we don't need the I-44 shield on the mile marker and on an additional sign post. There are portions of I-44 that are also designed US Route 50 and that is why you still see that sign by itself along the side of the road.

hobsini2

I'm sorry but I think that is a really cheap and dumb reason for not having a "normal" size I-35 or I-44 sign after each exit like every other interstate highway in the country.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Stratuscaster

I wonder which signs are more apt to get taken out by accidents and snowplows and whatnot - mile markers or the roadside assurance markers?

Know another way to reduce your sign inventory? Uni-signs.

Revive 755

I wonder if one could get FHWA to force MoDOT to resign the affected sections of I-44 and I-35?

EDIT:  I wonder how long before MoDOT goes with this policy on I-49?  The whole thing is cosigned with US 71.

Brandon

Quote from: Stratuscaster on January 16, 2013, 10:20:45 PM
I wonder which signs are more apt to get taken out by accidents and snowplows and whatnot - mile markers or the roadside assurance markers?

A tried and true approach by WisDOT.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

not by total area, which is fairly linear to cost/space occupied in the warehouse/etc.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2013, 12:58:33 PM

not by total area, which is fairly linear to cost/space occupied in the warehouse/etc.

I think by "inventory" they mean signs that the DOT owns out in the field.

My office has been removing route markers in certain places. I think it's a poor practice. Reading this thread, now I know what they've been talking about in monthly reports when they refer to "sign inventory reduction." All this while I thought they were getting rid of uninstalled signs in our Traffic garage.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rarnold

I know the mile markers have shields on them, but they are called reassurance markers for a reason. Since they are an Interstate Highway, the roads should be signed in the same way state to state, including reassurance markers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.