News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

OK 17 Detour onto OK 7

Started by Bobby5280, June 05, 2014, 01:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Over this past week I've noticed some construction detour signs on Lee Blvd/OK-7 in Lawton regarding state highway 17. At first, when I saw these detour signs with an OK-17 marker I thought ODOT had made another goof with OK-7 signs and that maybe some bridge repair was going on somewhere between Lawton and Duncan. But this is actually some kind of a detour route for OK-17. The funny thing is Lee Blvd in Lawton is quite a ways South of Elgin where OK-17 terminates. Why do they have this detour going so far South?
:confused:

Scott5114

Most likely, ODOT wants to keep the detour route on state highways. The nearest east-west highways to SH-17 are US-277/SH-19 to the north and SH-7 to the south.

Realistically, you could probably detour on section-line county roads if you knew where you were going, but these roads may not be capable of handling the traffic load.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 05, 2014, 10:09:49 PM
Most likely, ODOT wants to keep the detour route on state highways. The nearest east-west highways to SH-17 are US-277/SH-19 to the north and SH-7 to the south.

Realistically, you could probably detour on section-line county roads if you knew where you were going, but these roads may not be capable of handling the traffic load.

That's what Arkansas does: Detours follow marked highways.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Arkansastravelguy

Kansas and Nebraska does that as well. Detour a road in some cases 50 miles out of the way when a 2 mile dirt road detour is available. Of course we don't want semis on dirt roads, but still...

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.