News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 15, 2024, 11:40:05 PMAnd yet you somehow missed that I've said numerous times that I didn't think the closure here is necessary.  It would also be true to say that I don't think this closure is worth the battle fighting against.

I also said what my angle was yesterday.  You obviously missed all that when you were busy putting words in my mouth.  Maybe actually read what I actually wrote next time?

So yes, I don't understand the angst at hand.  This is such a small closure in the grand scheme of things and not the portend of an onslaught of forcible urbanism.  You clearly disagree but I can't help but feel it is largely because you stand to be nominally inconvenienced. 
Alright fair enough.
Pacific Southwest / Re: CARxR 1.11: Highway Naming
Last post by SeriesE - Today at 02:17:02 AM
Quote from: RZF on Today at 01:58:09 AMWhy does D7 always insist on "Los Angeles" on so many of its freeways that are relatively close to downtown?
Seems as if the original planners came straight from 1850 - only the original square counts as "Los Angeles" :-D
Traffic Control / Re: Department of Redundancy D...
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 02:15:22 AM
Quote from: plain on Today at 01:37:58 AMAll sorts of redundancy with this one. They could've removed the old tabs when they replaced the older unisign some years back (go back to 2007) but they didn't. They did remove the extra SOUTH though :-D 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SZxWrZn3BBq4jHSb9?g_st=ac
They had two occasions to have a properly colored TOLL plate and missed both.
General Highway Talk / Re: Lowest-numbered route you ...
Last post by Konza - Today at 02:07:00 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 15, 2024, 04:35:36 PMMy number had long been 248, but I just realized my usual route to shunpike the toll bridges crossing into PA along I-78 technically involves a very short bit of PA 248. This moves me up to......

249. Woo.

Looks like I need to take a quick side jaunt on my next trip through NW Indiana...

Joplin is also nice this time of year...
Weather / Re: What's your weather curren...
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 02:02:24 AM
The record low for July 19 (Friday) is 68º in DFW, which marks the 10-year anniversary of the glorious "polar vortex" of 2014. By the way, 68º is the warmest record low on the books for all 365 days in DFW.

Right now Friday's forecast is 70º, so that's the closest we'll get to breaking the record. The records for the following days are well into the lower 60s (and a 59º on 7/23/1970). But this week is gonna be freaking nice. Just one more triple-digit day to go.
Pacific Southwest / Re: CARxR 1.11: Highway Naming
Last post by RZF - Today at 01:58:09 AM
Quote from: mrsman on July 15, 2024, 09:07:34 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on July 15, 2024, 02:19:42 PM
Quote134 is so far from Ventura.  I realize its an Eastern extension of the E-W 101 thru SF Valley, but still.  (Yet, Pasadena and Glendale are already taken).

It's kinda like how 101 north of 5 is still the Santa Ana Freeway, keeping in mind that 5 south of that interchange was all part of 101 at some point.

While that is technically true, I don't think in common-parlance people were aware that the southernmost section of US 101 was part of the Santa Ana Fwy.  As a budding roadgeek in the pre-internet era (before this forum and mtr) I assumed that US 101 was the Hollywood Fwy all the way down to the East LA interchange.

When I was a kid, a lot of my friends would play the game of asking me how many freeways to get from here (West LA area) to X.  Sometimes I would ask them to define what is a separate freeway.  Is the 101-Ventura a separate freeway from the 101-Hollywood?  Same number but you definitely transition an interchange to make the change.  Is the 101-Ventura a separate freeway from the 134-Ventura?  Is the 91-Artesia a separate freeway from 91-Riverside?  Is the 5-Golden State or the 101-Downtown the proper continuation of the 5-Santa Ana Fwy?  No clear answers were given. 

And this explains how the "named" freeways reflect a more streamlined, straight route than the numbered routes do (e.g., 101 and 170 being the Hollywood Fwy, effectively a NW/SE straight line from DTLA to the SF Valley).

It's interesting to me how the principal city of the area, Los Angeles, does not have its own freeway designation. If anything, CA-118, many miles away from downtown, replaced Los Angeles Ave as the main E/W arterial in Simi Valley and could've adopted this designation.

On the topic of downtown (and maybe for a separate topic), San Diego implements "Downtown" as a control city on its freeways going towards there. These are within the city limits of course, but I think it's a great distinction to make. Why does D7 always insist on "Los Angeles" on so many of its freeways that are relatively close to downtown?
Weather / Re: What's your weather curren...
Last post by Road Hog - Today at 01:45:09 AM
Big cooldown for us by Thursday as we get a front in here. Highs will barely get out of the 80s throughout the remainder of the 10-day forecast. Looks like a Pacific disturbance will cross over Mexico and give us a good chance of rain starting Sunday.
Traffic Control / Re: Department of Redundancy D...
Last post by plain - Today at 01:37:58 AM
All sorts of redundancy with this one. They could've removed the old tabs when they replaced the older unisign some years back (go back to 2007) but they didn't. They did remove the extra SOUTH though :-D 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SZxWrZn3BBq4jHSb9?g_st=ac
Pacific Southwest / Re: Wilshire Boulevard in MacA...
Last post by SeriesE - Today at 01:36:48 AM
and a bit south, Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley cut off through access for Heil Avenue and Ward Street. Traffic just detoured around the park.
Off-Topic / Re: Target no longer accepting...
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 12:46:10 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 12:32:21 AM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on Today at 12:23:34 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 12:01:16 AM^^^

Still largely retail Loss Prevention. 

Quote from: tchafe1978 on July 15, 2024, 11:55:44 PMPOS, cash register. Associate, employee. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. To-may-to, to-mah-to. Same difference. Who really cares? Oh right, I forgot where we are arguing about this at.

Clearly quite a few care.  This thread grew several pages once we began to talk about the perplexities of retail culture.  You also responded to the thread and by proxy contributed to it being currently popular.

I guess you got me...

I work retail myself, but I guess I've been in the business so long that how people refer to things like those being discussed are among the more minor annoynaces of the job and I don't really get bothered by them.

Less of an annoyance in my case a fascination over questioning everything around me, including the apparent truisms.

I feel like retail and hospitality are two of the industries most affected by the "I go to restaurants and stores, therefore I know the intricacies of those industries better than those who have worked there for years" epidemic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.