News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL: What the Hell?

Started by Billy F 1988, September 20, 2014, 08:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

So, um, one football player per year charged with rape is actually much lower than the general population. So shove the affected outrage.

Billy F 1988

Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on January 16, 2015, 05:20:59 PM
So, um, one football player per year charged with rape is actually much lower than the general population. So shove the affected outrage.

My outrage is at the NFL's billions making whatever hurts sales go away, whether it's one rape (one too many, and surely not just one), jackasses beating up women, a few murderers here and there, or burying report after report that says the game as it's played requires ruining brains.

What I'd suggest shoving is the dismissive attitude that comes from a lot of "reasonable people" who could really easily collectively coerce the league to hold higher standards, but don't because go blue or whatever.

tdindy88

Looks like we're headed for an (almost) I-90 endpoint Super Bowl.

Billy F 1988

So, when I see "shove the affected outrage" and I ask "where to?", do you really want it to go up my yayhoo and tickle my "lower G's"? Mmm, not really. I have a good reason to be outraged, because this does't just happen in sports, it happens in life outside of sports where we have killers, rapists, robbers, the destroyed lifestyles of many who choose the dark side of life rather than the good side of all descriptions, colors, sizes, and origins. The NFL to me has become a cess pool of this blatant oversight by the commissioner himself. But you see, that doesn't start and end there. It goes further beyond the comish's office. It is those within the administrative capacity of several sports teams who are more reactive than they are proactive. Don't ask me to give you proof of such. You can simply see this timeline of guys who are a black cloud to NFL and their fanbase. I can honestly care less who goes to the Super Bowl or who won their divisional championships. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't care about the NFL, I never have cared about the NFL, never been a big football fan to begin with, and I never will buy in to the bullshit the NFL keeps pulling under the rug because I can see what's underneath there. I'm not that stupid enough to think this isn't a big deal. It's time the NFL and their teams cut the bullshit, or we'll cut our ties with them and go somewhere else. Screw the Super Bowl. I ain't watching it anyhow.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Pete from Boston

But some of us like football, and want the NFL to give us a game we don't have to feel bad about to watch. 

I wouldn't say I "care" about the NFL, but I like it.  Shouldn't it want to keep good fans by doing the right thing?  And shouldn't most fans hold them to that? 

My point earlier was that "go blue" trumps "don't date rape even though it will likely not be reported and you will likely get away with it."  This is where the fans have to speak up.  This is where the league would do itself a favor by speaking first.

bugo

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 18, 2015, 09:58:33 PM
So, when I see "shove the affected outrage" and I ask "where to?", do you really want it to go up my yayhoo and tickle my "lower G's"? Mmm, not really. I have a good reason to be outraged, because this does't just happen in sports, it happens in life outside of sports where we have killers, rapists, robbers, the destroyed lifestyles of many who choose the dark side of life rather than the good side of all descriptions, colors, sizes, and origins. The NFL to me has become a cess pool of this blatant oversight by the commissioner himself. But you see, that doesn't start and end there. It goes further beyond the comish's office. It is those within the administrative capacity of several sports teams who are more reactive than they are proactive. Don't ask me to give you proof of such. You can simply see this timeline of guys who are a black cloud to NFL and their fanbase. I can honestly care less who goes to the Super Bowl or who won their divisional championships. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't care about the NFL, I never have cared about the NFL, never been a big football fan to begin with, and I never will buy in to the bullshit the NFL keeps pulling under the rug because I can see what's underneath there. I'm not that stupid enough to think this isn't a big deal. It's time the NFL and their teams cut the bullshit, or we'll cut our ties with them and go somewhere else. Screw the Super Bowl. I ain't watching it anyhow.

tl;dr

Alps

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 18, 2015, 09:58:33 PMI don't care about the NFL, I never have cared about the NFL, never been a big football fan to begin with.... It's time the NFL and their teams cut the bullshit, or we'll cut our ties with them and go somewhere else. Screw the Super Bowl. I ain't watching it anyhow.
You're a lost cause, so why should they listen to anything you say? I sure won't.

Billy F 1988

Whatever. Lock the fucking thread then.

