News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

FADED Beyond Recognition

Started by architect77, November 01, 2014, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

Quote from: ozarkman417 on November 26, 2019, 10:08:19 PM
While randomly browsing GSV, I found This US 31 shield, that looks like it's about to lose it's 1. looking closely it is on an old button-copy sign.

With that section of I-20/59 (or 59/20) under re-construction, that sign gantry is probably history, along with many others.

csw

The bottom sign used to be brown. I-581 in Roanoke, VA.

A few old I-80 shields and a patchy green sign. White Haven, PA.

Do Not Enter. Indianapolis, IN.

Nearly illegible directional signs. Old US 31 in Fulton Co., IN.

Mergingtraffic

Baltimore, MD
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Eth

silveradoman298

"Call me a prisoner of the highway
Driven on by my restless soul
I'm a prisoner of the highway
Imprisoned by the freedom of the road"

csw

ErmineNotyours

The new 520 Floating Bridge is only a few years old, but already the purple University of Washington logo is fading.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on March 18, 2020, 10:57:22 PM
The new 520 Floating Bridge is only a few years old, but already the purple University of Washington logo is fading.

[image clipped]
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49675172452_d2cc1231ca_z.jpg

That's disappointing. Any idea if they used the approved purple (the equivalent of Pantone 259)? Or if they used what UW specifies (Pantone 2685)? Can't recall how similar the colors are.

I only ask because there are tons of ETC-related signs across this country that, despite their age, have not faded to that degree, but which do use the purple that was approved for highway signage.

KEVIN_224

New Britain, CT, where Main Street meets CT Route 71.

CovalenceSTU

This was a No Parking Any Time sign when I first saw it, but now it's just white and covered in moss.

US71

Rogers, AR (no longer there)

KEVIN_224

The shields were for I-91 in Springfield, MA. This is more or less a parking lot and access to an Amtrak line behind me, so virtually no traffic. They might be leftover from when the Basketball Hall Of Fame was next door (center and right with the yellow columns).

Amtrakprod

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 11, 2020, 09:01:52 PM
The shields were for I-91 in Springfield, MA. This is more or less a parking lot and access to an Amtrak line behind me, so virtually no traffic. They might be leftover from when the Basketball Hall Of Fame was next door (center and right with the yellow columns).

Speaking of Greenfield. Not sure if this counts but look at this FYA sign. Best part is that the original sign had the same pattern but had a green color instead of a yellow in the same shape.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 12, 2020, 06:32:51 PM
Speaking of Greenfield. Not sure if this counts but look at this FYA sign. Best part is that the original sign had the same pattern but had a green color instead of a yellow in the same shape.

Not all unlike the very-briefly standard "YIELD ON FLASHING YELLOW [YELLOW]" signs in Federal Way, WA.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on May 13, 2020, 02:42:55 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 12, 2020, 06:32:51 PM

Not all unlike the very-briefly standard "YIELD ON FLASHING YELLOW [YELLOW]" signs in Federal Way, WA.
Here's a video of the green arrow version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIW8Y9q07So
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

CovalenceSTU

Quote from: US71 on April 05, 2020, 02:43:33 PM

There's a sign just like that in Longview, WA:

US71

Quote from: CovalenceSTU on May 18, 2020, 02:38:09 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 05, 2020, 02:43:33 PM

There's a sign just like that in Longview, WA:

Sadly, the one in Rogers is gone after the street was widened.

M3100

CA-213, Western Ave., an "urban state highway" in Harbor City [which is technically part of Los Angeles], CA.
Signs in this part of So Cal that are within arms' reach often have stickers on them.  Graffiti is less common here; more common closer to downtown LA and other locations.

stevashe

Quote from: jakeroot on March 19, 2020, 04:15:53 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on March 18, 2020, 10:57:22 PM

[image clipped]
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49675172452_d2cc1231ca_z.jpg

That's disappointing. Any idea if they used the approved purple (the equivalent of Pantone 259)? Or if they used what UW specifies (Pantone 2685)? Can't recall how similar the colors are.

I only ask because there are tons of ETC-related signs across this country that, despite their age, have not faded to that degree, but which do use the purple that was approved for highway signage.

Luckily this sign will be replaced with the ongoing Montlake project anyway. Fingers crossed they use a more durable purple color this time!

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

formulanone

DrSmith

At least there is one legible "Do Not Enter" sign there
Also, inappropriate shape to the sign

https://goo.gl/maps/xDGLwHQtunX1a9Wf8

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.