News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Interstate 9 is a pipe dream that's been around for decades. I'll believe it when it happens.

The Ghostbuster

Same with Interstate 40 west of Barstow along CA 58. I just wish CA 210 and CA 905 would become Interstate 210 and Interstate 905 at some point within my lifetime. Ditto for CA 15 becoming Interstate 15.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 12, 2023, 10:06:11 PM
Same with Interstate 40 west of Barstow along CA 58. I just wish CA 210 and CA 905 would become Interstate 210 and Interstate 905 at some point within my lifetime. Ditto for CA 15 becoming Interstate 15.

I-40 west of Barstow was an actual submission for chargeable funds, but that was during 1968.  The Interstate corridor on CA 99 was never formally proposed, CA 210 was withdrawn from consideration during the late 1990s and CA 905 has never been formally considered. 

Regarding CA 99, the simplest answer for an non-chargeable Interstate corridor is either I-305 or (even better IMO) I-99.  Neither of those have the legislative number duplication nonsense to deal with.  I-99 won't make many road people happy (it would make me happy) but it would keep the corridor the number it always been.  Maintaining the 99 number would probably be favorable to local interests.  It certainly isn't less strange than I-238 and still arguably a better use of the number than east coast I-99.

The Ghostbuster

The Interstate 305 designation is already taken, although it is unsigned: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50_in_California#Freeway_and_expressway_upgrades. So unless you want existing 305 to be extended southward another 298 miles, Interstate 7 or 9 would be the preferred designation, assuming CA 99 ever becomes an Interstate, which plenty of us doubt will ever happen.

Max Rockatansky

It's also not legislatively defined by the state, it is just an FHWA designation.  One legislative session is all it would take to define the corridor as extending from I-80 in West Sacramento to I-5 near Wheeler Ridge.

But again, I'd like to emphasize my preference for asymmetry.

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 12, 2023, 10:15:02 PM
It certainly isn't less strange than I-238

That's a low bar :)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on April 13, 2023, 12:52:22 AM
It certainly isn't less strange than I-238

That's a low bar :)

Yes, a very low bar.  All the same, that low bar has kept what would otherwise might be the most uninteresting urban freeway in California in the spotlight due it having a weird number.

Plutonic Panda

Holy moly the roads are bad in SoCal. I know we've had a rainy season and bad weather but this is insane. I'm not sure how LA plans on taking this all on. The situation up in big bear is mind blowing how bad the roads are. I just had to get my car towed after hitting a foot plus deep pothole that came from nowhere on Beverly Glenn and it ripped my bumper off which I don't even know how that possible.

I know Mayor Bass has setup a new initiative to report them and get them fixed but many of these roads will need to be entirely resurfaced.

To long standing residents here, has it ever been this bad? I've only been here since 2015 but I've never seen it like this. It's just as bad if not worse than Oklahoma in some places.

Quillz

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 13, 2023, 03:45:09 PM
Holy moly the roads are bad in SoCal. I know we've had a rainy season and bad weather but this is insane. I'm not sure how LA plans on taking this all on. The situation up in big bear is mind blowing how bad the roads are. I just had to get my car towed after hitting a foot plus deep pothole that came from nowhere on Beverly Glenn and it ripped my bumper off which I don't even know how that possible.

I know Mayor Bass has setup a new initiative to report them and get them fixed but many of these roads will need to be entirely resurfaced.

To long standing residents here, has it ever been this bad? I've only been here since 2015 but I've never seen it like this. It's just as bad if not worse than Oklahoma in some places.
For some roads, yes, they've always been bad. But it's so dependent on where you are. A pothole from the rain showed up on my local street, but it was fixed within a week or so. Other places, not yet, although I'm seeing progress at least. But you did mention coming here in 2015. 2005 was another really wet year (El Nino), and the roads were awful then. So it's not a new thing, it really just is getting hit hard by rain.

Max Rockatansky

Doesn't seem especially bad to me this year all things considered.  Then again I'm the guy who regularly drives Fresno County and San Benito maintained roads.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: bing101 on April 12, 2023, 08:05:22 PM
The Last time we talked about US-99 was because Caltrans accidentally put a US-99 Sign at the US-50 @ CA-51, CA-99 Interchange in Sacramento.  This was when US-50/I-305 and CA-51/Business 80 was going through a maintenance project in the area. In Sacramento there is a CA-99 that has been rumored to be I-7 or I-9 for some time.

Is that still up? It's been a minute since I've been in Sac'to last.

Max Rockatansky

Grabbed my own photo of the US 99 sign on the Ventura Freeway gantry yesterday:

IMG_0701 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Speaking of 99, it turns out Caltrans signed CA 99 Business from the Manning Avenue exit near Fowler.  To my knowledge, the US 99/CA 99 on Golden State Boulevard in Fresno County has not been signed in any way for at least a decade:

99BCAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jrouse

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 17, 2023, 07:47:33 PM
Quote from: bing101 on April 12, 2023, 08:05:22 PM
The Last time we talked about US-99 was because Caltrans accidentally put a US-99 Sign at the US-50 @ CA-51, CA-99 Interchange in Sacramento.  This was when US-50/I-305 and CA-51/Business 80 was going through a maintenance project in the area. In Sacramento there is a CA-99 that has been rumored to be I-7 or I-9 for some time.

