Australian highways, freeways and motorways

Started by Shadow Assassin, January 21, 2009, 09:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 08, 2023, 02:58:52 PM
I'm gonna mention induced demand but leave out latent demand. Said every anti-car urbanist nut ever.

I agree with the 'latent demand' thing, this is traffic that was crossing in whatever way that it could now using the new much easier crossing.

Mike

Duke87

Quote from: Bruce on December 08, 2023, 02:26:32 AM
Sydney opened the Rozelle Interchange at a cost of $4 billion (US$2.5 billion). A giant underground complex that has created tons of traffic because merges are a thing, signage is terrible, and induced demand is proven real.

Don't think induced demand (or latent demand) has anything to do with this. It's entirely drivers being confused by a new roadway configuration, in particular not realizing that they can use the new tunnel to cut between the Anzac Bridge and the Iron Cove Bridge without paying a toll. Some of that is signs not making this clear, some of it is inevitable confusion around changes.

And well watch all the videos through to the end and you can see that by week 2, the traffic problems that were huge in week 1 had mostly abated as people started figuring things out. Gotta give traffic a little time to find a new equilibrium after a new road opens.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brandon

Quote from: Bruce on December 08, 2023, 02:26:32 AM
Sydney opened the Rozelle Interchange at a cost of $4 billion (US$2.5 billion). A giant underground complex that has created tons of traffic because merges are a thing, signage is terrible, and induced demand is proven real.

Induced demand is bunk.  It's latent demand.  These people were using other routes before moving to this one.  I'll wager the traffic on the older routes dropped as traffic moved to an apparently easier/better route.  We've had much the same in my area when a new tollway opened and the queues of cars on the older two-lane roads paralleling it vanished.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Chris

WestConnex allows traffic to bypass 52 traffic signals, for example on Parramatta Road.

ClassicHasClass

Though the toll is a powerful demotivator. Look at how crammed A28 Pennant Hill Rd is.

Chris

I couldn't find much about continued traffic issues at the Rozelle Interchange on Google. Maybe it was just the initial opening adjustment which caused chaos because drivers were unfamiliar with the new situation?

Google Maps shows free-flow traffic in almost all of Sydney at this time (9 a.m. local time).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.