Road Trips You Want To Go On At Least Once In Your Life

Started by US 41, September 08, 2014, 04:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: US 41 on September 09, 2014, 09:59:07 AMI'd rather chance it through Russia, than through Iran and Pakistan. Isis is also in the area and they are beheading captured Americans.
1)who mentioned Pakistan? I certainly didn't. I was explicit in my reference to ex-Soviet -stans.
2)Isis being 'in the area' is like saying that you won't go to southern Texas or California as Mexican drug lords are in the area. Sure, ISIS are the biggest threat to world peace at the moment*, but they are a good way from the area in question with NATO and the Iranian Republican Guard stopping them crossing the border (plus the mountains and the lack of strategic objectives heading north compared to heading south).
3)Russia really hates EU nationals currently - sure they won't kill you, but they will be less friendly than the Iranians and probably won't let you in the country in the first place if your purpose was merely to get to China.
4)We're talking about a Spaniard, not an American, so US-Iran relationships (plus you'll be increasingly best buds as you team up, with Russia maybe, to take out ISIS) don't matter much.

*and the reason the two American hostages (who went out of their way to risk their lives for a story) have been front and centre is the media's way of dragging the xenophobic Americans attention to the war there: 10s of thousands of Iraqi/Kurdish/Syrian Christians, Shiite Muslims, etc slaughtered means nothing. The Yazidhi as they are rare and PC got enough press to get Americans behind an aid relief effort by the US military, but you need killing American captives to get the public behind what needs to be done - going back into Iraq to contain these monsters as part of the 'you break it, you own it' promise behind starting the Iraq war (and being a responsible superpower).

agentsteel53

Quote from: english si on September 09, 2014, 11:02:13 AMThe Yazidhi as they are rare and PC

also: to the approximation that the unaware and uneducated are willing to make - they are white.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

on_wisconsin

Most road trips I fantasize about going on are in Europe:
*Paris to Warsaw via Frankfurt am Main and Berlin
*Dover to Glasgow via London, Birmingham, Manchester, and Newcastle
*Madrid to Turin via Monte Carlo
*Vilnius to Amsterdam
*Prague to Rome via Vienna and Venice

Two US ones:
*I-95 from D.C. to Boston via The Garden State Parkway
*New Orleans to Charleston via Birmingham and Atlanta (Never spent much time in the south...)

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

1995hoo

Quote from: english si on September 09, 2014, 11:02:13 AM

3)Russia really hates EU nationals currently - sure they won't kill you, but they will be less friendly than the Iranians and probably won't let you in the country in the first place if your purpose was merely to get to China.

The Russian visa regime is pretty complicated. You can't just drive up to the border and expect them to let you through. You're also subject to hefty penalties (including not being allowed to leave the country) if you overstay beyond your visa's expiry. I remember looking into the visa process when we visited St. Petersburg and ultimately deciding it was too much trouble because we were there on a cruise and could enter the country without a visa as long as we went on one of the cruise line's shore excursions and remained with the tour guide at all times (aside from obvious things like using the restroom and the like).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bandit957

Anywhere!

But it's just not realistic. That's what Google Street View is for.

One of my goals is to visit international waters, but there's no roads there. One place I'd like to go on a road trip is Cuba.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

vdeane

Note: items don't have to be in the same trip even if listed in the same bullet.

Hope to do in the next few years:
-NYC/Long Island
-Ontario/Quebec trip covering ON 401 between Toronto and Kingston (and nearby King's Highways), ON 15, ON 34, A-50, and A-5
-Clinch the New England interstates

Longer term:
-Cross-country US (visit every state in the lower 48 at least once)
-New Brunswick/Nova Scotia/PEI
-Newfoundland/Labrador/St. Pierre et Miquen
-Possibly clinch Quebec's autoroutes
-Clinch NY's touring routes
-Clinch everything in DC

Longer term still:
-Cross-country Canada
-Alaska

Interested in but may never happen (in large part because I don't like flying, if applicable):
-Northwest Territories/Nunavut
-Hawaii/Puerto Rico
-Mexico
-New Zealand
-Italy
-Russia (including Siberia)
-Clinch VT's touring routes
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

My list, in no particular order...

US 60, end to end.
US 23, end to end.
Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive.
Both sides of the Great River Road.
US 62, end to end.
Straight-line drive from the midwest to the Atlantic Ocean or Chesapeake Bay through the Appalachian Mountains. (Probably OH 32/US 50 from Cincinnati to Annapolis unless someone could suggest a better route).
US 6, end to end.
I-70 from Denver west.
Moki Dugway.
US 1, end to end.