Is that still up? It's been a minute since I've been in Sac'to last.
Nope.  Was patched over with a 99 shield.  The sign structure has since been removed for the HOV lane project currently under construction through there.

SeriesE

I-40 west of Barstow was an actual submission for chargeable funds, but that was during 1968.  The Interstate corridor on CA 99 was never formally proposed, CA 210 was withdrawn from consideration during the late 1990s and CA 905 has never been formally considered. 

Regarding CA 99, the simplest answer for an non-chargeable Interstate corridor is either I-305 or (even better IMO) I-99.  Neither of those have the legislative number duplication nonsense to deal with.  I-99 won't make many road people happy (it would make me happy) but it would keep the corridor the number it always been.  Maintaining the 99 number would probably be favorable to local interests.  It certainly isn't less strange than I-238 and still arguably a better use of the number than east coast I-99.

I rather see a return of US 99 (+ upgrading the portion south of Sacramento to Interstate standards) TBH

Quillz

Quote from: SeriesE on April 18, 2023, 05:12:51 AM

I rather see a return of US 99 (+ upgrading the portion south of Sacramento to Interstate standards) TBH
I've said before that California should have done what Oregon does with their US highways, and turn them into de facto business routes/spurs. All the various CA-2xx highways could have been kept as a unified US-99 (273, 265, 263), and thus deviate from I-5 when necessary. (Just like how US-30 works with I-84). Had this been the case, there probably would have been enough justification to keep US-99 around in Oregon and Washington, too. After the '64 renumbering, numerous state highways existed in pieces anyway, so US-99 wouldn't have been any different in this regard.

But that's not what happened, obviously.

pderocco

Quote from: Quillz on April 18, 2023, 05:56:03 AM
I've said before that California should have done what Oregon does with their US highways, and turn them into de facto business routes/spurs. All the various CA-2xx highways could have been kept as a unified US-99 (273, 265, 263), and thus deviate from I-5 when necessary. (Just like how US-30 works with I-84). Had this been the case, there probably would have been enough justification to keep US-99 around in Oregon and Washington, too. After the '64 renumbering, numerous state highways existed in pieces anyway, so US-99 wouldn't have been any different in this regard.
It would be amusing to call 263 a "business route" since not a lot of business gets done on it.

Looks like they're doing this to 204, at least the part within Bakersfield, which is signed as both 204 and 99 Business. I expect the 204 signs will disappear eventually. They could sign the part outside Bakersfield too, and leave it as secret 204, like 51 in Sacramento which is signed as 80 Business.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on April 18, 2023, 09:47:44 PM
It would be amusing to call 263 a "business route" since not a lot of business gets done on it.

Looks like they're doing this to 204, at least the part within Bakersfield, which is signed as both 204 and 99 Business. I expect the 204 signs will disappear eventually. They could sign the part outside Bakersfield too, and leave it as secret 204, like 51 in Sacramento which is signed as 80 Business.

99 Business around Bakersfield is signed even south of the limits of CA 204 on Union Avenue towards the vicinity of Wheeler Ridge.

Occidental Tourist

They should take 178 off of surface streets in Bakersfield and sign the divided highway portion of 204 from the 99 to the 178 interchange as 178. South of there they can sign the rest of 204 as business 99.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on April 19, 2023, 03:46:34 PM

They should take 178 off of surface streets in Bakersfield and sign the divided highway portion of 204 from the 99 to the 178 interchange as 178. South of there they can sign the rest of 204 as business 99.

178 actually ends at 204 now. 

kernals12

Could the Tom Lantos Tunnels be modified to accomodate 4 lanes?

kkt

Doesn't look like it.  Each tunnel is one lane and a shoulder that's not wide enough to be another lane.

cl94

You're not adding a lane on either side of the tunnels, so it's pointless to take away the shoulder for a travel lane.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Did our take on the reemergence of the US 99 sign at the Ventura Freeway/Golden State Freeway interchange:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/04/the-reemergence-of-us-route-99-at.html

RZF

I don't know if this was ever brought up in the Pacific Southwest thread, but I've seen this erroneous sign for quite some time now. In Newbury Park, on Borchard Rd going NB right at the junction with US-101, the street sign shows a CA spade with a 101 inside instead of the US route shield:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1827868,-118.926352,3a,38.1y,37.89h,104.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7KnNJMhP39e98uEnp3KHvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Quillz

Quote from: RZF on April 22, 2023, 02:45:53 PM
I don't know if this was ever brought up in the Pacific Southwest thread, but I've seen this erroneous sign for quite some time now. In Newbury Park, on Borchard Rd going NB right at the junction with US-101, the street sign shows a CA spade with a 101 inside instead of the US route shield:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1827868,-118.926352,3a,38.1y,37.89h,104.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7KnNJMhP39e98uEnp3KHvg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Oh neat, I got to that area a ton but I've never seen that. First time I've ever seen CA-101.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.