News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

India NH 2 (19)/AH 1

Started by Bickendan, February 08, 2020, 10:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

I'm currently in India and experienced the ride from Kolkata to Barddhaman and it was very eye opening.
Sadly, the video I took somehow got nuked when my phone's battery finally died.
Of interest, commercial vehicles (trucks/lorries) aren't permitted within Kolkata or Barddhaman during daylight hours. That doesn't necessarily prevent them from coming in.
Everyone honks. Lorries have 'Please honk' painted on their rear; they might not have side mirrors.
Lane markings are mere suggestions if they're even present. Vehicles will straddle the lane divider or will pass each other three abreast in a two lane section.
Any adherence to a 'keep left except when passing' rule is ignored.
Traffic is very mixed - pedestrians run across the carriageway, bicycles and scooters ply the shoulders, often going the wrong way, entering and exiting at every minor turnout, tractors and small trucks limited to 40 kmh competing for lane space, motorcycles weaving in and out of traffic with cars and lorries and buses...
And the sheer size of roadside business stalls abutting the road so drivers can pull over and patronize them, while blocking what shoulder there is and most of the left lane, forcing bikes and scooters (going the wrong way!) into traffic.
Exits can involve a u-turn onto the opposite carriageway taking the first on ramp, or drifting into the opposite carriageway at a crossover point and going the wrong way down an on ramp.
I will be getting video on the drive back to Kolkata, and for the segment from Jaipur to Agra to Delhi.

kurumi

I was on NH 2 between Delhi and Agra in 2007. Four lane expressway, no grade separations at the time. When we were southbound, there was a protest march closing the northbound side, so NH2 became a "Super 2".

A few photos are in this album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/therealkurumi/albums/72157618071237994
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Bickendan

Oh, nice! If that was the Taj Mahal, it looks smaller than I expected from that shot, so I'm good knowing that before I see it in person.

From what I understand, what was NH 2 from Agra to Delhi's now six laned.

Bickendan

Shifting this to a general India roads thread...
I recorded the ride from Barddhaman to Bolpur. Here's the first of five in the series.

Bickendan

seicer

I mean, the India Special of Top Gear hit upon driving and it's downright scary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ8SxeL2CmA

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.