Regional Boards > Mid-South

So apparently Lubbock is building a Loop 88 outer loop freeway right now

(1/4) > >>

TheBox:
I just now learned this, despite this article being 2021, 2 years ago

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/news/2021/11/03/lubbocks-loop-88-freeway-project-launches-groundbreaking/6269350001/
And here’s the map btw:

You can even see construction of it on Google Maps south of Lubbock

I guess Lubbock is taking their future growth into account, sooner than later.
I guess this means Woodrow will be a Lubbock suburb now in the near future.

The Ghostbuster:
Does Lubbock need an outer loop? I can understand outer loops of Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Then again, Lubbock has a population of 263,930, and existing Loop 289 (and the other freeways) may be inadequate for future demands.

-- US 175 --:
I think I remember seeing a Loop 88 designation in the TxDOT online designations list before.  I'm not sure how long it's been designated.

Here's the listing:  https://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/sl/sl0088.htm

Bobby5280:
I'm kind of surprised they're able to build any of this. Lubbock has quite a bit of sprawl outside the 289 loop. Segment 3 is currently under construction along FM-1585/130th Street. A fair amount of property had to be acquired and removed near the interchange with US-87. They'll have to clear other existing properties on the other side of the US-87 interchange to build Segment 4 out to the connection with US-84.

It looks like there is a good amount of residential growth happening South of Lubbock in the Woodrow area. Segment 2 would provide a good connection to the Reese Technology Center.

I think it's a bit odd the NW quadrant of this half outer loop doesn't reach East past US-84. A connection into I-27 near the Lubbock airport would be worthwhile. They'll need to at least upgrade FM-2641 into a 4-lane divided street from US-84 over to I-27.

Stephane Dumas:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 20, 2023, 09:10:50 PM ---I'm kind of surprised they're able to build any of this. Lubbock has quite a bit of sprawl outside the 289 loop. Segment 3 is currently under construction along FM-1585/130th Street. A fair amount of property had to be acquired and removed near the interchange with US-87. They'll have to clear other existing properties on the other side of the US-87 interchange to build Segment 4 out to the connection with US-84.

It looks like there is a good amount of residential growth happening South of Lubbock in the Woodrow area. Segment 2 would provide a good connection to the Reese Technology Center.

I think it's a bit odd the NW quadrant of this half outer loop doesn't reach East past US-84. A connection into I-27 near the Lubbock airport would be worthwhile. They'll need to at least upgrade FM-2641 into a 4-lane divided street from US-84 over to I-27.

--- End quote ---

Now then you mention it, they didn't toyed with the idea of adding a spur from the NW quadrant going northward to reach US-84 at Shallowater so Loop-88 would also play the role of a Lubbock bypass for US-84.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version