Exits that could be/should be done away with

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, December 14, 2023, 05:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on December 26, 2023, 10:14:12 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 26, 2023, 10:04:16 AM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 23, 2023, 01:03:15 PM
Exit 15 off I-78 in PA (Grimes) could easily be eliminated. It's a RIRO interchange with township roads with no immediate access across I-78 and no tractor trailers allowed. What little traffic uses this exit could easily use Exit 13 (PA 501, Bethel) or Exit 16 (Midway).
I hate exits like that.

They should really connect the two RIRO with an overpass while eliminating the ramps.

However, my trip to Colorado in 2001 revealed plenty of those interchanges on I-25 from Trinidad to Denver.
I don't recall too many of them around me. Jamet Street (the most northern lower peninsula exit) is like that.

ET21

A consolidation of exits 18-21 on I-290 (IL), the Avenues. Many of these are outdated and could do with a redo/removal. Who knows if we'll see that happen though.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

DandyDan

I would add Exit 12 for I-35, the current north end of US 65, to this list. There isn't anything there you can't just as easily access from Exit 11, the old US 16 exit. Also, if you are going NB on I-35, but wish to eventually exit onto I-90, the next exit north, you have to watch for traffic from US 65. It strikes me as potentially dangerous.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Mapmikey

Exit 12 on I-95 in Virginia.  This is the former transition from the longtime temporary end of I-95 to US 301 NB. It has an AADT of under 500.  Exit 13 is a 1/2 mile further and accomplishes the same thing.  They did remove access from US 301 SB to I-95 SB.  Eliminating this ramp would also make it so that the 301 SB overpass of this ramp wouldn't have to be replaced (65+ years old) when it gets decrepit.

hobsini2

Quote from: Henry on December 14, 2023, 10:07:03 PMI noticed that State Street in Chicago has an onramp to NB I-55 and an offramp from SB I-55. This isn't needed IMO, because it's near the Interstate's literal end at Lake Shore Drive!
While that is true, with the new Wintrust Arena and the McCormick Place West buildings nearby, it is a quicker way for traffic to/from Lake Shore Dr instead of taking 31st St or Roosevelt Rd which are the only access points besides 55 over the railroad tracks for vehicles.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

flan

There are plenty on I-94 in North Dakota.

Exit 322 on I-94 in North Dakota looks pretty pointless. There are exits 2 miles to the east and west that both serve minor unincorporated communities on county highways, but Exit 322 doesn't serve anything. The sign says the exit is for Absaraka, another very minor unincorporated community. But the road doesn't even connect Absaraka with I-94—unless a two-track grass path between two fields counts as a connection. Anyone going to Absaraka would likely use Exit 324 to the east as that's a paved county road.

Exit 310 is another seemingly useless exit. Exit 310 serves no county highways or towns, the sign just says 'No Services'. It's 2.5 miles east of the exit for Tower City and 4.5 miles west of the exit for Buffalo, neither of which are large enough towns to warrant a second exit. This could just be an overpass.

There's a pair of 'No Services' exits east of Valley City where one could easily be removed: 296 and 298. I vote Exit 296; it's pretty close to the Valley City exits whereas Exit 298 is equidistant from Valley City and the Oriska exit to the east.

Exit 281 connects the small town of Sanborn with the Interstate with a 2 mile long paved road, but it's 1.5 miles west of the exit for ND 1 northbound, which gets even closer to Sanborn. Just a bit redundant.

Exit 245 is yet another 'No Services' gravel road exit 2.5 miles east of the exit for Windsor, a small unincorporated community. Could be an overpass.

There are tons of other 'No Services' exits for small gravel roads, but they're spaced out just enough where their existence is justified IMO. Sure, it's nice to have a nearby Interstate exit if you live in the middle of the countryside, but I feel like these would mostly all be overpasses in Minnesota.

Rothman

You sure those aren't for ranch or other private property access?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

flan

That is a good point, it looks like the farms south of Exit 245 would be a hassle (but still possible) to reach without an exit. However, as far as I can tell all of the other exits are just slightly more convenient for the five people who live near them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: flan on Today at 10:56:12 AMExit 310 is another seemingly useless exit. Exit 310 serves no county highways or towns, the sign just says 'No Services'.

I agree with your assessment, but I have to say, I like it's style:
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

flan

Haha, yeah I've always liked the way it looks. It's also one of the relatively few times I-94 isn't just straight east and west in ND.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 23, 2023, 01:03:15 PMExit 15 off I-78 in PA (Grimes) could easily be eliminated. It's a RIRO interchange with township roads with no immediate access across I-78 and no tractor trailers allowed. What little traffic uses this exit could easily use Exit 13 (PA 501, Bethel) or Exit 16 (Midway).

My understanding is that this exit exists because of a politician.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.