News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Streets That Seemed Misspelled But Are Not

Started by roadman65, February 19, 2024, 11:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/place/601+W+Mahoney+St,+Plant+City,+FL+33563/@28.0156259,-82.1282048,18z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x88dd34281d506e1f:0x8602b67692259eba!8m2!3d28.0162084!4d-82.1278612!16s%2Fg%2F11c2fcsh_0?entry=ttu
Drane Street, but not Drain Street.

In nearby Lakeland, FL we have a Drane Field Road named after a former icon of a long time ago who spelled his surname as D-R-A-N-E and the city named the airport Drane Field after him. Now Drane Field is Lakeland- Linder Airport ( LAL).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

Quote from: roadman65 on February 19, 2024, 11:31:52 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/601+W+Mahoney+St,+Plant+City,+FL+33563/@28.0156259,-82.1282048,18z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x88dd34281d506e1f:0x8602b67692259eba!8m2!3d28.0162084!4d-82.1278612!16s%2Fg%2F11c2fcsh_0?entry=ttu
Drane Street, but not Drain Street.

In nearby Lakeland, FL we have a Drane Field Road named after a former icon of a long time ago who spelled his surname as D-R-A-N-E and the city named the airport Drane Field after him. Now Drane Field is Lakeland- Linder Airport ( LAL).

Here in Appleton, WI, there is a minor street that is actually a commercial parking lot access that was originally named 'Nob Hill Dr'.  A few years ago the sign was changed 'Knob Hill Dr'.  The correct spelling of the name of the neighborhood in San Francisco, CA is 'Nob Hill'.

Mike

1995hoo

There's a "Sevan Court" in Annandale, Virginia. It looks like it ought to be "Seven," but I have no idea what the name's origin might be.

One of the apartment complexes in Kingstowne has an "Edgeware Lane." Presumably, given the overall British-themed names for a fair number of streets and neighborhoods in the area, it was supposed to be named after Edgware Road in London and somebody misspelled it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Lahser Road in Metro Detroit.  Many not from there will mispronounce the street name as "Lasher". https://maps.app.goo.gl/LLieXZBq9ymrV92N7
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

There's a couple in Norman OK:
- Lindsey Street gets misspelled as "Lindsay" occasionally (since that's the way that the female name is usually spelled, I'm guessing). Even ODOT has fallen prey to this and had to fix it with greenout.
- Ann Branden Drive often gets misspelled as Ann Brandon. I actually had to go back and forth with people at work on this because we had a patron who lived on that street and people kept "fixing" the spelling on their account, and then I would change it back to the correct spelling, and someone would "fix" it again, etc.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

There's a Monroe St. sign on Munroe St. in Newburyport, but both are valid spellings (the latter being the author of xkcd (not COVID, thank you autocorrect)), so that one feels like one name mix-up for another rather than the correct street name being "not a name".
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Streetman

A few related examples in my hometown, Hamden CT: One road is signed and shown on maps as both Downes Rd. and Downs Rd. Nobody seems to know for sure which us right.
A street was named Hellen St. for the woman who owned the land and spelled her name that way. It was soon corrected to Helen St.
One street in a group named for places near Philadelphia was spelled Swathmore because that is the local pronunciation of Swarthmore. Before long the 'r' was inserted.

GaryV

Quote from: Brandon on February 20, 2024, 04:34:30 PM
Lahser Road in Metro Detroit.  Many not from there will mispronounce the street name as "Lasher".
There's plenty natives that mispronounce it too.

ran4sh

In Oconee County GA, Daniells Bridge Rd and Jimmy Daniell Rd . The latter crosses the county line and for whatever reason, neighboring Clarke County spells it Jimmie Daniel Rd . Both of these roads have had GDOT or contractor signage spell "Daniell" with just one L. In fact I think the existing GDOT sign at the intersection of Jimmy Daniell and 316 (US 29/78) spells it Jimmy Daniel.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Henry

Bearss Avenue in Tampa. I'm sure I'm not the only one who pronounces it like the football team! :bigass:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

Quote from: Henry on February 20, 2024, 11:01:28 PM
Bearss Avenue in Tampa. I'm sure I'm not the only one who pronounces it like the football team! :bigass:
Had a friend with that last name.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

DTComposer

Quote from: mgk920 on February 20, 2024, 12:10:30 PM
Here in Appleton, WI, there is a minor street that is actually a commercial parking lot access that was originally named 'Nob Hill Dr'.  A few years ago the sign was changed 'Knob Hill Dr'.  The correct spelling of the name of the neighborhood in San Francisco, CA is 'Nob Hill'.

