Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Corridor H

<< < (279/280) > >>

Dirt Roads:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2022, 09:51:54 AM ---There is absolutely nothing in Thomas or Davis worth stopping for.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 13, 2022, 02:52:49 PM ---I know that you added this in the midst of a rant, but man this one hurts.  I love all of these little old coal mining towns all over including Southwestern Pennsylvania, Western Maryland, Southwest Virginia and (yup) Eastern Kentucky.  They don't look pretty, and the folks in Eastern Kentucky are very leery of outsiders (even those of us with a strong Appalachian dialect), but every business that remains open has got an interesting history (and fun stories to tell).

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2022, 11:12:10 AM ---I like all those little towns as well. The drive from Welch to Bluefield on US 52 is interesting because of all the little coal camps the road passes through. But the reality is that there's little there from an economic generation standpoint.

--- End quote ---

Indeed.  You were trying to hammer down a point and you cut a bit of yourself down in the process.  Not sure that everybody watching took notice.  One of the charms of West Virginia is the willingness to tackle nearly-impossible highway projects that they know they can't really afford, just to get a big payoff 50 years down the road.  And improve the beauty of the State in the process.  (Not all of those projects hit paydirt, but many have).

seicer:
Come on HB. Nothing to stop in Thomas or Davis? I know there are next to no chains (thankfully) in that area, but both towns are in a vacation mecca. It's next to Blackwater Falls State Park, Dolly Sods Wilderness, Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge, and the Monongahela National Forest - among many smaller private preserves by the Nature Conservancy and other entities. I've been going up there for 15+ years, and it's gone from being a fairly quiet and remote outpost of the state - more for locals, to one that's been noticed nationwide. Dolly Sods had a literal traffic jam last year, where it was gridlocked for 10 miles because of too much traffic and not enough control or movement.

Using your analogy, we'd be excluding most of Appalachia because we know there isn't much of anything in southwest West Virginia or eastern Kentucky. Parks are far and few between, the scenery isn't exceptional, the coal mining jobs (which the area was exclusively supported on) is dwindling, and the poverty is astounding. A new road won't fix that down there.

froggie:
^ On top of that, the Canaan Valley (and all its resorts) is literally right up the hill from Davis.

seicer:
Corridor H Parsons To Davis Comment Period Is Extended

The West Virginia Division of Highways and the Federal Highway Administration have extended the comment period for the Parsons-to-Davis section of Corridor H to Jan. 6, 2023.

-

Comment at https://transportation.wv.gov/highways/engineering/comment/CorridorHParsonsToDavis/Pages/default.aspx

-

Preferred alternative roll plot: https://transportation.wv.gov/highways/major-projects/Corridor-H/route/Documents/Parson%20to%20Davis/2022-09-07-Corridor-H-Mainline-Roll-Plot-500.pdf

This shows a trumpet interchange for WV 32/US 219 between Davis and Thomas, a bridge over the N. Fork Blackwater River by the old coke ovens near Coketon and Thomas, a bridge over Long Run, an interchange for US 219 at Mackeyville, and a truck escape ramp. It does not seem like there will be any intersections on this segment. This map also depicts the WV 32 bypass of Thomas.

I think the problem with going north of Thomas is the impact on the city of Thomas' reservoir, so more likely than not, you would need to loop further to the northerly WV 32/US 219 intersection. The bonus with a rerouting to the north of Thomas is the elimination of the WV 32 bypass of Thomas - which seems to be overkill even in the busiest of seasons. The money on the bypass could be better spent upgrading pedestrian infrastructure in Thomas and Davis - with proper sidewalks, ADA ramps, and curbing.

Edit: Looks like the 2007 SFEIS shows all of the proposed alignments: https://transportation.wv.gov/highways/major-projects/Corridor-H/route/Documents/Parson%20to%20Davis/Parsons-to-Davis_Complete-Handout.pdf

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: seicer on December 15, 2022, 09:59:03 AM ---

This shows a trumpet interchange for WV 32/US 219 between Davis and Thomas, a bridge over the N. Fork Blackwater River by the old coke ovens near Coketon and Thomas, a bridge over Long Run, an interchange for US 219 at Mackeyville, and a truck escape ramp. It does not seem like there will be any intersections on this segment. This map also depicts the WV 32 bypass of Thomas.

--- End quote ---

I believe there will be an at-grade intersection with existing US 219 near Tucker County High School. I think this is a mistake personally as you're going to be putting a bunch of school busses through this intersection, which will probably drive it to become signalized. Build at least a RIRO like is proposed at Mackeyville.

It looks like the existing route of US 219 will remain its own independent road up the mountain, albeit with some relocations in places to move it out of the footprint of new Corridor H constructions.

I think the trumpet dumping out on present WV 93 by Davis is an attempt to appease people complaining about the new highway dividing Thomas and Davis. The plans show Corridor H being buried in a cut at WV 32. I'm not a fan of making traffic use side access roads to get to the highway like is proposed here and happens at Moorefield. Use a trumpet on the mainline and have it end on WV 32, or if you're going to keep the trumpet along WV 93, connect the street grid to provide better connectivity from the interchange to downtown Davis.

The Thomas bypass was originally intended to get trucks out of town but it seems to have taken on a life of its own. I do agree that relocating mainline Corridor H north of Thomas would eliminate the need for the Thomas bypass and wrote as much in the comments I submitted on this project.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version