News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

My Pick of Scariest Bridge at night: Card Sound Road Bridge

Started by Charto911, December 20, 2010, 11:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charto911

As I was leaving the Florida keys the other night I got a pleasant surprise taking an alternate route out of the Conch republic taking card sound road and when you hit the bridge when its pitch ack out because there are no lights its rather scary outside especially since the bridge was made very steep in order to prevent any future Flooding or other hurricane damage. So it makes my list as the pick for scariest bridge and area to drive around in at night.

Any thoughts or opinions from others who have driven on the bridge?
all about roads, highways, interstates, and offering a free pick for you sports fans out there.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Charto911 on December 20, 2010, 11:45:23 AMan alternate route out of the Conch republic

I thought US-1 was the only road in or out of the Keys...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Charto911

Nope http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_Sound_Bridge  it was made as an alternative exit and entry and my first time ever going to the keys during fantasy fest after the 9 mile stretch out there was an accident on US1 and we had to turn around and take card sound and thus the only reason why I knew about card sound road.
all about roads, highways, interstates, and offering a free pick for you sports fans out there.

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Charto911

Yup a very unknown fact whats your pick for the scariest bridge at night ?

Charto911

question: Do you have any idea what the lights are that you see about 2 miles before the bridge. Looks to be a city of some sorts is it key biscayne or the Ocean Reef Club?

Alex

Did not find the Card Sound Road Bridge scary, but if you are unwilling to go mach-9 on the causeway leading to it, you will get passed. Those heading to the exclusive Ocean Reef Club like to haul ass...

FWIW, we have a CR-905A/Card Sound Road Bridge page on the web site. Does the bridge still include a $1.00 toll?

realjd

Quote from: AARoads on December 20, 2010, 03:23:02 PM
Did not find the Card Sound Road Bridge scary, but if you are unwilling to go mach-9 on the causeway leading to it, you will get passed. Those heading to the exclusive Ocean Reef Club like to haul ass...

FWIW, we have a CR-905A/Card Sound Road Bridge page on the web site. Does the bridge still include a $1.00 toll?

Yes, there's still a $1.00 toll, unless the 18-mile stretch is closed in which case the toll is lifted. The toll booth does NOT take SunPass, so be sure to have cash!

Charto911

xcellntbuy

Historically, the path of US 1 of today is the "alternate" route for Card Sound Road/FL 905.  Card Sound Road is the original path of Henry Flagler's Overseas Railroad between the mainland and Upper Key Largo.

NE2

No it's not. US 1 south of Florida City follows the old railroad; Card Sound was the highway at that time.

edit: also see http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00071731/00013/8x?coord=25.27030246695212,-80.4735107421875,25.11544539706194,-80.3155517578125&vo=303&n=palmm
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

xcellntbuy

realjd

Quote from: xcellntbuy on December 20, 2010, 08:25:56 PM
I stand corrected.  Thank you.

Thank you? The dude called you out, publicly, ON THE INTERNET! That's serious business! Call him a "n00b" to restore your honor!

j/k of course. This is probably one of the few discussion forums on the 'net where people are actually civilized.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.