News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

White State Highway Spades

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 01, 2023, 08:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Quote from: Quillz on April 01, 2023, 11:07:25 PM
Quote from: theroadwayone on April 01, 2023, 11:06:31 PM
Quote from: Quillz on April 01, 2023, 08:37:47 PM
There is a CA-163 white spade.

I don't know if that "counts" or not. There are also a few signs along PCH that refer to it as a safety corridor, and use white spades.
It should be a Historic U.S.-395 shield. CA-163 didn't exist (or rather wasn't designated as such) during the white spade era.
They actually screwed up and had it US-163 prior.

They replaced a mistake with another mistake.
Hah, that's as good as the I-30BL in St Helens, Oregon, instead on US 30B!

Quillz

If we are looking at strictly aesthetics and nothing else, my two favorite spades are:

The original borderless bear spades. I'm not sure how many of these actually got posted in the field, it seems they were replaced pretty fast (as soon as 1938). I can see why, being able to see them from a distance would have been very tough without that border. However, I think this design, modernized, can work well as a marker, since the background would be green and thus you don't need any border, you just need to maximize white space.

Modernized take

My other favorite would be the 1948-1959 bear spades. These used the modern fonts and modern retroreflective materials, combined with the old template. Main issue was the wider spade hadn't been thought of yet, so you see condensed fonts (mainly Series C) in most instances. That was the main limitation of the bear spades, they only came in one size. They were a bit narrower than the modern template, about 22" by 25".

I've used these as the basis for my modernized recreations:
historic black-on-white, black base

historic black-on-white, white base

modern white-on-green

It's all about the bear logo. You see it on many other signs in California (welcome signs, historic site signs, etc.) It's good branding and consistent. Gives the signs within the state a unique feel and some charm. Which is why when it was lost on the modern spades, ugh... Never sat right with me. I also don't like the modern spades feel like they've got a ton of wasted space. The arched "California" fills it out a little bit, but not enough. The older bear spades did a better job of using the entire template. I noticed on the bear spades, the bear faced to the right. However, on the state flag and all other signs in the state that feature a bear, it faces left.

Max Rockatansky

The G26-2 three digit US Route shield is one of the few wide shields I tend find aesthetically pleasing.  Most wide shield variants tend to look (for a lack of a better term) obese and unappealing to the eye.  Granted, my perspective is a guy who collects signs and not as a highways engineer responsible for MUTCD compliant signage.

Here is are two examples of three digit standard width G28-2 shields.  The numbers look a little odd given they are substantially smaller than normal:

https://flic.kr/p/RTSoV4

https://flic.kr/p/2nfNpnW

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2023, 05:11:28 PM
The G26-2 three digit US Route shield is one of the few wide shields I tend find aesthetically pleasing.  Most wide shield variants tend to look (for a lack of a better term) obese and unappealing to the eye.  Granted, my perspective is a guy who collects signs and not as a highways engineer responsible for MUTCD compliant signage.

Here is are two examples of three digit standard width G28-2 shields.  The numbers look a little odd given they are substantially smaller than normal:

https://flic.kr/p/RTSoV4

https://flic.kr/p/2nfNpnW
See I disagree slightly there. I don't like that the legend has to be made smaller to fit. I like the modern wide spade, however, where I think it works best is when you see those custom D(M) digits that Caltrans used to use a ton. Because it fills out the spacing as much as possible.

I think this is your photo:

While the placement of the "120" is a bit haphazard, I like it overall. Fills out most of the space, the slightly thicker digits make it legible, using proper sized digits.

Max Rockatansky

Amusing how I can sometimes barely recognize the photos I've taken.  To me though, that's a more idea use of a standard width G28-2 shield for three digits.  Those appear to be standard size numbers.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Quillz on April 06, 2023, 04:37:05 PM

Love these. Particularly this one. That being said, if California ever changed its highway shields, they would not continue with the gold rush theme due to the current and future political climate in the capitol.

