News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2021 road meet idea: Paducah

Started by Alps, March 26, 2021, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

The US 60 Tennessee and Cumberland River Bridges are both being reconstructed this year. I don't know when they're planned to close, but a meet later this year or early in 2022 is probably the best timing. Putting it out there for someone to run with - I don't plan on returning.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on March 26, 2021, 09:22:03 PM
The US 60 Tennessee and Cumberland River Bridges are both being reconstructed this year. I don't know when they're planned to close, but a meet later this year or early in 2022 is probably the best timing. Putting it out there for someone to run with - I don't plan on returning.

I did a meet in that area during the I-69 construction in 2017. I think all the attendees ended up spending the night in Paducah, although the meet lunch was east of there at Grand Rivers. The Tennessee River bridge is already finished; I'm not sure what kind of work is going on there now. Oddly enough, not long after the new bridge opened, and before the old bridge could be imploded/demolished, the piers on the McCracken County side of the bridge shifted. They got the new bridge finished just in time.

There is some work being done to shore up the old Cumberland River bridge to make it last until the new span is completed. There are probably some details on District 1's Facebook page. There's nothing on the D-1 website.

Other possibilities to explore in the area are the US 641 relocation/widening between the WK Parkway and US 60, and the DDI at US 60 and I-24 (although I think the uniqueness has gone out of DDIs.) There are some RCUTs being built along US 45 between Paducah and Mayfield. I don't think any significant I-69/Purchase Parkway work is yet scheduled, although at some point they will have to rebuild the toll booth cloverleaf at KY 338 between Mayfield and Fulton. I'm not sure of the construction status of US 68 between Lake Barkley and Cadiz. Anyone wanting to check out a geographical oddity could visit Kentucky Bend, and those who enjoy ferry travel could look into the Cave-in-Rock and Dorena-Hickman ferries. There's also one in Tennessee not too far from Dover, a short distance from the state line.

Although I would be glad to help with ideas, I think I have pretty much retired from meet hosting (or attending) for a variety of reasons. If someone wants to take this on -- Jason Ilyes probably passes through Paducah as much as anyone because of his frequent trips to exhibit at toy shows in St. Louis -- I'll certainly contribute in any way I can, but my attendance would be doubtful. I didn't make it to the most recent Cincinnati or Portsmouth meets, and they were both less than a three hours' drive. Paducah is on the other side of the state.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Appreciate the insights. There were definitely two trusses under construction in close succession, even if one wasn't the TN.

EDIT: The other one was Spottsville. Not as close to Paducah as I thought.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on March 29, 2021, 06:23:33 PM
Appreciate the insights. There were definitely two trusses under construction in close succession, even if one wasn't the TN.

Yep. That bridge has been a thorn in the side of farmers for years, trying to get wide equipment from one side of the Green River to the other. They certainly are welcoming the new structure. I'm not sure if the existing truss bridge will be replaced by another truss bridge or a generic concrete span.

Judging from your posts on the Alps Roads Facebook page and here, I presume you did US 60 from some point in West Virginia across the Commonwealth to Cairo or Sikeston, then up to Chicagoland? The Cairo Bridge is up for replacement in a few years.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on March 30, 2021, 09:24:24 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 29, 2021, 06:23:33 PM

Yep. That bridge has been a thorn in the side of farmers for years, trying to get wide equipment from one side of the Green River to the other. They certainly are welcoming the new structure. I'm not sure if the existing truss bridge will be replaced by another truss bridge or a generic concrete span.

Judging from your posts on the Alps Roads Facebook page and here, I presume you did US 60 from some point in West Virginia across the Commonwealth to Cairo or Sikeston, then up to Chicagoland? The Cairo Bridge is up for replacement in a few years.
They're both boring concrete. I did it the other way around, from Cairo east to WV 16 (where I have it east to the end). I already have Cairo bridge photos so I did a video this time.

codyg1985

I may could make that meet work as a day trip if this happens, depending on Katie's work schedule.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.