News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crazy things you've found in Google StreetView

Started by rickmastfan67, April 07, 2010, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 07, 2020, 01:05:26 AM
Google Street View is a great way to experience places you may never get to see otherwise...like the inside of this dude's car.

Until this moment, I did not know about Saint Pierre and Miquelon, or that any such French territory outside Canada or the United States existed around there.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

Scott5114

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 14, 2020, 12:19:52 AM
Google Street View is a great way to experience places you may never get to see otherwise...like the inside of this dude's car.

Until this moment, I did not know about Saint Pierre and Miquelon, or that any such French territory outside Canada or the United States existed around there.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

It came up in some other thread, so I decided to see what the roads look like. Instead I got this guy's car.

(I did eventually find out that they seem to use French specifications for signs and such.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 14, 2020, 01:14:26 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 14, 2020, 12:19:52 AM

It came up in some other thread, so I decided to see what the roads look like. Instead I got this guy's car.

(I did eventually find out that they seem to use French specifications for signs and such.)

Yet, they use North American sized license plates:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.7747401,-56.1776937,3a,46.3y,108.45h,73.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sR64N6Gid-tBTAyRzZdBgMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Looks like they are European style, hard to tell, blurry.

Same here, I had no idea there was a French colony there.  Now I want to go!

Rothman

I went to St. Pierre last year.  I thought they did use European-style plates -- there are a lot of different plates on the island (Canadian and U.S.).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on August 14, 2020, 10:29:11 AM
I went to St. Pierre last year.  I thought they did use European-style plates -- there are a lot of different plates on the island (Canadian and U.S.).

They use both sizes.  The prevalence of US-sized ones is due to the prevalence of NAFTA vehicles.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ErmineNotyours

STLmapboy

An Idaho state trooper pulling over a Target truck at 4th of July Pass on I-90.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Google maps truck barges past a road closed sign onto an under construction bridge.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ErmineNotyours

Google Map car barges past a road closed sign to construction vehicles.  In fairness, it did turn out to be a local traffic trip.

ErmineNotyours

ErmineNotyours

Hang loose.

(In middle school, the authorities thought that was an obscene gesture and forbade its use.)

kphoger

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 21, 2020, 07:59:40 PM

That's not a Target truck.  That's an LTI truck pulling a Target trailer.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2020, 10:38:35 AM

Clearly you have not read Section 37q(ii) of the Truck Identification Manual, which states in part that "for persons other than those directly involved in the trucking and transportation industry, tractor trailer trucks shall be identified by the corporate logos or text on the trailer unit".

kphoger

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 29, 2020, 02:44:19 PM

Clearly you have not read Section 37q(ii) of the Truck Identification Manual, which states in part that "for persons other than those directly involved in the trucking and transportation industry, tractor trailer trucks shall be identified by the corporate logos or text on the trailer unit".

Keep reading.  That section is further qualified by sub-section q(iii), which states in part, "...such shall not be construed as to pertain to persons identifying tractor trailer trucks in a non-professional, hobby, or amateur context such as an online Internet forum or..."
Male pronouns, please.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Throckmorton

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 26, 2020, 11:42:00 PM
Hang loose.

(In middle school, the authorities thought that was an obscene gesture and forbade its use.)

When I was young that was known as the 'bullshit' sign. Obviously the meaning has changed.

Proceed with caution

kphoger

When I was a kid, I was told it represented Satan's horns.
Male pronouns, please.

tchafe1978

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2020, 05:34:15 PM
When I was a kid, I was told it represented Satan's horns.

It's the Devil's Horns, as commonly seen at rock and metal concerts.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2020, 12:23:37 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 29, 2020, 02:44:19 PM

Keep reading.  That section is further qualified by sub-section q(iii), which states in part, "...such shall not be construed as to pertain to persons identifying tractor trailer trucks in a non-professional, hobby, or amateur context such as an online Internet forum or..."

I believe that's sub-section qu(i(2b)ili)ng, whereby one comments right after the other one, usually in a big wall of quoted text to buttress the argument.

Quindaro Hall was closed in honor of Aftermath Day, so I can't verify this in person.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on August 31, 2020, 07:50:34 PM
I believe that's sub-section qu(i(2b)ili)ng, whereby one comments right after the other one, usually in a big wall of quoted text to buttress the argument.

Quindaro Hall was closed in honor of Aftermath Day, so I can't verify this in person.

To find that sort of information, you have to attack it from a different angle.  (Note that attacking Quinadro Hall from a different angle is expressly required by law, but the related fines and punishments vary by a complicated calendar based on astrology, the viscosity of bitumen, and the half-life of hircinium.)

After a little bit of digging, I was able to find confirmation in a list of Goat State Alliance (gas.gov) facilities, which of course includes Quindaro Hall.  After navigating a series of links, I eventually found a slideshow about buttressing arguments.
Male pronouns, please.

STLmapboy

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2020, 09:48:16 AM
Quote from: formulanone on August 31, 2020, 07:50:34 PM

To find that sort of information, you have to attack it from a different angle.  (Note that attacking Quinadro Hall from a different angle is expressly required by law, but the related fines and punishments vary by a complicated calendar based on astrology, the viscosity of bitumen, and the half-life of hircinium.)

After a little bit of digging, I was able to find confirmation in a list of Goat State Alliance (gas.gov) facilities, which of course includes Quindaro Hall.  After navigating a series of links, I eventually found a slideshow about buttressing arguments.

Is it bad that I couldn't detect the sarcasm until I was most of the way through?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.