News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-39 in Wisconsin

Started by DrZoidberg, January 26, 2009, 11:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrZoidberg

I was curious if I-39 is signed all the way through Wasau now?  I heard it's terminus was being moved north to the WI-29 Westbound interchange, but wanted to know if signs were up yet.

On that note, I think I-39 in Wisconsin could have a little more "legitimacy" if US 51 was routed along WI-16, WI-13, and then WI-73, rejoining the current freeway between Stevens Point and Wasau.  Thoughts?

Nick

Portland, OR
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

Voyager

I know just the person to ask for that! I'll get back to you soon.

[they live in Wasau]
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

catofdar

The last (and only time) I was in Wausau was back in 2007, and at that point the overlap of US 51/WI 29 was under construction.  I-39 also still terminated at the southern WI 29 interchange (where WI 29 breaks away toward Green Bay).  I know that one of the major projects of the reconstruction was a complete freeway-to-freeway interchange that represents the north/west split between US 51 and WI 29 (believe it or not, it was a simple diamond interchange in 2007!  :-o).  When I make my way up that way again (it's a good 4 hour drive from me!) I will let you know...or someone else will beat me to it  :)
CatOfDar Roads...Adding random meows to road enthusiasm since 2005.

SSOWorld

I was up that direction last December, and it is still terminated at the WI-29 East interchange.  The WI 29 West interchange will be under construction through next year (3 of the 4 ramps are open, only the EB-NB ramp remains.)  I don't think they have plans to move the terminus northward.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

wandering drive

Master son is right.  I went through Wausau two days ago and there was no proper terminus in either direction.  There are a couple "TO 39" overhead signs southbound I think along the WI-29 portion of US-51, so it looks like they'll keep it where it is

SSOWorld

Quote from: wandering drive on February 20, 2009, 03:10:49 PM
Master son is right.  I went through Wausau two days ago and there was no proper terminus in either direction.  There are a couple "TO 39" overhead signs southbound I think along the WI-29 portion of US-51, so it looks like they'll keep it where it is
btw - judging by your avatar, I gather you've been to Madison.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

wandering drive

Quote from: Master son on February 20, 2009, 06:24:47 PM
btw - judging by your avatar, I gather you've been to Madison.
Good catch!  I live here, but work takes me all over southern and occasionally central Wisconsin.

un1

I've been up on I-39 before. I'm just surprised that it is multiplexed with I-94and I-90 in one section.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

leifvanderwall

I actually have a great idea for I-39. I think it would be better putting I-39 on the US 53 freeway and converting the US 53 divided highway to interstate standards for a route from Madison to Duluth. Then have the I-39 up to Wausau be changed to I-590. Duluth-Superior area has a population of over 100,000 compared to Wausau's 32,000. Everyone has talked about health care needing to be revamped; well, so does our interstate system. I-39, I-69, I-73, I-74 are perfect examples of what is wrong with the interstate system. I mean, we can only solve one problem at a time, but our numbering system for the interstates needs to be changed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.