News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cornelius Pass Road will now be Oregon 127

Started by OCGuy81, March 02, 2021, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Since Oregon is so good at signing state highways  :rolleyes: I'm sure we can expect signage on the route itself and BGS displays soon..... :-D

PORTLAND, Ore. – It's a steep, curvy, crash-prone road through the West Hills, and now it's the Oregon Department of Transportation's problem.

Control of the eight-mile section of Northwest Cornelius Pass Road between Highway 26 and Highway 30 was transferred to the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) on March 1. While it gets new state road designation as Highway 127, it will still be know as Cornelius Pass Rd. No street addresses are changing.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/steep-curvy-road-prone-to-crashes-is-now-odots-problem/283-697a1b66-31b4-4d7e-bd66-c43be569ac99 

Max Rockatansky

Neat, I'm glad I referenced Cornelius Pass when I did a blog on the Sunset Highway.

JasonOfORoads

Washington County still has jurisdiction over the Rock Creek Bridge. It was built in 1946 when the new alignment of Cornelius Pass Road was being constructed, and needs replacing before it can be turned over to ODOT.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Tarkus

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 02, 2021, 09:10:59 PM
Since Oregon is so good at signing state highways  :rolleyes: I'm sure we can expect signage on the route itself and BGS displays soon..... :-D

The article you linked said they were going to sign it.  I'm only expecting a few shields on the route itself, though--it'd be typical of ODOT to just to install two, one at the north end, one at the south.  I'd be absolutely shocked if they had OR-127 on any BGSes, and the most I'd anticipate them doing for that is some standalone "To OR-127" shields or the like.

-Tarkus

OCGuy81

You're probably right. ODOT won't replace any BGS and it'll probably be a sad standalone shield with a TO like they used to have for 551 near Canby

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Tarkus on March 04, 2021, 05:56:30 AM

The article you linked said they were going to sign it.  I'm only expecting a few shields on the route itself, though--it'd be typical of ODOT to just to install two, one at the north end, one at the south.  I'd be absolutely shocked if they had OR-127 on any BGSes, and the most I'd anticipate them doing for that is some standalone "To OR-127" shields or the like.

-Tarkus

I was in the area tonight and drove north and south on OR-127 between 26 and Old Cornelius Pass Rd. The southern terminus now has an "END OR-127 SOUTH" shield assembly, which might be the most complete shield assembly I've seen in Oregon at a highway terminus:

There were also a pair at the intersection of OR-127 and NE Wagon Dr., just north of the southern terminus; these were mounted facing cross-traffic, not on the highway itself:

It wasn't signed in any other capacity in either direction or at other cross streets between there and Old Cornelius Pass Rd.

OCGuy81

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on May 24, 2021, 02:27:37 AM
Quote from: Tarkus on March 04, 2021, 05:56:30 AM

-Tarkus

I was in the area tonight and drove north and south on OR-127 between 26 and Old Cornelius Pass Rd. The southern terminus now has an "END OR-127 SOUTH" shield assembly, which might be the most complete shield assembly I've seen in Oregon at a highway terminus:

There were also a pair at the intersection of OR-127 and NE Wagon Dr., just north of the southern terminus; these were mounted facing cross-traffic, not on the highway itself:

It wasn't signed in any other capacity in either direction or at other cross streets between there and Old Cornelius Pass Rd.

Oh wow! Great picture, thanks for sharing that.

I don't think I've seen Oregon use "END" sign assemblies.

xonhulu

I was up there 3 weekends ago and drove the entire length.  The two shields you pictured were the only ones I saw at the southern end.

The northern junction with US 30 was extensively signed.  Here's advance signage along EB US 30:

You can see a BGS in the distance of that first shot.  Here's a close-up of that (still on EB 30):

From the other direction (WB 30):

If you make that left turn, you immediately see this reassurance marker:

Turning around, this END shield is posted at the junction:

You can also see 127 and 30 shields on the blades attached to the mast-arms. Here's another view of that END sign which shows the mast-arm signage a little more clearly:

At that time, there was no other route signage in between the endpoints. 

Always cool to see a new route signed.

OCGuy81

Quote from: xonhulu on May 25, 2021, 12:28:09 AM
I was up there 3 weekends ago and drove the entire length.  The two shields you pictured were the only ones I saw at the southern end.