Finish up what I lack of US 11 (need most of New York, Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi; I already have it clinched in LA, GA, VA, WV, MD and PA).
Finish up US 52 (need North Dakota, Minnesota, most of Iowa, most of both Carolinas).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

02 Park Ave

From Baie Comeau in Quebec to Goose Bay in Labrador.
C-o-H

CtrlAltDel

My current road trip goal is to travel through all 48 of the contiguous United States. So far, I have 30. The ones I have missing are in the northwest and southeast. And I hope to take one road trip per year for the next two years to get them. We'll see if I can swing that.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

AsphaltPlanet

The only trip that I am really thinking of right now, involve the Pacific Northwest.  I'd really like to finish the Pacific Coat up from San Francisco through Oregon.  In particular, Oregon has some pretty funky bridges that I'd like to see along US-101.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on September 09, 2014, 01:56:08 PM
Straight-line drive from the midwest to the Atlantic Ocean or Chesapeake Bay through the Appalachian Mountains. (Probably OH 32/US 50 from Cincinnati to Annapolis unless someone could suggest a better route).

To add to this thought...

I've driven all of Corridor D, and have also driven all of US 50 from the Kansas/Missouri line to just shy of Winchester, Va. So this would not be new territory for me at all.

What I would like to do is start out at a point west of the Appalachians and drive east along as straight a route as possible, staying on the same road if it could be practically done, through the foothills, the mountains, then the foothills again and then to the coastal area -- preferably all in one day during daylight hours.

I've driven I-64 from Frankfort, Ky. to Staunton, Va. in one fell swoop (which almost got me out of the mountains) but it's hardly a straight drive. I've also done I-64 from Morehead, Ky. (already in the mountains) to the US 15 exit in Virginia, but again, it's not straight.

US 50 from some point between Cincinnati and Chillicothe east to D.C. or Annapolis seems to me to be the best candidate for this excursion, but I'm sure there are other options too.

Perhaps US 6 from somewhere near the Ohio/Pennsylvania line to somewhere in Connecticut or Rhode Island?

Or maybe US 64 from somewhere in middle Tennessee to the Raleigh area?

US 33's NW-SE jaunt in Ohio disqualifies it; if there was a good E-W route that one could follow from some point in the middle of the state to Pomeroy, that combination might work.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 09, 2014, 03:45:19 PM
From Baie Comeau in Quebec to Goose Bay in Labrador.

Via QC 389 to Labrador City?  Or are you planning to wait for QC 138 to be completed (a wait that might take a good chunk of your lifetime)?  Or both, to do the full Trans-Labrador Highway loop past Goose Bay to Blanc Sablon?

Worth it, either way.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Pete from Boston

Ok, having given it more thought, and partly nudged by hbelkins's last post, I would like to drive in a generally west-southwest direction, off-interstate, as far as possible... with no map.

I would bring my phone, of course, but try not to consult it. Really, the joy for me in exploring is in reading the roads and the towns and the landscape fir their clues.  My favorite parts of my favorite road trips have been like this, letting the brain get some exercise.

I think going too far into rural Québec–my other recent fixation–like this would be a little scary, given my scant French though scary might be fun.

wphiii

Quote from: hbelkins on September 09, 2014, 09:04:24 PM
US 33's NW-SE jaunt in Ohio disqualifies it; if there was a good E-W route that one could follow from some point in the middle of the state to Pomeroy, that combination might work.

Honestly, I think 33 would be the way to go. In the big picture, its course is really more NW/SE, but to me, that's okay because the Appalachians are roughly oriented NE/SW anyway, so you're still cutting across them transversely. Plus, starting in, say, Columbus, you really get the feeling of coming out of the totally flat plains, into the rolling southern Ohio hills, then the more defined hills of the Appalachian Plateau in WV, then dropping down the Allegheny Front into the Ridge and Valley before cutting across the Blue Ridge formation into the piedmont and then on to Richmond, which is where the fall line actually is in the James River between the piedmont and the coastal plain. You hit all the physiographic regions of the Appalachians on one numbered route, which to me makes it okay to cheat a little bit in that route not necessarily running perfectly W-E the whole way.

If the east-west thing is still a big hangup, U.S. 50 would be your best bet I think, starting roughly in Hillsboro, OH.

rschen7754

San Diego to Phoenix, as that's probably the closest part of the Interstate Highway system I haven't been on.

At some point I want to go across the country...

wphiii

Anyway, as for my own list, it's pretty simple: anywhere to anywhere, as long as it's two lanes. Really, I'd just spend my life rambling, if I could afford to.

But I do have a few ideas of some more concrete itineraries that I'd like to do, first some things that I could probably take care of with just a weekend trip here or there:
* Philadelphia to Erie, roughly following the route of the original U.S. 120.
* OH 3, approximately the original Three-C road, still mostly two-lane Midwestern goodness.
* The full NY 28 loop, Hudson Valley through the Catskills, Cooperstown, Adirondacks.
* MA 2 (2A where applicable) across Massachusetts.

