News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is it time for US 151 to become a full freeway between Madison and Fond du Lac?

Started by I-39, October 19, 2021, 10:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

It a lot of ways, it seems so. The corridor connects a growing region in the Fox Valley/Green Bay area to Madison and points south. It doesn't look like at least the sections between Columbus and Waupun would be too difficult to convert, but idk about the Waupun to Fond du Lac section.

https://wisconsindot.gov/pages/projects/by-region/sw/151/default.aspx

SEWIGuy

I think it is time for plans to be put in place to convert to full freeway, but the section between Waupun and Fond du Lac isn't at the point where it is immediately necessary.  Traffic is still pretty light on that portion since much of it exits to take WI-26 through Rosendale.

That being said, I think US-151 between Madison and Fond du Lac is more likely than any other "expressway" of significant length to be interstate compatible in the future.

I-39

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 19, 2021, 10:45:26 AM
I think it is time for plans to be put in place to convert to full freeway, but the section between Waupun and Fond du Lac isn't at the point where it is immediately necessary.  Traffic is still pretty light on that portion since much of it exits to take WI-26 through Rosendale.

That being said, I think US-151 between Madison and Fond du Lac is more likely than any other "expressway" of significant length to be interstate compatible in the future.

I don't think US 151 needs an interstate designation even if it was full freeway to Fond du Lac. It's mostly a connector anyway, and WisDOT hasn't really shown any keen interest in three digit interstates.

You're right about Waupun to Fond du Lac, but Columbus to Waupun is overdue to become a full freeway. Not sure why there isn't a bigger effort to implement the improvements proposed in the study above, considering all the manufacturing and distribution centers along the corridor.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: I-39 on October 19, 2021, 01:32:17 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 19, 2021, 10:45:26 AM

I don't think US 151 needs an interstate designation even if it was full freeway to Fond du Lac. It's mostly a connector anyway, and WisDOT hasn't really shown any keen interest in three digit interstates.

You're right about Waupun to Fond du Lac, but Columbus to Waupun is overdue to become a full freeway. Not sure why there isn't a bigger effort to implement the improvements proposed in the study above, considering all the manufacturing and distribution centers along the corridor.

Exactly.  I don't think WiDOT will attempt to designate it an interstate, but I think it will be fully interstate compatible at some point.  Although I-241 would be my choice.

The Ghostbuster

Here is the DOT's website for converting US 151 into a freeway between Columbus and Waupun: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/151/default.aspx. I doubt any conversions will be made anytime soon since the mapping process is still underway.

skluth

I'd consider an upgraded, free-flowing I-41/US 151 interchange a higher priority than US 151 becoming a full freeway. That stoplight is ridiculous. I don't care for cloverleafs, but even that would be a tolerable upgrade as long as C/D lanes are added along I-41. The three interchanges from I-41 to Hickory are one too many in that short a distance also.

I-39

Quote from: skluth on October 19, 2021, 05:55:45 PM
I'd consider an upgraded, free-flowing I-41/US 151 interchange a higher priority than US 151 becoming a full freeway. That stoplight is ridiculous. I don't care for cloverleafs, but even that would be a tolerable upgrade as long as C/D lanes are added along I-41. The three interchanges from I-41 to Hickory are one too many in that short a distance also.

Here are the rough plans for the area.

https://projects.511wi.gov/us151bypass/wp-content/uploads/sites/115/corridor.pdf

The plan is to remove the jug handle ramps at WIS 175 once the interchange with I-41 is converted to a free flow.

dvferyance

I will say this the at grade intersection at Hemlock Road near Beaver Dam should be either overpassed or culd du sacked. It's dangerous having an at grade intersection so close to an interchange. As far as teh rest of teh route goes between Columbus and Beaver Dam probably. Beaver Dam to Waupun maybe from there on I say no.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.