Found a 4-Section One-Piece 4-Way Signal in Use

Started by Brian556, November 30, 2019, 11:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

freebrickproductions

Oh hey, I've been there before. Got a video of it a few years ago. AFAIK, it's still there. Still mechanically controlled as well, IIRC.

The signal was almost undoubtedly installed by ALDOT back when that was AL 20, prior to the town being bypassed to the south.

Also, as a side note, I believe Albany, NY, has another one still in use.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

CJResotko

traffic light guy

That's a type M 4-way signal from the early-60s. The double red was a thing in the east.

US71

Quote from: traffic light guy on January 30, 2020, 07:04:42 PM
That's a type M 4-way signal from the early-60s. The double red was a thing in the east.

Also in Arkansas until the early-mid 70's, though mostly on state-maintained roads.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bitmapped

Four-high 4-way signals were somewhat common in the Cleveland area for providing a left turn arrow, but all of the examples I can think of have been replaced in the last 10-15 years as part of larger signal replacement projects.

silveradoman298

These Crowse-Hinds style signals are still common to comeby in smaller communities in Ohio.
"Call me a prisoner of the highway
Driven on by my restless soul
I'm a prisoner of the highway
Imprisoned by the freedom of the road"

hockeyjohn

Through the early 1980s, there were a number of these along Allisonville Rd. (an old alignment of S.R. 37) in Indianapolis.   I also remember one along N.C. 127 in the Viewmont section of Hickory, N.C. until the road was widened in the late 1980s.

wytout

-Chris

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 07, 2019, 03:39:00 PM
Oh hey, I've been there before. Got a video of it a few years ago. AFAIK, it's still there. Still mechanically controlled as well, IIRC.

The signal was almost undoubtedly installed by ALDOT back when that was AL 20, prior to the town being bypassed to the south.

Bumped into that one a few weeks ago in Leighton.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.