Then there are some grander, longer-term aspirations:
* U.S. 11
* U.S. 20
* U.S. 50
* U.S. 60
* U.S. 191
* The SR 200 chain from the Minnesota northwoods to Sandpoint, ID.
* Want to run the Ohio River roads, north bank going out, south bank coming back.
* There are a few places I wouldn't mind just roaming around for a week or so, such as Michigan, which is still pretty much a big blank spot on my personal map. Washington state is another. And I can always get immersed in New Mexico.
* Really want to do a loop around Nova Scotia some day.
* BC 3, the Crowsnest Hwy, looks like a lot of fun

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

JMoses24

From Cincinnati, I would go to:

1) St Louis > west end of I-70 to clinch MOST of that road > Salt Lake City > Chicago area > Louisville (getting I-65 in Indiana). All that would be needed for a full I-70 clinch is from I-79 in Washington, PA east to the PA Turnpike; from the Turnpike to I-68, and from I-270 in Frederick to the east terminus, and those would be grabbed before then.
2) St Louis > Oklahoma City (via I-44, almost clinching it) > Los Angeles (via I-40/15) > Dallas (via I-10/20) > OKC (possibly using the rest of I-44?) > Knoxville (clinching I-40 west of the Appalachians)
3) the UP of Michigan (clinch of I-75 in MI/OH)
4) Miami > Charleston, SC (clinch I-75 south of Florida's I-275 [and, thus in combination with #3, in totality], I-95 in Florida, and I-26) > Wilmington, NC (getting me I-95 in South Carolina) > Knoxville (clinch of I-40, if combined with #2, that gets a full clinch).
5) Similar to #4, but instead of west on I-40 I backtrack to I-95, run up I-95 all the way to Canada thus clinching it entirely. Then cross Maine and NH, south on I-93 to 90 (clinching THAT), west on I-90 and clinch the little bit I have left in MA and NY. Then back home via 90 to 71.

roadman65

The entire western US 2 from St. Ignace to Everett.
The entire I-10 across Texas.
Las Vegas to San Francisco for sure. 
Clinch all of I-81 as south of Harrisburg to Front Royal, and from Roanoke to its terminus as I have yet done those.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Jim

I'm fortunate to have done many of the US and Canada trips on some of the lists posted so far, but there are plenty left.  Here are some of mine, most of which aren't happening any time soon.

In the US and Canada:

- a month or so during summer or early fall driving to the national parks in the western US, aiming mainly for ones I'm missing with return visits to some favorites
- an entire winter spent driving throughout the western US and Canada, doing a whole lot of skiing and seeing some of those national parks during the winter season
- return visit to northwestern Canada and Alaska, this time via some routes I missed on my first trip, ideally with a side trip to Yellowknife
- a big loop through Labrador, ferry to Newfoundland, ferry to Nova Scotia, side trip to PEI, up through New Brunswick to the Gaspe crossing back into the US at Fort Kent
- more of US 101
- a trip around the north side of Lake Huron and Lake Superior
- drive as far as one can on the Mississippi delta
- Rio Grande valley and coastal southern Texas
- ultimately, anywhere I haven't been via roads I haven't traveled, which I think summarizes it for many of us

Europe:

- My travels to date have been fairly limited, so nearly anything would be interesting, but a driving tour visiting major cities and other points of interest throughout western Europe would be excellent.

Outside of that, I'm much less adventurous than many here.  I think I'd want to be traveling with a native or at least a speaker of the local languages in most of Latin America, Eastern Europe, Asia, and Africa.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Jbte

Anywhere in North America west coast (Canada, US, Mexico)
-Calgary to Fairbanks
-North of San Francisco to Seattle, using US101
-I-70 west of Denver to Las Vegas or Salt Lake
-Santa Fe, NM to Grand Junction, CO (Using the 5 million dollar hwy between Durango-Silverton, CO)
-Independence Pass in Colorado (Aspen, CO to Colorado Springs)
-Calgary-Vancouver (Banff National Park)
-Flagstaff-Phoenix (by Sedona, not I-17)
-Flagstaff, AZ to Moab, UT (Grand Canyon, Monument valley, Canyonlands, and Archers)
-Denver, CO to San Francisco, CA (by Yosemite National Park)
-All I-10 from Santa Monica CA to Jacksonville, FL, then Jacksonville to Miami, FL then Keywest.
-Fort Stockton, TX to Big Bend, then Presidio/Ojinaga to Chihuahua.
-San Diego to Calexico (I-8)

