News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Duplicate Controls Not Allowed by MUTCD

Started by roadman65, February 13, 2024, 04:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.aaroads.com/fl/004/i-004-e-exit-101-11.jpg
It was brought up using one control city for two routes is not allowed per MUTCD.

Yet FDOT recently installed signs that have Mount Dora for both SR 46 and SR 429 in Sanford, FL.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

I just looked it up, to make sure it's "shall" language and not just "should" language.  Yep.

"At any decision point, a given destination shall be indicated by way of only one route"
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

I-35

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2024, 04:13:43 PM
I just looked it up, to make sure it's "shall" language and not just "should" language.  Yep.

"At any decision point, a given destination shall be indicated by way of only one route"

Any distinction made for using the same control city for toll routes versus non-tolled alternatives?

kphoger

Quote from: I-35 on February 13, 2024, 05:43:33 PM

Any distinction made for using the same control city for toll routes versus non-tolled alternatives?

Not that I see.  Not unless it's in some toll-specific section of the MUTCD.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Was it written this way in the 2009 edition?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on February 13, 2024, 06:24:38 PM

Was it written this way in the 2009 edition?

Yep.  Section 2E.13.  "Shall".
Male pronouns, please.

mapman1071

Then on Long Island on the Westbound LIE at the Northern State Parkway Interchanges is not complaint and also on the Northbound Sagtikos State Parkway/Southbound Sunken Meadow Parkway Interchanges with the above All Westbound Exits have New York as a Control City.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on February 13, 2024, 04:04:04 PM
https://www.aaroads.com/fl/004/i-004-e-exit-101-11.jpg
It was brought up using one control city for two routes is not allowed per MUTCD.

Yet FDOT recently installed signs that have Mount Dora for both SR 46 and SR 429 in Sanford, FL.

I don't think that really counts, as it's two separate exits that lead to the same destination. For example, exits 115 and 117 on I-75 both have Lexington as a destination (not a control city).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on February 14, 2024, 11:25:21 AM
I don't think that really counts, as it's two separate exits that lead to the same destination. For example, exits 115 and 117 on I-75 both have Lexington as a destination (not a control city).

A lot of us on here (myself included) do tend to forget that not everything on a sign is a "control city".  It still violates the verbiage of the MUTCD, though, because it's a decision point and a destination.
Male pronouns, please.

wanderer2575

Quote from: kphoger on February 14, 2024, 12:37:08 PM

A lot of us on here (myself included) do tend to forget that not everything on a sign is a "control city".  It still violates the verbiage of the MUTCD, though, because it's a decision point and a destination.

So by the letter of the law MUTCD:  Were the 1/4 mile advance sign not on that gantry but instead posted a little farther along as a standalone 1/8 mile advance sign (or no advance sign at all), that would be okay.  Like APL rule exceptions, there's gotta be wiggle room to consider common sense.

Amaury

Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

roadfro

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 14, 2024, 02:59:54 PM

So by the letter of the law MUTCD:  Were the 1/4 mile advance sign not on that gantry but instead posted a little farther along as a standalone 1/8 mile advance sign (or no advance sign at all), that would be okay.  Like APL rule exceptions, there's gotta be wiggle room to consider common sense.

Ehh, debatable. I think it really depends on how you define "decision point" (which at least the 2009 MUTCD did not define) as to whether this example violates the MUTCD or not.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

epzik8

Very wise observation...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

I see you had researched the same thing two years ago in response to a query by webny99.

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2021, 10:26:01 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 11, 2021, 08:50:26 AM
Is this even allowed?

No.

Quote from: 2009 Edition Chapter – 2E. Guide Signs – Freeways and Expressways
Section 2E.13 Designation of Destinations

Standard:

01 – The direction of a freeway and the major destinations or control cities along it shall be clearly identified through the use of appropriate destination legends (see Section 2D.37). Successive freeway guide signs shall provide continuity in destination names and consistency with available map information. At any decision point, a given destination shall be indicated by way of only one route.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SignBridge

But yet the Manual does allow a sign on a freeway to say something like West Overshoe, Next 3 Exits.

Although the standard reads: at any decision point, I sense they are referring to having two freeway routes signed for the same destination. Such as the earlier example someone gave from Long Island where both the Long Island Expwy (I-495) and the parallel Northern State Parkway are signed both for New York on adjacent signs on the same overhead gantry.

At that location it actually does make sense as you have a choice of two equally good parallel routes. Been signed that way there since at least 1960 when I was a little kid just starting to read signs.

SectorZ

Quote from: SignBridge on February 15, 2024, 06:28:31 PM
But yet the Manual does allow a sign on a freeway to say something like West Overshoe, Next 3 Exits.