Mike

There are several towns in North America called "Knob Hill" which I would think have to do with some local hill or mountain - which makes it redundant, since a knob is a hill.

Originally California Hill, Nob Hill in San Francisco was named for the railroad barons (Stanford, Huntington, Crocker, Hopkins) and other wealthy people who built mansions there. "Nob" as a term for a rich person was a shortening of "nabob" which was an Anglo-Indian term for Europeans who went east to Asia to make their fortune.

6a

Sullivant Ave. in Columbus, OH. Named after the founding father of what is now a neighborhood, Franklinton.

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on February 20, 2024, 11:01:28 PM

DA Bearss
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

I live right by Hampden Avenue. It's pronounced Hamden, but looking at it, you'd think Hampton. I don't know if I think it seems misspelled, but it's in the middle of those two.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: GaryV on February 20, 2024, 06:24:49 PM
Lahser Road in Metro Detroit.  Many not from there will mispronounce the street name as "Lasher".
There's plenty natives that mispronounce it too.

Interesting because when I look at that name, I want to mispronounce it "laser".
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

RZF

In Oxnard, CA there's Gonzales Rd (correct spelling), but so many people and businesses say it's Gonzalez Rd because that's the more common spelling of that last name.

Similarly, on Channel Islands Blvd, there was once a street sign at the Saviers Rd intersection that implied there was only one Channel Island. It has since been replaced:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1733113,-119.1774534,3a,35.2y,353.3h,98.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skXwL62E1kZf1sZnSzIAO2g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

kphoger

Quote from: RZF on February 21, 2024, 11:28:48 AM
In Oxnard, CA there's Gonzales Rd (correct spelling), but so many people and businesses say it's Gonzalez Rd because that's the more common spelling of that last name.

We used to have two different managers at work with that name:  one with a z, the other with an s.  Only one is left.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Lahser Road in Metro Detroit.  Many not from there will mispronounce the street name as "Lasher". https://maps.app.goo.gl/LLieXZBq9ymrV92N7
I've always pronounced it Lah-sher.

Flint1979

Some Detroit street names that people might not know how to pronounce are Gratiot, Cadieux, Livernois, Schoenherr, Charlevoix and Dequindre.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 21, 2024, 01:10:14 PM
Some Detroit street names that people might not know how to pronounce are Gratiot, Cadieux, Livernois, Schoenherr, Charlevoix and Dequindre.

But I wouldn't think those were misspelled, just perhaps difficult to pronounce. I think for the purposes of this thread, it has to be spelled almost exactly like a far more common name/word.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 21, 2024, 10:02:09 AM
I live right by Hampden Avenue. It's pronounced Hamden, but looking at it, you'd think Hampton. I don't know if I think it seems misspelled, but it's in the middle of those two.
See Hampden County in MA, which is pronounced that way.

Only silly people would see it as "Hampton." :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Streetman

Quote from: Rothman on February 21, 2024, 11:33:55 PM

There is also a town of Hampden, MA, and people from that state sometimes misspell my town of Hamden, CT. There is also a Hampton, CT.

Rothman

Quote from: Streetman on February 22, 2024, 08:40:03 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 21, 2024, 11:33:55 PM

There is also a town of Hampden, MA, and people from that state sometimes misspell my town of Hamden, CT. There is also a Hampton, CT.
For once, CT gets it right.

wxfree

Stephenville, Texas has a Kight Street, which I assume is pronounced as "kite."  I've known people who lived there and pronounced it as "nite," apparently having misread it.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.