Quillz

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on April 07, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Love these. Particularly this one. That being said, if California ever changed its highway shields, they would not continue with the gold rush theme due to the current and future political climate in the capitol.
Yes, I don't foresee the shields ever being changed going forward. Although I wonder how many people even know the shields are shaped like a spade (itself a Gold Rush reference). Oddly enough, an article about the old highway shields that KCET published said the grizzly bear was the more "problematic" aspect of them, due to their extinction within the state since 1922.

Article: https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/what-does-californias-state-highway-shield-symbolize

bing101

If we are looking at strictly aesthetics and nothing else, my two favorite spades are:

The original borderless bear spades. I'm not sure how many of these actually got posted in the field, it seems they were replaced pretty fast (as soon as 1938). I can see why, being able to see them from a distance would have been very tough without that border. However, I think this design, modernized, can work well as a marker, since the background would be green and thus you don't need any border, you just need to maximize white space.

Modernized take

My other favorite would be the 1948-1959 bear spades. These used the modern fonts and modern retroreflective materials, combined with the old template. Main issue was the wider spade hadn't been thought of yet, so you see condensed fonts (mainly Series C) in most instances. That was the main limitation of the bear spades, they only came in one size. They were a bit narrower than the modern template, about 22" by 25".

modern white-on-green

It's all about the bear logo. You see it on many other signs in California (welcome signs, historic site signs, etc.) It's good branding and consistent. Gives the signs within the state a unique feel and some charm. Which is why when it was lost on the modern spades, ugh... Never sat right with me. I also don't like the modern spades feel like they've got a ton of wasted space. The arched "California" fills it out a little bit, but not enough. The older bear spades did a better job of using the entire template. I noticed on the bear spades, the bear faced to the right. However, on the state flag and all other signs in the state that feature a bear, it faces left.

Nice one on the pre-1964 California state route shields.

skluth

(text and pics deleted)

modern white-on-green

I gotta say I really like that green and white design. If California ever decides to change their highway markers and held a vote, that would probably be my top pick.

Quillz

Thanks. It's interesting to note that white-on-green was chosen because of informal tests that suggested the color scheme was more visible than black-on-white during nighttime and hazy weather conditions. I wonder if more proper tests conducted today would come to the same result. Because I'm not sure how well that actually holds up. It seems the age of the sign/shield is more a factor than the specific color scheme. (Of course, it was also noted that having the new color scheme was partly the motivation for eliminating a lot of US highways within the state).

Quillz

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on April 04, 2023, 04:55:57 PM
Personally, I always preferred the white CA shields (which were already being replaced by green ones when I was born). And the ones with the bear were really cool. Not crazy about the plain green - especially as it ends up being just an outline (or looking like one) on BGS'.
I believe that was intentional. California has always had "outline" shields from the very beginning. The earliest BGS would actually have been BBS (white legend on black background), and thus the spades were just outlined. This technically made them the wrong color, but there were also white signs that used outlines, thus the proper black-on-white. IIRC, I believe California was given an exception to keep using outline shields into the modern BGS era, because otherwise they would need to have a white background against the green. (Although had California just kept the original color scheme, this would have worked out fine).

Example of the early big black signs, demonstrating the original "outline:"

Example of a standard sign, since it had a white background the marker itself was also an "outline:"

That said, I don't really care for the outline look. I do think it harms legibility. This is why I liked what Idaho did (prior to 2020), when they used a reversed color scheme specifically for BGS. So the shields had white legend on black background, but the markers were black legend on white background. Something like that could work on California BGS, effectively green legend on white background. That is, if the intent is to have a white background for improved legibility.

Scott5114

The story I always heard was that BPR put their foot down and required the freeway shields to be the same color as the independent-mount signs. Thus the white shields on freeway signage. Caltrans much preferred outline shields, so they changed the independent-mount shields to be green so they could use outline shields and still have the colors match the way BPR wanted.