The northern junction with US 30 was extensively signed.  Here's advance signage along EB US 30:

You can see a BGS in the distance of that first shot.  Here's a close-up of that (still on EB 30):

If you make that left turn, you immediately see this reassurance marker:

Turning around, this END shield is posted at the junction:

You can also see 127 and 30 shields on the blades attached to the mast-arms,  Here's another view of that END sign which shows the mast-arm signage a little more clearly:

At that time, there was no other route signage in between the endpoints. 

Always cool to see a new route signed.

I'll have to drive it next time I'm in the Portland area! Great pictures.

Kudos ODOT, you finally did a great job at signing a route!

JCT signs?? END signs? That's not the ODOT I know. LOL.

Bickendan

OR 131 has had an END sign in Oceanside back in the mid 'oughts, one of the first Hwys to be signed as a Route when ODOT decided to publically unveil them in '02.

xonhulu

This is what that looks like in Oceanside:

And while I'm at it, its counterpart in Tillamook:

OCGuy81, you're right that END signs were once basically non-existent in Oregon.  But in recent years a few have been going up around the state. Besides OR 131, few others I can think of are:

US 30's and US 26's west ends
OR 104 by Fort Stevens
both ends of OR 569
OR 219 in Hillsboro

But I know there are some more in other parts of the state.  They're still uncommon, though.

JasonOfORoads

I've been taking frequent drives over Cornelius Pass for about the past 6 months or so. I took another one after work today and had these observations, in addition to the ones from xonhulu:

See that bare wooden post just to the right of the school crossing ahead sign? It's positioned more or less directly across the road from the END OR-127 SOUTH shield. I don't know for sure, but it seems that this would be an appropriate place for a BEGIN OR-127 NORTH shield that has yet to be mounted. This isn't too far from the offramp from US-26, so this seems an appropriate place to stick one.

Here's a close-up the sticker on the back of the BEGIN OR-127 SOUTH assembly. Seems these signs were manufactured in July 2019 and have been sitting in storage for almost 2 years.

Keep an eye on this bridge. It was built in 1946 when Cornelius Pass Road was realigned onto its current route. It's slated to be replaced by one that can support freight traffic, with wider shoulders. However, the estimated completion date is December 31, 2023, so it won't be ready for prime time just yet. Until then, the bridge is still being maintained by Washington County.

Interesting story about this photo -- a few seconds after I stopped taking these photos, I saw a car pass both the car on the right and the car behind it across the double yellow lines. If I'd been traveling down this road just 30-45 seconds later, my car might've been totalled and I might've been seriously injured or worse. Too bad I wasn't quick enough to snap a photo of the guy's license plate.

Quote from: xonhulu on May 25, 2021, 12:28:09 AM

Since you took a trip down there, ODOT has installed signs pointing to Hillsboro beyond these BGSes. Here's the one on US-30 eastbound:

I didn't get any standalone shots westbound, but you can see it peeking through in this photo:

Quote from: xonhulu on May 28, 2021, 12:56:21 AM
This is what that looks like in Oceanside:

And while I'm at it, its counterpart in Tillamook:

Huh, I've never seen Series E on an END banner before. Oregon mostly uses Series C.

Quote from: xonhulu on May 28, 2021, 12:56:21 AM
OCGuy81, you're right that END signs were once basically non-existent in Oregon.  But in recent years a few have been going up around the state. Besides OR 131, few others I can think of are:

US 30's and US 26's west ends
OR 104 by Fort Stevens
both ends of OR 469
OR 219 in Hillsboro

But I know there are some more in other parts of the state.  They're still uncommon, though.

BEGIN signs are even rarer. Before these, the only ones I was aware of were the pair of BEGIN EAST US-20 signs in Newport. From GSV:

xonhulu

Great photos, Jonathan.  I expect we'll see even more OR 127 signs going up later this year when ODOT repaves the highway.

QuoteBEGIN signs are even rarer. Before these, the only ones I was aware of were the pair of BEGIN EAST US-20 signs in Newport. From GSV:

I'm pretty sure those were the first in Oregon.  Oddly, there is no END 20 assembly in Newport.

