News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

National bicycle routes

Started by Alps, May 31, 2019, 10:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/us-bicycle-route-system/national-corridor-plan/

I'm just enjoying the crap out of this map right now. It feels like the early days of the US highway system. What are your thoughts? Where would you want to insert routes? What numbers (like 76) jump out at you?

Rothman

I am still stupefied that 76 heads down KY 122 in Floyd County.  I suppose it is routed to help people feel the thrill of risking their lives.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

Does USBR 35 really cross on the Macinac Bridge and 20 and 30 to use ferries to cross Lake Michigan?

hotdogPi

There are bicycle routes in the middle of Nevada. Does FritzOwl have a job creating these routes?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

USBR 1 was a lot of fun to run along when it started getting built up in the Florida Keys.  Personally I'd think it would be the trip of a life time to bike USBR 66 and follow much of US 66 through country a good 50-80 miles a day.

GaryV

Quote from: Big John on May 31, 2019, 11:10:04 PM
Does USBR 35 really cross on the Macinac Bridge ...
The Bridge Authority will transport your bicycles at a cost of $5.00 each (2016 posting).  I don't know if that includes the bike rider.

SectorZ

The best part of these is how it's supposed to cater to long-distance road cyclists yet significant parts of, well, 1 at least, have significant unpaved stretches (off-road). Also damn near every off-road trail is not maintained in the winter, but schmucks walk and ride on them, matting the snow down into a sheet of ice that stays around a lot longer than normal snowpack. So, yeah, another great idea that's executed somewhat imperfectly.

thspfc

Very cool. I would love to take a long biking trip sometime, especially on a long-distance designated route such as these.

hotdogPi

Even though these are modeled after US routes, I would suggest adding some urban/suburban routes with already existing bike trails. For example, the very popular trail from Cambridge MA to Bedford MA, with an extension to Concord (the two trails almost connect), could be 101, or 130 if there was a way to extend it northwest. Lawrence MA to the airport in Manchester/Londonderry NH (there are also a few short gaps in this route) could be 201.

Unrelated, there is a major power line with cleared ROW from Woburn MA to Monroe NH (about 150 miles). Could there be a bike path here without disturbing the power line?

froggie

NE2

Quote from: Big John on May 31, 2019, 11:10:04 PM
Does USBR 35 really cross on the Macinac Bridge and 20 and 30 to use ferries to cross Lake Michigan?
USBR 35 uses the Mackinawck Island ferries.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on May 31, 2019, 10:45:05 PM
I am still stupefied that 76 heads down KY 122 in Floyd County.  I suppose it is routed to help people feel the thrill of risking their lives.

I think the idea is to keep the bikes off heavily-traveled or high-speed routes. They have to use a small portion of US 23 in Pike County, but the rest of the route in the eastern part of the state is mostly off the beaten path. I've driven all of it from the Virginia line west to somewhere west of Richmond/Berea, and portions elsewhere in the state. I'm not a cyclist, but I would enjoy driving the entire route. Kentucky finally signed it in its entirety a couple of years ago.

Quote from: Alps on May 31, 2019, 10:42:44 PM
https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/us-bicycle-route-system/national-corridor-plan/

I'm just enjoying the crap out of this map right now. It feels like the early days of the US highway system. What are your thoughts? Where would you want to insert routes? What numbers (like 76) jump out at you?

I'm old enough to remember when the first two (1 and 76) were established, for the 1976 national bicentennial. The routing of 76 has changed in Kentucky and there are a few places where the old-style signs are still posted. Not sure if I have a picture anywhere or not, but I'll try to remember to take one next time I come across one of them. There used to be one posted at Vincent, Ky., at the intersection of old KY 30 and KY 399.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

D-Dey65

It's safe to say I will never clinch a single route on this map. But I still agree with Steve about how fascinating it is. The use of USBR 15 on the west coast of Florida is interesting because it doesn't correspond with any existing car-related routes on the west coast of the state, compared to USBR 1. Personally, I don't mind, because I can already see that it corresponds with US 15 in New York, Pennsylvania, and Maryland, so I get it.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on June 01, 2019, 09:35:46 AM
Unrelated, there is a major power line with cleared ROW from Woburn MA to Monroe NH (about 150 miles). Could there be a bike path here without disturbing the power line?

Those all start in my town of Tewksbury at Tewksbury Station. One goes north to Monroe NH as you stated, one southwest along 495 to Medway, one south to Woburn, and one east to Salem. All high tension, especially the one down to Medway. They primarily go over private property easements, so it would be pretty unlikely to build a public trail along them. The one that goes to Monroe also goes up the sides of mountains at 25-75% grades in places. I love the idea, it just wouldn't be possible.

That being said, there are dirtbike/ATV trails along them. The Tewksbury-Woburn one has extensive use in Billerica and Burlington. I even used to ride my mt. bike down to the closest one near my house to the Concord River as a teen.

inkyatari

I'll be lucky to clinch the GIT (Grand Illinois Trail) let alone any of these routes.

Official Illinois State road maps have made a big deal of Bicycle Route 76, for as long as I can recall.  I hope they do the same for the other routes as they become more official.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

mgk920

I'm a bit surprised that there isn't one laid out on that map that follows I-70's pathways westward out of Denver.

I've also played around a bit off and on over the past few years with a Wisconsin 'state' version of that.  There are oodles of state and local trails and low-volume local through roads that would be ideal for them as part of a cohesive numbered state system.  Mark them with a small sized color-reversed version of the classic Wisconsin state highway route marker shield, with a bicycle image at its top?

:nod:

Mike

inkyatari

Are any of these routes signed?  I'm looking at streetview on Rt. 76 through illinois, and aside from the occasional "Bike Route" sign, I don't see anything with the route number.

I do recall seeing the US 66 route signed through Pontiac, IL when I rode it last summer, but I the sign was more for the Illinois route designation, and not the proposed national designation.  https://goo.gl/maps/ZCCNirKfpTJa7RrL8
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

hotdogPi

Quote from: inkyatari on June 05, 2019, 09:30:50 AM
Are any of these routes signed?  I'm looking at streetview on Rt. 76 through illinois, and aside from the occasional "Bike Route" sign, I don't see anything with the route number.

I do recall seeing the US 66 route signed through Pontiac, IL when I rode it last summer, but I the sign was more for the Illinois route designation, and not the proposed national designation.  https://goo.gl/maps/ZCCNirKfpTJa7RrL8

1 is signed in some places.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

GaryV

I've seen signs in the UP and northern LP for USBR 35.

froggie

USBR 1 signs exist in some of the states it's been officially platted in, including Maine and Virginia.

USBR 76 is signed in Virginia.

USBR 45 in Minnesota is signed as the MRT (Mississippi River Trail).  They're essentially one-and-the-same.

In addition to USBR 35 mentioned above, I've seen photos of signs for USBR 20 in Michigan.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.