As for why the color of signage is green rather than black, that has to do with federal standard. It wasn't anything so formal as evaluating nighttime conditions as it was a popularity poll. The head of BPR at the time was Bertram Tallamy, who had previously run the New York Thruway Authority, which used blue signs, and he wanted that to become federal standard. Other people within the agency were pushing for green. (Complicating matters was that Tallamy was colorblind and so wasn't really the best judge of visibility in this case.) So the solution was to just set up a test track, with blue, green, and California black, and ask drivers to vote for which one they liked the best. Green won and it wasn't particularly close. Black was the least popular option.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ClassicHasClass

Just went by the white 134 on the 170 Hollywood Fwy yesterday. Looks great.

Bobby5280

I'm kind of surprised Virginia's state highway shield hasn't been mentioned yet. It sort of looks like an upside down version of California's spade symbol, but the top of Virginia's spade is flat and the bottom of it isn't pointed. The first time I saw it (back when I was a kid) the shape reminded me of a Pepto-Bismol tablet.

formulanone

Here's my pic of it, from last February.

I thought it just faded, so I learned something new this week...

Quillz

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 09, 2023, 04:33:16 PM
I'm kind of surprised Virginia's state highway shield hasn't been mentioned yet. It sort of looks like an upside down version of California's spade symbol, but the top of Virginia's spade is flat and the bottom of it isn't pointed. The first time I saw it (back when I was a kid) the shape reminded me of a Pepto-Bismol tablet.
I really want to like those shields, but I've tried turning them into cutouts and something about them just bugs me aesthetically. I think they're too wide. But they are some of my favorite state highway shields if only because it's something different. (Same reason I really like Wisconsin's slice of cheese stuck inside a square shields).

Quillz

Quote from: formulanone on April 09, 2023, 06:44:06 PM
Here's my pic of it, from last February.

I thought it just faded, so I learned something new this week...

Ironically, resistance to fading is one of the cited reasons white-on-green was chosen. The problem with black is it can fade very quickly in sunlight, whereas white-on-green can go a really long time. I've come across some faded shields and the color scheme is still recognizable.

Max Rockatansky

Got an example of how fade resistant green spades are in my garage:

https://flic.kr/p/H49k4Y

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 09, 2023, 10:46:03 PM
Got an example of how fade resistant green spades are in my garage:

https://flic.kr/p/H49k4Y
Nice. I don't know what era that spec is, but I love it. One of my all-time favorite California road signs:

Unfortunately, never got to see it live. It's near a really pretty rest area just south of Oregon but nowdays it's been replaced by shields (not markers) which don't work as well.

bing101

Quote from: Quillz on April 07, 2023, 02:35:36 PM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on April 07, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Yes, I don't foresee the shields ever being changed going forward. Although I wonder how many people even know the shields are shaped like a spade (itself a Gold Rush reference). Oddly enough, an article about the old highway shields that KCET published said the grizzly bear was the more "problematic" aspect of them, due to their extinction within the state since 1922.

Article: https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/what-does-californias-state-highway-shield-symbolize

Good point its a gold rush reference.

jdbx

I have yet to find a photograph anywhere, but I also recall a white shield on an advanced BGS for the CA-20 exit from US-101 near Calpella. That was posted at least until the early 2000's, and was the only one I ever saw here in Northern California since I had started driving (which was in 1995).

heynow415

Quote from: jdbx on April 11, 2023, 12:19:33 PM
I have yet to find a photograph anywhere, but I also recall a white shield on an advanced BGS for the CA-20 exit from US-101 near Calpella. That was posted at least until the early 2000's, and was the only one I ever saw here in Northern California since I had started driving (which was in 1995).

There used to be one at the s/b 101 to e/b 37 ramp  https://goo.gl/maps/R1eF1poiAtnLCqeSA  with a white 37 spade until the mid-2000's.  I can't think of any others, though.

jrouse

There were white CA-20 shields used on signs at the junction of I-80 and CA-20 up until the early 1990s.

Max Rockatansky

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.