News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstates and national parks

Started by NE2, February 10, 2015, 12:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Zion National Park literally touches the I-15 right-of-way line at exit 40.

And if you count national preserves, I-75 cuts through the north part of Big Cypress.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/national_parks/nps_map99.pdf
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

I-11 will go through Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Though that might not be as interesting as there appear to be quite a few Interstates that bridge over national scenic riverways (and whatever else they may be called).
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Pete from Boston

128–er, 95 touches Minuteman in Lexington, Mass.

NE2

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 10, 2015, 01:45:21 AM
Looks like I-94 briefly cuts through Theodore Roosevelt National Park. It touches the right-of-way for quite a while, too.
So it does (your link won't load for me, however).

This appears to be a case where the park extended to US 10, and I-94 was later built through the park. Take that, Yellowstone NIMBYs!

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SteveG1988

I-20 cuts through the Talladega National Forrest.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

english si

While not an interstate, the (very controversial) M3 Twyford Down section was included in South Downs National Park when that was created in the late 00s. In the early 90s when the road was built amid protests, it wasn't part of the 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' that preceeded the park.

Likewise when they converted the New Forest from a sui generis entity dating back 900+ years to a National Park they expanded the area it covered, and rather than the M27 basically ending on the boundary (half the overbridge at junction 1 was in the area) a good couple of miles was suddenly inside the Park.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: SteveG1988 on February 10, 2015, 05:38:46 AM
I-20 cuts through the Talladega National Forrest.

This can't be all that rare, especially out west. I-90 does so in Washington (Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie).

1995hoo

I-66 crosses the air space above Theodore Roosevelt Island in DC, a national memorial maintained by the National Park Service. I believe the same highway's right-of-way touches the southern border of the Manassas National Battlefield Park.

I believe I-77 and I-26 both cut through national forests.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beeper1

Does the Ohio Turnpike touch Cuyahoga Valley National Park?

Massachusetts Turnpike crosses over the Blackstone River, now part of Blackstone Valley National Historic Park.

Brandon

I-40 goes through Petrified Forest NP.

Quote from: Beeper1 on February 10, 2015, 09:12:34 AM

It looks like the park is right up to the ROW of the Turnpike.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

BrianP

I-270 bisects Monocacy National Battlefield. 
QuotePreservationists lost fights in the 1960s and 1980s when Interstate 270 was constructed and later widened, bisecting a portion of the battlefield.
Although really the first fight would have been in the 1950's or even late 40's since that section of I-270 was built in 1953 as US 240.  If it was built later or the park site was able to be established earlier then I-270 would have probably had to go around the park site. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocacy_National_Battlefield

And I-81 crosses the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park.

roadman65

I-80 and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.  That is if you count recreation areas as a park, being some are including national forests.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Grzrd

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 10, 2015, 01:28:53 AM
there appear to be quite a few Interstates that bridge over national scenic riverways (and whatever else they may be called).

With the above observation in mind, I mention I-75 crossing over the National Park Service's Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area only because I drive over that crossing several times a week.

cpzilliacus

I-395 (Shirley Highway) crosses the George Washington Memorial Parkway (which is more than just a motor road) as it approaches the Virginia shoreline of the Potomac River and the 14th Street Bridge, and on the D.C. side (as the Southwest Freeway), it slices through Potomac Park, forming the dividing line between East Potomac Park and West Potomac Park.  I-395 itself crosses under the National Mall in the Third Street Tunnel, and its spurs, the non-numbered 12 Street Tunnel (northbound) and 9th Street Tunnel (southbound) also cross under the National Mall.

I-495 (Capital Beltway) crosses the Clara Barton Parkway (administratively part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway) and the C&O Canal as it approaches the American Legion Bridge over the Potomac on the Maryland side.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PurdueBill

Quote from: Brandon on February 10, 2015, 09:52:52 AM

I-271 and I-80/Turnpike both cross high over the Towpath Trail in the CVNP and the official maps leave it somewhat unclear as to whose property you're on as you pass under both, but Riverview Road is continuously a county road inside the park on both sides of both Interstates and appears to be the one more sure link between sections of the park that both Interstates overpass--for as much of a park as it is.  CVNP is not the typical national park, but I do enjoy it.  Next time I'm on my bike on the Towpath Trail under 271 and the Turnpike I'll have to notice more carefully if there are any signs of jurisdiction changes or anything; there has never been anything I've noticed.  Turnpike property is clearly fenced and signed, so it's possible that the park is continuous more than the map makes it appear.

Brandon

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 10, 2015, 04:32:58 PM

I-271 and I-80/Turnpike both cross high over the Towpath Trail in the CVNP and the official maps leave it somewhat unclear as to whose property you're on as you pass under both, but Riverview Road is continuously a county road inside the park on both sides of both Interstates and appears to be the one more sure link between sections of the park that both Interstates overpass--for as much of a park as it is.  CVNP is not the typical national park, but I do enjoy it.  Next time I'm on my bike on the Towpath Trail under 271 and the Turnpike I'll have to notice more carefully if there are any signs of jurisdiction changes or anything; there has never been anything I've noticed.  Turnpike property is clearly fenced and signed, so it's possible that the park is continuous more than the map makes it appear.

If there is a property tax map available, that would show who owns what for certain.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SectorZ

Bits and pieces of I-93 pass thru White Mountain National Forest. The Franconia Notch Pkwy is a state park sandwiched between the two halves of the national forest. However, between exits 26 and 32 34 there are portions that pass in and out for in some cases just hundreds of feet.

NE2

National forests are much less protected than national parks. National forrests are racist assclowns.

PurdueBill

Quote from: Brandon on February 10, 2015, 04:39:48 PM

If there is a property tax map available, that would show who owns what for certain.

Summit County GIS shows tax parcels extending under both 80 and 271 in the park area, owner USA, so it appears that park property is underneath the bridges over the river--at least from that data source.

cl94

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 10, 2015, 05:48:12 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 10, 2015, 04:39:48 PM

Summit County GIS shows tax parcels extending under both 80 and 271 in the park area, owner USA, so it appears that park property is underneath the bridges over the river--at least from that data source.

CVNP is somewhat similar to New York's Adirondack and Catskill Parks in that it's a protected area, but people do own property, live, and do business within the boundaries.

It's not a national park, but a good portion of I-87 is in Adirondack Park, which is larger than any other protected area in the US outside of Alaska.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

oscar

IIRC, that park originally was on one side of I-40, then later (and after the Interstate was built) expanded to include land on the other side.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

KG909

I-15 cuts through the Sam Bernardino National Forest, and I believe borders the Mojave but I'm not sure.
~Fuccboi

Laura

Quote from: NE2 on February 10, 2015, 05:13:52 PM
National forests are much less protected than national parks. National forrests are racist assclowns.

Awkwardly true...

Anyway, I-64 crosses over Shenandoah National Park outside of Waynesboro, VA.

iPhone

Mapmikey

Quote from: oscar on February 10, 2015, 09:56:37 PM

IIRC, that park originally was on one side of I-40, then later (and after the Interstate was built) expanded to include land on the other side.

The 1956 Rand McN shows the Petrified Forest (then a Nat'l Monument) occupying land well north of US 66, but the park road only existed south of US 66.  1961 Rand McN shows same dynamic except I-40 was completed through there with still no road north of I-40/US 66.

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.