Although the standard reads: at any decision point, I sense they are referring to having two freeway routes signed for the same destination. Such as the earlier example someone gave from Long Island where both the Long Island Expwy (I-495) and the parallel Northern State Parkway are signed both for New York on adjacent signs on the same overhead gantry.

At that location it actually does make sense as you have a choice of two equally good parallel routes. Been signed that way there since at least 1960 when I was a little kid just starting to read signs.

The LIE/Northern State Pkwy thing also makes sense to have NYC for each because some private passenger vehicle drivers may be apprehensive about either 1) driving on the parkway which is not for the faint of heart or 2) driving amongst large trucks on the LIE, in turn telling them each is an option to the same place.

1995hoo

^^^^

Another important consideration there is that commercial traffic cannot legally use the Northern State Parkway, so it's a good idea to sign an alternate route. That's a prime example of when slavish adherence to the MUTCD is counterproductive. There's a sign on eastbound I-66 advising that if you want to use US-50 to get to DC, you should take Exit 64A. That sign is useful, even though I-66's control city is also Washington, because at certain times of day I-66 carries an HO/T restriction. Using US-50 lets you avoid the HOV/toll requirement.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ran4sh

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 14, 2024, 02:59:54 PM

It's common sense that's wrong.

As far as I can tell, hb's example about Lexington doesn't apply unless there were pull thru signs using Lexington as a destination while the exit sign also used Lexington. Each interchange/exit is its own decision point, since its traffic could be coming from different places.

As for examples like Memphis (from W Memphis): If traffic is being directed to different parts of the same city, then it should be considered what the actual point in the city that most non-local traffic is trying to reach (since the MUTCD specifies that signage is for the benefit of travelers not from the area), and list "Memphis" on the appropriate route to reach that point. In a lot of cities/areas that point will be downtown/central business district/etc, but in some other areas it might not (e.g. for Las Vegas it should probably be the Las Vegas Strip).

Common sense would be to apply the "technically correct" idea that both routes go to X place, so that place should be listed on both signs. But the MUTCD prohibits that for a reason.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

vdeane

Quote from: SectorZ on February 15, 2024, 07:16:04 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on February 15, 2024, 06:28:31 PM

The LIE/Northern State Pkwy thing also makes sense to have NYC for each because some private passenger vehicle drivers may be apprehensive about either 1) driving on the parkway which is not for the faint of heart or 2) driving amongst large trucks on the LIE, in turn telling them each is an option to the same place.
Perhaps a sign in advance that says "JCT [NSP] I-495"/"WEST TO New York"/"EAST TO Hauppauge".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

The MUTCD provision requiring a destination to be signed by only one route at a decision point was designed to prevent situations like an intersection where Minneapolis was signed as 51 miles away in one direction and 52 miles away in another (a real-life example that made it into Traffic Engineering back in the 1950's).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Henry

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2024, 01:25:25 PM
So, is this a violation? I say "no."

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TZdhpPS4UdJhKg5E7
It most certainly is not, because these two exits serve the same town, albeit one interchange apart.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

GaryV

Quote from: ran4sh on February 15, 2024, 07:37:30 PM
As for examples like Memphis (from W Memphis): If traffic is being directed to different parts of the same city, then it should be considered what the actual point in the city that most non-local traffic is trying to reach (since the MUTCD specifies that signage is for the benefit of travelers not from the area), and list "Memphis" on the appropriate route to reach that point. In a lot of cities/areas that point will be downtown/central business district/etc, but in some other areas it might not (e.g. for Las Vegas it should probably be the Las Vegas Strip).
But the out of town visitor is following their GPS (because they don't know the area) they may be going to the "less popular" destination in the city. GPS tells them to take a certain exit to their destination in Bigtown. They get to an exit 3 miles before the one the GPS says, and the sign says to exit here for Bigtown. No other signage saying that maybe they could also exit 3 miles farther on like their GPS suggests. Confusion.

Rothman

Quote from: GaryV on February 16, 2024, 08:05:02 AM
Quote from: ran4sh on February 15, 2024, 07:37:30 PM
But the out of town visitor is following their GPS (because they don't know the area) they may be going to the "less popular" destination in the city. GPS tells them to take a certain exit to their destination in Bigtown. They get to an exit 3 miles before the one the GPS says, and the sign says to exit here for Bigtown. No other signage saying that maybe they could also exit 3 miles farther on like their GPS suggests. Confusion.
So...they'll follow their GPS, which points their way to the proper exit.  And since exits also have numbers and street/route information on them that also differentiate between exits, no big deal.

Control cities just aren't that significant, when it boils down to it.  Think of the Northeast, where people informally navigate by exit number, or typical instructions where people say, "Take route 11 to route 65..."

No one says "Follow the signs for Bigtown and then get off at Stupidtown."

Therefore, as long as the control city is just somewhat accurate, there's no issue.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.