10 (37%)
School bus
9 (33.3%)
A truck with a trailer hauling something
8 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

US 89

Quote from: Bickendan on January 28, 2022, 09:45:43 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned USPS mailtrucks.

Why? They might be annoying for a minute or so, but it's pretty easy to pass them since they pull over and stop frequently to deliver mail.

jakeroot

Mail trucks, trash trucks, and buses pretty much have an automatic response from me, assuming they are pulled over or are pulling over: overtake immediately if safe.

Ned Weasel

Any vehicle whose driver is playing on a phone.  It becomes obvious when a light turns green.

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 23, 2022, 11:28:37 AM
Any left-lane cruising idiot.  Even if you're going 30 over, don't travel in the passing lane. 

You're not stuck behind them if the right lane is wide open, leaving plenty of room for you to pass them.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

thspfc

Any left-lane cruising idiot.  Even if you're going 30 over, don't travel in the passing lane.
Somebody who is going 30 over is going to be passing everyone else, and therefore it's safer for them to be in the passing lane for long periods of time than it is for them to weave in and out of slower traffic.

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

sprjus4

Quote from: thspfc on January 31, 2022, 12:22:55 PM
Somebody who is going 30 over is going to be passing everyone else, and therefore it's safer for them to be in the passing lane for long periods of time than it is for them to weave in and out of slower traffic.
In that instance, I'd say it depends. If you're obviously going faster than the other traffic, and there is no one actively being held up by you, you may opt to stay.

However, if someone is riding closely wanting to pass, it's courteous to jump back to the right, let them go by, then get back in the left to continue passing long lines of slower vehicles.

allniter89

1/11-12/2022 I drove home (Crestview, FL) from Paducah. The traffic on I-24 tween Paducah & Smashville was so heavy if I got out of the left lane to let an odd car pass (the traffic in the left lane was bumper to ditto @ 85mph so there weren't many leaving the left lane). The few times I did step to the right to let one by the inconsiderate sobs :banghead: wouldn't even leave me room to get back in the left lane even tho we'd been running 2gether for miles & miles. :confused: :no:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

sprjus4

Quote from: allniter89 on February 01, 2022, 12:43:51 AM
1/11-12/2022 I drove home (Crestview, FL) from Paducah. The traffic on I-24 tween Paducah & Smashville was so heavy if I got out of the left lane to let an odd car pass (the traffic in the left lane was bumper to ditto @ 85mph so there weren't many leaving the left lane). The few times I did step to the right to let one by the inconsiderate sobs :banghead: wouldn't even leave me room to get back in the left lane even tho we'd been running 2gether for miles & miles. :confused: :no:
In that instance, if the left lane is a continuous flow that I'm maintaining the speed of the car in front of me, and there's clearly no passing opportunities, it's pointless to leave the left lane.

I try to stick by keep right except to pass, though there's many instances where it's not reasonable to leave the left lane.

Best rule of thumb, try to maintain the flow of traffic in the left lane regardless of speed limit. Slowing down and impeding the flow is going to cause more issues than help, even if "legal". Yes, you are legally correct, but in reality, it's not helping. Move over when you can.

HighwayStar

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 01, 2022, 12:56:03 AM
In that instance, if the left lane is a continuous flow that I'm maintaining the speed of the car in front of me, and there's clearly no passing opportunities, it's pointless to leave the left lane.

I try to stick by keep right except to pass, though there's many instances where it's not reasonable to leave the left lane.

Best rule of thumb, try to maintain the flow of traffic in the left lane regardless of speed limit. Slowing down and impeding the flow is going to cause more issues than help, even if "legal". Yes, you are legally correct, but in reality, it's not helping. Move over when you can.

That is not how the US works. If you are already going faster than the speed limit there is nothing wrong with being in the left lane. Its different in Germany on the Autobahn where keep right is strictly enforced because there is no speed limit. But in the US where there are always speed limits you are doing a favor by keeping your boring Town Car in the left lane at 5-10 over if it prevents some pothead in a tricked out Jetta from doing 110.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

US 89

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 01, 2022, 11:42:18 AM
But in the US where there are always speed limits you are doing a favor by keeping your boring Town Car in the left lane at 5-10 over if it prevents some pothead in a tricked out Jetta from doing 110.