There are at least 3 other examples.  Here's one on Freewater Hwy OR 339 that I recently posted in the general Oregon thread:

And two more on both ends of Alsea-Deadwood Hwy OR 501:

Those are the only two others that I have photos of and can remember right now.  So you're right, they're still extremely rare in Oregon.

QuoteInteresting story about this photo -- a few seconds after I stopped taking these photos, I saw a car pass both the car on the right and the car behind it across the double yellow lines. If I'd been traveling down this road just 30-45 seconds later, my car might've been totalled and I might've been seriously injured or worse. Too bad I wasn't quick enough to snap a photo of the guy's license plate.

I'm glad you & the car got through unscathed.  Cornelius Pass Rd. sees a lot of speeding & more than its share of impatient drivers. Likely because there are almost no legal or safe passing opportunities, and the 45 mph speed limit probably drives some to the verge of insanity.

pderocco

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on May 29, 2021, 02:31:21 AM
BEGIN signs are even rarer. Before these, the only ones I was aware of were the pair of BEGIN EAST US-20 signs in Newport. From GSV:

Too bad they didn't post the mileage to Boston, given that US-20 is the longest numbered route in the country.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: pderocco on June 01, 2021, 02:28:47 AM

Too bad they didn't post the mileage to Boston, given that US-20 is the longest numbered route in the country.

That's on a distance sign right around the corner.

xonhulu

QuoteThat's on a distance sign right around the corner.

Here's a photo of it:

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

xonhulu

I didn't photograph it, but I think there was a standalone JCT 127 posted right before the intersection and the signage in your first photo.

roadman65

I also see that in Oregon everything is a junction including Warrenton on US 101 on the Kings Bay causeway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

gonealookin

I've been taking frequent drives over Cornelius Pass for about the past 6 months or so. I took another one after work today and had these observations, in addition to the ones from xonhulu:

See that bare wooden post just to the right of the school crossing ahead sign? It's positioned more or less directly across the road from the END OR-127 SOUTH shield. I don't know for sure, but it seems that this would be an appropriate place for a BEGIN OR-127 NORTH shield that has yet to be mounted. This isn't too far from the offramp from US-26, so this seems an appropriate place to stick one.

To complete the thought and confirm the logical hypothesis, we have this installation:

As best I can tell that's the first indication anyone coming from the Washington County side has that they are on a state-maintained highway.  I couldn't find any reference to Oregon 127 either eastbound or westbound on US 26.

On the other end, the "BEGIN 127 SOUTH" assembly shown in xonhulu's 5/24/21 post above has gone AWOL.  I'm seeing all the Oregon 127 shields on US 30 as posted, but where that assembly appears to have been at one point all I see is an ODOT "Snow Zone" advisory sign.

xonhulu

Quote from: gonealookin on July 31, 2022, 11:45:09 PM

To complete the thought and confirm the logical hypothesis, we have this installation:

As best I can tell that's the first indication anyone coming from the Washington County side has that they are on a state-maintained highway.  I couldn't find any reference to Oregon 127 either eastbound or westbound on US 26.

Thanks for getting & posting a shot of that shield.  I've seen it but have been too lazy to get a pic of it.

Not only is it the first indication for northbound Cornelius Pass Rd traffic, it's the only reassurance shield on all of northbound 127.  And . . .

QuoteOn the other end, the "BEGIN 127 SOUTH" assembly shown in xonhulu's 5/24/21 post above has gone AWOL.  I'm seeing all the Oregon 127 shields on US 30 as posted, but where that assembly appears to have been at one point all I see is an ODOT "Snow Zone" advisory sign.

. . . since its northern counterpart is now gone, it's now the only reassurance shield on CP Rd itself in either direction!

I also noticed the missing shield at the US 30 endpoint when I drove through there a couple weeks ago.  I wondered then if it got hit by a vehicle and removed since it was right on the edge of a gravel pull-out and on the inside of a curve (the pull-out being where I parked when I photographed that junction).  The shield probably would've been better placed up the road a bit.

I think the snow advisory sign was already there; you can see it right behind the 127 shield in my photo, but turned sideways since it was then spring. I didn't turn off there to see what exactly had happened to the 127 shield, kind of wish I did now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.