News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

It's Trenton. He gets a B+ for atleast crossing at an intersection.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 25, 2016, 06:03:46 PM

At least he is along the STOP bar. But given that it's Trenton, yeah, it would be great if this was the only kind of thing you see daily.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

pumpkineater2

I found a pretty bad looking crash on I-8 in California. It appears that the google car drove by while the victims were being pulled out of the car. I don't see any other cars that look like they were involved, and I think the car probably rolled many times. Interesting.
https://goo.gl/maps/2Q4vjb7xMrL2
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 16, 2015, 03:11:20 PM
One wouldn't expect an ad like this one that was there in January 2014 and was moved to another billboard down the street soon afterwards. It says "I'm Idaira, I'm 19 months old and I'm dying". Not to mention the little girl, who is currently 3 years old and suffers from spinal muscular atrophy, is still alive agaisnt all odds.

And unfortunately died last Saturday aged 4 :-(. Still, the most unexpected 'ad' ever. I have to search again that WTF situation I once found on C-32 tollway Northeast of Barcelona, Spain.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vtk

Pegman is wearing a rainbow cape today.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

CNGL-Leudimin

Yeah. I missed it since I use the basic version of Google Maps, and I've gone from near Madrid to Zaragoza without touching A-2 at all in Street View today. The complete version stops working properly on my computer after a few steps in Street View.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Mr. Matté

Not Street View but in a Google Maps/Earth satellite update in my area, I think I spotted me (the orangeish dot in the center of the screen, may need to turn 3D off):

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2565033,-74.6237872,20z/data=!3m1!1e3

The date matches the day I did a ride up to Kingwood, NJ and cars in nearby church parking lots indicate that the picture was taken around 9 AM so the timing makes sense (only about 7 miles into my ride). Unfortunately one of my coworkers beat me to an appearance in Google as she, her husband, and daughter were captured in Street View walking around Baltimore during one of their vacations.

US 41

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 23, 2016, 04:51:55 PM
Yeah. I missed it since I use the basic version of Google Maps, and I've gone from near Madrid to Zaragoza without touching A-2 at all in Street View today. The complete version stops working properly on my computer after a few steps in Street View.

Interesting. I traveled all of A2 from Madrid to Zaragoza about 3 months ago on GSV.

I took a high speed train from Madrid to Barcelona a little over 2 years ago (in real life  :D). I wish we (group trip) had taken the highway instead.

I almost starved in Spain that week as well. Thank God McDonalds and Burger King were close by. I was expecting the food to be "Mexican like" and it definitely is not. Lemonade, which is my favorite American drink, seemed to be non existent in Spain, so I settled for Coca Cola.

Overall though I had a good time in Spain. If I ever went back I'd probably rent a car for 2 weeks and drive all over Spain. I probably never will go back because the plane ride is just too long for me. My goal is to never fly again, so I think I'll just stick with Canada and Mexico :sombrero:.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

CNGL-Leudimin

Then you should have passed by some interesting features on the way, like that section where space is distorted and things are closer than usual (Or at least the kmposts are closer than they should be). Or Ariza, a town that got stuck in my mind because of the exact same reason as the number 41, damn Pearson.
Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 02, 2016, 05:00:52 PM
Not Street View but in a Google Maps/Earth satellite update in my area, I think I spotted me (the orangeish dot in the center of the screen, may need to turn 3D off):

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2565033,-74.6237872,20z/data=!3m1!1e3

The date matches the day I did a ride up to Kingwood, NJ and cars in nearby church parking lots indicate that the picture was taken around 9 AM so the timing makes sense (only about 7 miles into my ride). Unfortunately one of my coworkers beat me to an appearance in Google as she, her husband, and daughter were captured in Street View walking around Baltimore during one of their vacations.

I may also be on the satellite imagery, as they caught my orchard with some cars parked in it a couple years ago.

slorydn1

It's funny, talking about being caught on Street View or satellite imagery. Street view never caught me at my house or my job. In fact, the only vehicle at my house when Google came down my street was my little brother's car-and he lives 820 miles away in in Lehigh Acres, FL.

Looking at satellite imagery at my house, I think I may have found my wife's car sitting in the driveway, or it could just be a shadow from the tree, its really hard to tell. The last version of imagery they had which was a few years old for my area my old truck could be plainly seen in the driveway, hard to miss that burgundy beast sitting on the left side of the driveway out in the sun. But this latest version just doesn't have the clarity for me to discern the difference between a dark blue car or a blk shadow on the white concrete.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

CNGL-Leudimin

Sometimes one can know in which direction the Google car was traveling, because the view forwards is fine, but the one backwards, on the other hand... I found this as I follow the route of this year's Giro d'Italia, I had to go for a while towards the crap imagery.

Edit: I thought it could not be worse. I was wrong :ded:.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Is it just me or does the rail crossing in the 2015 imagery look like a Confederate flag?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: vdeane on July 12, 2016, 01:48:40 PM
Is it just me or does the rail crossing in the 2015 imagery look like a Confederate flag?
It's how Australia does their one-piece crossbucks. IDK why.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 41

Not really crazy, but it's pretty awesome. An army semi truck in camo.

freebrickproductions

(They/Them)

Mr. Matté

Quote from: US 41 on July 12, 2016, 09:58:41 PM
Not really crazy, but it's pretty awesome. An army semi truck in camo.

What the driver was thinking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuQFI9TXiv8

Quote from: Zeffy on April 25, 2016, 07:29:57 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 25, 2016, 06:03:46 PM

At least he is along the STOP bar. But given that it's Trenton, yeah, it would be great if this was the only kind of thing you see daily.

Reminds me of what I saw when I had jury duty, at least it's captured for all to see, courtesy of the county workers: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2157354,-74.7620885,3a,36.8y,254.23h,89.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1saATkKEm5EnPtZlhU5a_oiQ!2e0

catch22

Quote from: empirestate on July 18, 2016, 09:00:49 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 17, 2016, 12:18:14 AM
Also, here's a crossing signal that got knocked over:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6553109,-85.9684757,3a,20.3y,8.25h,77.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZpvjjq1VloEHir6r1Ed5HQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6554262,-85.9683548,3a,46.6y,263.38h,75.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMaPltcYjHW63hle-4x8UcQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

And the signal appears to be activated; I assume that's a failover mode because of the damage?

The signal cabinet door is open, and the maintainer is walking from there towards the damage ... I would guess he's activated the signal manually and is walking over to assess the damage.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: catch22 on July 18, 2016, 12:16:41 PM
Quote from: empirestate on July 18, 2016, 09:00:49 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 17, 2016, 12:18:14 AM
Also, here's a crossing signal that got knocked over:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6553109,-85.9684757,3a,20.3y,8.25h,77.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZpvjjq1VloEHir6r1Ed5HQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6554262,-85.9683548,3a,46.6y,263.38h,75.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMaPltcYjHW63hle-4x8UcQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

And the signal appears to be activated; I assume that's a failover mode because of the damage?

The signal cabinet door is open, and the maintainer is walking from there towards the damage ... I would guess he's activated the signal manually and is walking over to assess the damage.

I noticed that when I was looking around there. I'm thinking that the maintainer manually activated the crossing as well, probably to see if anything on the knocked over signal was working.

(They/Them)

US 41

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.