News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

February 2023 CA Storm

Started by TJS23, February 23, 2023, 12:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jdbx on March 24, 2023, 03:30:17 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 24, 2023, 02:57:17 PM
A couple of us are anxiously awaiting the return of Tulare Lake.  It certainly will spur me to revisit places like Kettleman City, Alpaugh and Corcoran. 

I have been reading about the water wars already happening, between people trying to manage flood control and farmers trying to keep their fields from being flooded. https://sjvwater.org/boswell-poso-creek-stand-off-continues-as-flood-waters-build/  Mother Nature always gets the upper-hand eventually.

The local media has had a hard time trying to spin this story around Fresno.  The narrative has been mostly about the potential loss man hours and damage to the cotton fields at the Tulare Lake bed.  You can definitely tell there is economic factors at hand keeping certain parts of the story at bay, or at least toned down.

While I don't think anyone looks at the loss of income for a ton of Ag workers as anything good.  All the same it really has become apparent JG Boswell wasn't prepared for the possibility Tulare Lake would ever refill (which is basically a 100 year flood event).  This isn't a battle they are not likely to win, the water is coming and won't stop for months given the depth of the snow pack.  I think it's more a question of how much Tulare Lake is going to fill up now. 

How this all ties back to highways in a big way is with the flooding of CA 43 south of Corcoran along the Tule River. 

Quillz

On the way back home from the Eastern Sierra, I saw what appeared to be actual water on Owens Lake. Not like the little puddles that have to be legally maintained, I'm talking like an actual significant amount of water. I figure it won't last very long, but was a good way to illustrate the snowfall.

skluth

On the plus side, flooding in Tulare Lake will help replenish the ground water. Unfortunately, Central Valley farmers have used so much ground water that it would take several winters like this to truly make a difference.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Quillz on March 24, 2023, 04:21:54 PM
On the way back home from the Eastern Sierra, I saw what appeared to be actual water on Owens Lake. Not like the little puddles that have to be legally maintained, I'm talking like an actual significant amount of water. I figure it won't last very long, but was a good way to illustrate the snowfall.

LA Times had an article about the Aqueduct being damaged by the recent weather: https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2023-03-25/eastern-sierra-flooding-threatens-los-angeles-water-lifeline

SeriesE

Quote from: skluth on March 27, 2023, 11:21:24 AM
On the plus side, flooding in Tulare Lake will help replenish the ground water. Unfortunately, Central Valley farmers have used so much ground water that it would take several winters like this to truly make a difference.

I sure wish Turlare Lake will be permanently restored (of course that's never going to happen since the lake bed has became farmland). Having a body of water in the area will definitely help with summer temperatures and probably improve the air quality around it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SeriesE on March 27, 2023, 12:00:09 PM
Quote from: skluth on March 27, 2023, 11:21:24 AM

I sure wish Turlare Lake will be permanently restored (of course that's never going to happen since the lake bed has became farmland). Having a body of water in the area will definitely help with summer temperatures and probably improve the air quality around it.

I'm looking forward to the regulating effects this year, especially after hot it was last summer.  In fact I think Fresno has only topped 70F once this year.

pderocco

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on March 27, 2023, 11:40:32 AM
LA Times had an article about the Aqueduct being damaged by the recent weather: https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2023-03-25/eastern-sierra-flooding-threatens-los-angeles-water-lifeline
I was wondering why 136 had been closed.

I also wonder if this will affect the Olancha/Cartago bypass project, since that crosses the aqueduct in that area.

Max Rockatansky

CA 137 east of Corcoran was reopened by the HSR due to the Tule River floods on CA 43.  CA 137 was slated to be closed for much of the year:

https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/local-news/high-speed-rail-collaborates-with-kings-county-leaders-to-open-crucial-access-road/

cl94

Instead, CA 43 will likely be closed for much of the year.

The ongoing AR might be the last big winter storm for most of CA/NV. Storm tracks for April are generally favoring OR/WA, which should help their water issues.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

bing101

gonealookin

The Emerald Bay segment of CA 89 has been reopened after a closure of about 1-1/2 months due to damage from snow slides.

https://twitter.com/CaltransDist3/status/1643371740092051456

bing101

Quillz

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.