News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

White State Highway Spades

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 01, 2023, 08:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

On a weekend trip to Universal Studios, I went out of my way to get a couple decent photos of the white CA 134 spade on southbound CA 170 approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange.  Aside from NPS sourced shields, is this the last white California spade left in field? 

IMG_0434 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0436 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Quillz

There is a CA-163 white spade.

I don't know if that "counts" or not. There are also a few signs along PCH that refer to it as a safety corridor, and use white spades.

Quillz

There is (or was) also one for CA-154 in Santa Barbara for a long time. I know a pic of it got posted here once, but I can't find it offhand.

There was also one for CA-118. (Referencing when CA-118 extended farther east towards Pasadena).

However, I can't verify if this is still standing or not. (And not too far from where this pic was taken, you can find some all-black Interstate shields on 405 BGS).

Max Rockatansky

Someone else mentioned that CA 118 shield on a Facebook group, how long ago did you take your photo?

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 01, 2023, 08:44:03 PM
Someone else mentioned that CA 118 shield on a Facebook group, how long ago did you take your photo?
Not my photo, but it's dated from 2007.

I'm gonna search and see if I can find that CA-154 spade again, I know it got posted a couple years back because I specifically made a thread asking about what white miner spades still remained.

Quillz

Mapmikey

Quote from: Quillz on April 01, 2023, 08:41:33 PM
There is (or was) also one for CA-154 in Santa Barbara for a long time. I know a pic of it got posted here once, but I can't find it offhand.

There was also one for CA-118. (Referencing when CA-118 extended farther east towards Pasadena).

However, I can't verify if this is still standing or not. (And not too far from where this pic was taken, you can find some all-black Interstate shields on 405 BGS).

The CA 118 shield was removed between Jan 2009 and Oct 2011 - https://goo.gl/maps/C56iD558HuQyQLPd9

The CA 154 shield was removed before the 1st GMSV in Nov 2007 - https://goo.gl/maps/PSf8NaEKyvvX59RM8

cahwyguy

Quote from: Quillz on April 01, 2023, 08:47:55 PM
Found it!

It should be noted that photo was taken during a roadgeeking meet ages and ages ago. You can see me in the picture, and I think my daughter came with (she was under 10 at the time; she's now working on her dissertation and PhD).
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

theroadwayone

Quote from: Quillz on April 01, 2023, 08:37:47 PM

I don't know if that "counts" or not. There are also a few signs along PCH that refer to it as a safety corridor, and use white spades.
It should be a Historic U.S.-395 shield. CA-163 didn't exist (or rather wasn't designated as such) during the white spade era.

Quillz

Quote from: theroadwayone on April 01, 2023, 11:06:31 PM

It should be a Historic U.S.-395 shield. CA-163 didn't exist (or rather wasn't designated as such) during the white spade era.
They actually screwed up and had it US-163 prior.

They replaced a mistake with another mistake.

bing101

I seen Oahu area freeways use White State Highway Spades before. At first glance they look like the old California route shields though until I saw closely that it's more pointed than a California spade.

Quillz

Yes, similar shape but not quite the same. The older template had the state name on them, too.

I think of them more as "raindrop shields" and less "miner spades."

Max Rockatansky

The Division of Highways sent an engineer to assist the military during World War II with road development on the Hawaiian islands.  I suspect that played as an influence for the shape of the Hawaii Route shield.  The Hawaii Route Spade originally appeared on secondary roads in the World War II era highway network on Oahu. 

theroadwayone

Quote from: Quillz on April 01, 2023, 11:07:25 PM
Quote from: theroadwayone on April 01, 2023, 11:06:31 PM

They actually screwed up and had it US-163 prior.

They replaced a mistake with another mistake.
A mistake, may I add, that won't get fixed for quite a while. Maybe not in our lifetimes.

Quillz

I'm fine with that. I kind of like white spades.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Quillz on April 02, 2023, 01:30:56 PM
Yes, similar shape but not quite the same. The older template had the state name on them, too.

Yes, I think they're supposed to be raindrops, not spades.

Quillz

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 03, 2023, 09:03:19 PM

Yes, I think they're supposed to be raindrops, not spades.
That's the impression I got. I noticed there is no wide variant, though. You'll just see thinner numbers for three-digit highways. Not a bad shield design but could be improved a bit. Perhaps an arched "HAWAII" (similar to what California does) could help fill it out a bit more. (Right now the numbers aren't centered so the shield just looks really empty and unbalanced).

StogieGuy7

Personally, I always preferred the white CA shields (which were already being replaced by green ones when I was born). And the ones with the bear were really cool. Not crazy about the plain green - especially as it ends up being just an outline (or looking like one) on BGS'.

Max Rockatansky

The Bear Shield with the black border IMO was the most aesthetically pleasing spade design.  I do prefer the current green spade to the white 1956-63 iteration.

Quillz

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 04, 2023, 05:29:52 PM
The Bear Shield with the black border IMO was the most aesthetically pleasing spade design.  I do prefer the current green spade to the white 1956-63 iteration.
Agreed. I loved the bear symbol. It's used on other signs and created some consistency and branding. It could have been modernized fairly easily.

Henry

Quote from: bing101 on April 02, 2023, 09:14:42 AM
I seen Oahu area freeways use White State Highway Spades before. At first glance they look like the old California route shields though until I saw closely that it's more pointed than a California spade.

I think of them more as "raindrop shields" and less "miner spades."
I see some similarities with the OR shields too. They look somewhat like the miner's spades, but turned upside down.

Yeah, I do wish the bear logo would carry over to the current shields, come to think of it. While the current (green) shields are pretty good, it was the bear that made them timeless.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bing101

Here is a 3 digit Hawaii State Route.

Here is a more interesting one there's a Hawaii State Route that has a state route on 4 digits.http://www.hawaiihighways.com/moanalua-freeway-exit3.jpg

This is Hawaii State Route 7310. 4 digits state routes does not exist in California.

bing101

CA-17 at the time Nimitz freeway opened in the 1950's.

Here is the CA-17 since the 1964 renumbering.

ClassicHasClass

QuoteI see some similarities with the OR shields too. They look somewhat like the miner's spades, but turned upside down.

Best called convergent evolution, as I think it was a simplification of the state seal (the older shields were cutouts with eagles; many examples in the AARoads gallery).

pderocco

Quote from: bing101 on April 02, 2023, 09:14:42 AM

Steel guitar pick?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.