No, you're not doing anyone a favor. You're impeding traffic.

vdeane

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 01, 2022, 12:56:03 AM

That is not how the US works. If you are already going faster than the speed limit there is nothing wrong with being in the left lane. Its different in Germany on the Autobahn where keep right is strictly enforced because there is no speed limit. But in the US where there are always speed limits you are doing a favor by keeping your boring Town Car in the left lane at 5-10 over if it prevents some pothead in a tricked out Jetta from doing 110.
Who made you a traffic cop?  Let the police enforce speed limits and everyone else drive.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

HighwayStar

Quote from: US 89 on February 01, 2022, 12:10:29 PM
But in the US where there are always speed limits you are doing a favor by keeping your boring Town Car in the left lane at 5-10 over if it prevents some pothead in a tricked out Jetta from doing 110.

No one is being impeded except someone that is driving recklessly to start with. That is not a problem. Everyone else on the road is better off without that guy diving in and out of traffic at 40-50 over the limit.

hotdogPi

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 01, 2022, 12:58:29 PM

No one is being impeded except someone that is driving recklessly to start with. That is not a problem. Everyone else on the road is better off without that guy diving in and out of traffic at 40-50 over the limit.

If you're in the left lane, it causes those people to weave more, not less. If the left lane is clear, they won't need to weave as much.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

HighwayStar

Quote from: 1 on February 01, 2022, 01:08:03 PM

If you're in the left lane, it causes those people to weave more, not less. If the left lane is clear, they won't need to weave as much.

If the road is fairly open, yes.
But typically when I find myself in this position the other two lanes are plugged with semis, etc. and they have to just sit there and do the speed limit like the rest of us.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 01, 2022, 01:21:02 PM

But typically when I find myself in this position the other two lanes are plugged with semis, etc. and they have to just sit there and do the speed limit like the rest of us.

I thought you were going 5 - 10 over the speed limit.

HighwayStar

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 01, 2022, 01:31:19 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on February 01, 2022, 01:21:02 PM

I thought you were going 5 - 10 over the speed limit.

Yes, 5-10 so that even if the speedometer is off a bit no one is being forced to go less, and also so I can pass trucks and sit in that optimally safe part of the speed curve.

sprjus4

And if someone is riding closely wishing to pass, you should move over as soon as it's safely possible and let them go.

Simple.

HighwayStar

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 01, 2022, 01:47:41 PM
And if someone is riding closely wishing to pass, you should move over as soon as it's safely possible and let them go.

Simple.

Why? So I can get stuck between two other vehicles and have to change lanes again to get back to where I was only for them to go 30,40, or 50 over the speed limit and weave in and out of traffic as they recklessly endanger the rest of us?

US 89

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 01, 2022, 01:48:55 PM

Simple.

Why? So I can get stuck between two other vehicles and have to change lanes again to get back to where I was only for them to go 30,40, or 50 over the speed limit and weave in and out of traffic as they recklessly endanger the rest of us?

Ever hear of road rage?

HighwayStar

Quote from: US 89 on February 01, 2022, 01:54:17 PM

Simple.

Ever hear of road rage?

I'm not angry, I just coast along to the sound of the music.

vdeane

Simple.

If they're really going that far over, how do you "get stuck"?

I just drive in the right lane unless I need to pass someone, in which case I move over and then move back when I'm done passing.  Simple.  And when that person mentioned road rage, they were referring to the person stuck behind you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: vdeane on February 01, 2022, 02:06:06 PM

Simple.

I just drive in the right lane unless I need to pass someone, in which case I move over and then move back when I'm done passing.  Simple.  And when that person mentioned road rage, they were referring to the person stuck behind you.

And the road rage is so much worse if they're in an SUV on the way to Baltimore on I-70.

HighwayStar

Simple.

Example. I am doing 70, the semis in center and right lane are doing 65. The irresponsible guy behind me wants to do 100. He passes, the guy behind him is doing 70 like me, and now I have to try and get back in that lane with him, and everyone behind him, in that lane.

And if that guy is enraged, that is his problem, no sweat off my back.

Rothman

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 01, 2022, 02:17:15 PM

Simple.

Example. I am doing 70, the semis in center and right lane are doing 65. The irresponsible guy behind me wants to do 100. He passes, the guy behind him is doing 70 like me, and now I have to try and get back in that lane with him, and everyone behind him, in that lane.

And if that guy is enraged, that is his problem, no sweat off my back.
That's a pretty specific, benign example.  Of course slower cars are going to pass even slower trucks.

I don't think that's exactly how this conversation started, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

HighwayStar

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 01, 2022, 02:09:57 PM

Simple.

And the road rage is so much worse if they're in an SUV on the way to Baltimore on I-70.

That can only happen in the Twilight Zone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.