Mexico:
-Mexicali to Tijuana (Rumorosa scenic highway, similar to I-8)
-All 1 down to Los Cabos in Baja
-Chihuahua-Hermorsillo Mexico (scenic forests)
-Chihuahua-Batopilas-Los Mochis (Chepe train)
-Durango-Mazatlán (new highwaw, with 61 tunnels and 120 bridges)
-Durango-Tepic (scenic road between mountains)
-Mexico City-Tuxpan Ver (new highway with 6 tunnels and 100 bridges with one of the tallest nation wide)
-Mexico City-Zihuatanejo (by Toluca)
-Mexico City-Veracruz (by Puebla)
-Mexico City-Acapulco (scenic highway)
-Tampico-Veracruz (gulf coast scenic highway)
-Toluca-Cuernavaca (Zempoala Lagoons)
-Guadalajara-Manzanillo
-Pachuca-Tampico
-Oaxaca-Huatulco
-Tuxtla Guiterres Palenque
-Monterrey-Saltillo
almost every road in Mexico sierra madre its scenic... (desert, forest and jungle... sometimes snow in winter)

Someday I hope I can make a huge road trip from Mexico to Tierra de Fuego (all by spanish speaking countries)
Central america (basically to Panama City):
From Tapachula, Mexico to Guatemala
Guatemala-El Salvador
EL Salvador-Managua
Managua-Panama City

South America (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru Chile and Argentina)
All way south to Tierra de Fuego (south point of the continent in Argentina)

Colombia:
Barranquilla, Colombia to Medellín
Bogotá to Medellín

Peru:
Lima Peru to Cuzco
Cuzco to Puno
Puno to Arequipa

Chile and Argentina:
All chilean highway 5 south to Valparaiso
Valparaíso-Santiago
Santiago-Mendoza (scenic highway at Andes, there's a long tunnel of 2 miles crossing the Andes.)
Then Zapala going to South and jump again the Andes to Chile to Puerto Montt
Puerto Montt cross again to Argentina, then south to Punta Arenas, then Tierra de Fuego and finally Bariloche.

For now... I'm not interested in traveling in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. Just America (continent).

Laura

In no particular order:

Local:
Corridor H
US 6 in Pennsylvania
US 11 in Virginia

East Coast states:
The entirety of Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway
Clinch US 1
Burlington, VT
White Mountains of NH

National:
Fly into Las Vegas and drive around Arizona
US 101 in California
Drive all the way across the county - I would like to do a more southern route
Drive all of US 66
Drive all of I-70
UP of Michigan

I want to visit every state at least once. The 16 that I have yet to visit are AK, HI, WA, OR, ID, MT, ND, NV, UT, CO, NM, OK, TX, AR, LA, MS.

I'm happy to go anywhere in the US and see new roads and new places, even if they aren't places I'd initially consider that I must do before I die.

International:
Drive around the UK and Ireland

iPhone

adventurernumber1

Some possible road trips I'd absolutely love to go on:

(all starting in Dalton, GA, where I reside)

- Dalton to Roanoke, VA (using back roads through the Appalachians) to Washington D.C to Baltimore to Philadelphia to NYC to Boston (now going west) to Niagara Falls, NY to Erie, PA, to Pittsburgh to Charleston, WV to Lexington to Knoxville to Dalton.

- Dalton to Birmingham to D/FW to El Paso to Denver to Salt Lake City to Reno to San Francisco to L.A. to San Diego to Phoenix to Tucson to Houston to New Orleans to Dalton.

- Dalton to Miami to Key West and back to Miami to St. Petersburg (trying out The Sunshine Skyway {I-275}) to Tampa to Dalton.

- Dalton to Nashville to Memphis to St. Louis to Chicago to Milwaukee to the upper peninsula of Michigan then down to Detroit to Cincinnati to Dalton. 

- many more.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

KG909

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 15, 2014, 11:32:41 PM
Some possible road trips I'd absolutely love to go on:

(all starting in Dalton, GA, where I reside)

- Dalton to Roanoke, VA (using back roads through the Appalachians) to Washington D.C to Baltimore to Philadelphia to NYC to Boston (now going west) to Niagara Falls, NY to Erie, PA, to Pittsburgh to Charleston, WV to Lexington to Knoxville to Dalton.

- Dalton to Birmingham to D/FW to El Paso to Denver to Salt Lake City to Reno to San Francisco to L.A. to San Diego to Phoenix to Tucson to Houston to New Orleans to Dalton.

- Dalton to Miami to Key West and back to Miami to St. Petersburg (trying out The Sunshine Skyway {I-275}) to Tampa to Dalton.

- Dalton to Nashville to Memphis to St. Louis to Chicago to Milwaukee to the upper peninsula of Michigan then down to Detroit to Cincinnati to Dalton. 

- many more.
That second one has a bunch of great places, I'm going to 5 of them.
~Fuccboi

renegade

US 250, end-to-end.
The Kentucky parkways.  All of them.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.