News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cable radio

Started by bandit957, November 21, 2021, 10:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Did anyone actually have this?

In the late '80s or so, I think our local cable TV system also had a separate service that offered cable FM radio, but I don't remember anyone actually having it. I remember seeing a list of stations it had, and almost all of them were ones we could pick up clearly anyway. The only one it had that we couldn't pick up clearly was WOXY (97-X). (Once in a great while, if you had your boom box tilted a certain way, you could get WOXY, but usually it was jammed out by WAXZ.)
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ZLoth

I actually used a 75 ohm splitter and picked up the FM stations through the stereo receiver. Rarely used the feature. Nowadays, it's all streaming.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

snowc

Quote from: ZLoth on November 21, 2021, 11:17:22 AM
I actually used a 75 ohm splitter and picked up the FM stations through the stereo receiver. Rarely used the feature. Nowadays, it's all streaming.
I dont even have splitters. My internet would be  :ded: with my ISP if I converted to radio. :D

1995hoo

My father tried it for a while when we first got cable TV, but he dropped it because he decided it wasn't worth it–the room in which the radio got listened to the most was by far the kitchen (by my mom in the morning) and there was (and is) no coaxial outlet for the cable connection in there.

One minor annoyance was that the cable company remapped all the radio stations to different frequencies (e.g., 94.7-FM was 94.3-FM via cable for no apparent reason).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Never heard of "cable radio" but one interesting thing I learned while in college was that you could use a splitter off a cable TV coax cable, hook it up to the FM antenna port on a receiver, and get a better signal. Morehead sits in a valley and FM radio reception of the Lexington stations in the dorms was terrible. Someone told me to try the TV cable splitter trick, and I did. I could pick up WKQQ-FM very well -- but not at 98.1 on the dial. The frequency was off by a little; I think it actually showed up closer to 98.9 or 99.1.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

When I was a kid, we had a shortwave radio that could pick up the audio from OTA TV stations.

US 89

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 21, 2021, 07:18:22 PM
When I was a kid, we had a shortwave radio that could pick up the audio from OTA TV stations.

We had one of those hand crank emergency radios that did that as well. It could also pick up NOAA Weather Radio in addition to the usual FM and AM channels.

Unfortunately, the TV audio part no longer works since the 2009 required transition from analog to digital TV signals.

catch22

When I lived in Dearborn, MI in the early '80s, Group W Cable was in the process of building out the city.  As part of the sign-up package, they offered cable FM radio for free.  I had it connected to the FM receiver in my component stereo, and it worked OK. There were a handful of remote stations in addition to the locals (Flint, Lansing and Toledo).  Odd part is that they remapped all the station frequencies starting at 88.1 and going up .2 from there, so I had to keep their station chart handy to find which one I wanted.

nexus73

Cable FM was part of the deal in the Coos Bay OR area back in the Seventies and Eighties.  We did not even have FM stations here until the Eighties, so having cable FM was quite nice to have around.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Henry

When I first saw the thread, the first thing that came to mind was Sirius and XM (which is actually satellite radio). Count me as another person who was unaware of the existence of cable radio.

(BTW, my Equinox has SiriusXM)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

zachary_amaryllis

back in the day, thats how got the stereo feed for mtv, before stereo tv's existed.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

ErmineNotyours

Local cable TV channels used to be shifted onto different channels until more viewers got TVs with a coax input.  In the type of antenna input used by radios, the local station leaks in anyway so they have to shift the cable station to somewhere else.  When listening, you can't always tell if you're getting the cable FM feed that you're paying extra for.  Also, some dial positions as tuned by the radio can cause interference on the TV, so the cable company has to plan carefully when placing HBO and MTV audio on the FM band.  If you want to watch the TV while someone else wants to listen to the radio, you're SOL.

Group W in Seattle carried KOMO-AM Radio in stereo, to give an FM stereo look at what AM stereo sort-of sounds like.  After a few years, they dropped the FM cable band to squeeze in a whopping total of three more TV stations.  After complaints, they restored public radio KPLU and KUOW, and classic KING-FM.

dvferyance

Sirus XM basically is cable radio.

1995hoo

Quote from: dvferyance on November 23, 2021, 05:40:51 PM
Sirus XM basically is cable radio.

Not really. The XM music channels don't have commercials. Cable radio was just a simulcast/rebroadcast of FM, ads included.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bwana39

Back in the day the cable streamed up to half a dozen moderately remote stations. Mostly they were in a parcel that was microwaved from a large market to the country nearby.

In Paris Texas, they Had Q102 (KTXQ), KRLD AM (transcribed on the FM dial), KZEW: later KLUV, KVIL, and either KSCS or KPLX. (Dallas / Ft Worth stations ~100 miles away. They also had the DFW TV stations. Mount Pleasant had a different radio mix, and I really don't remember anyone really using the cable for Radio there, but Shreveport & Tyler Longview stations came in there.
They weren't necessarily on their natural frequencies on the cable AND the bandwidth was reduced and even by 1970's and 80's standards, the quality was diminished.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Road Hog

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 22, 2021, 06:10:09 PM
back in the day, thats how got the stereo feed for mtv, before stereo tv's existed.
Same for me. I don't think there was any other service provided.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.