Pete from Boston

You say "we'll cut our ties with [the NFL]," but also go on at length about your total lack of connection to them.  He's not the only one this doesn't make sense to.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 19, 2015, 08:29:33 AM
You say "we'll cut our ties with [the NFL]," but also go on at length about your total lack of connection to them.  He's not the only one this doesn't make sense to.

That's moot.

Pete from Boston

Billy F 1988

You're welcome.

(thus the birth of the NFL heretic, yours truly)

ET21

Thought I resurrect this with Deflategate in court and the fact we're now in the preseason  :nod:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

triplemultiplex

How about Jets QB Geno Smith getting his face rearranged by a (now ex) teammate?
You'd think the Jets would get tired of being the league's punchline.

When Brady looses his stupid court thing, he should have to miss more games as punishment for wasting everyone's time and being such a lying douche. :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Billy F 1988

You know, I followed both subjects on and off now that you guys mentioned it. I mean, c'mon. Can't the NFL just put Deflategate to bed already?

In regards to Geno, some of you may say "well, he had that one coming; he got what he deserved for being an asswipe of the Jets" and that very well may be the case, but I still don't agree to Geno being punched in the face regardless if he had it coming to him or not. I find that really over the top, plus, to add insult to injury, the ex-Jet teammate is now a Buffalo Bill player!

Tom Brady, however? He knows where he can kiss it. I just like to pretend he's just another blur in the picture.

US71

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 15, 2015, 09:07:20 PM
Oh my fucking God! What is the malfunction of these fucktards in the NFL?! Holy crap man!

Nice to see you again.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on January 15, 2015, 09:07:20 PM
Oh my fucking God! What is the malfunction of these fucktards in the NFL?! Holy crap man!

Just a spur the moment deal that went totally nowhere...and fast. Yes, it is my own criticism of this very quote. Hey, that's what happens when you get all peeved and sometimes you just want to air it out in some way. But I guess with a quote like that, it doesn't belong here. Not really a mature statement I made on my part. Now that the upcoming football season is upon us all, moments like that quote are ones I'd rather forget about and not ever bring up again.

Zeffy

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on August 19, 2015, 11:27:28 PM
But I guess with a quote like that, it doesn't belong here. Not really a mature statement I made on my part.

Oh don't worry, sometimes we just need to vent our anger and frustration out somewhere...I'm pretty guilty of that recently too. The reasons are different, but still.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

I-39

N.F.L = National Felon League

And yet, America continues to obsess over it. The NFL is becoming disturbingly cult-like (as evidenced that a pre-season game got higher ratings than the championship games of the NBA, NHL and MLB).

ET21

Quote from: I-39 on August 20, 2015, 08:29:21 PM

Too bad Florida State is NCAA, they'd fit right in  :-D :-D :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US71

And yet, America continues to obsess over it. The NFL is becoming disturbingly cult-like (as evidenced that a pre-season game got higher ratings than the championship games of the NBA, NHL and MLB).

Athletes are often treated like gods.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

oscar

How do you tell the difference between "cult-like" following, and simply being much more popular than competing professional sports (not counting college football, which is also doing well even though beset by its own issues)?

ISTM the better question is not why the NFL is successful despite its problems, but rather why other professional sports in the U.S. are less successful.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Billy F 1988

Quote from: oscar on August 21, 2015, 02:48:26 PM

How do you tell the difference between "cult-like" following, and simply being much more popular than competing professional sports (not counting college football, which is also doing well even though beset by its own issues)?

ISTM the better question is not why the NFL is successful despite its problems, but rather why other professional sports in the U.S. are less successful.

I think it may be due to what people are inclined to follow. American football seems like to me has been off the charts lately in popularity. It gets talked about the most on radio, TV, print and Internet, the sports outlets like ABC, ESPN, FOX and so forth have so much access to this sport. I really don't understand this huge following the majority of people in the U.S. have of the NFL, and as far as to saying it's successful than other sports is something I can't say I disagree or agree to because I need to see for myself how, say, MLB is successful, or how NBA is, NASCAR, you name it. I can't seem to subscribe to the notion that the NFL is on top of everyone else.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.