News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

Image from Google Streetview.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on December 16, 2019, 10:42:01 AM
Now do you want me to explain the blue lines in hockey.

Yes.  Whenever I try to learn it, what I see during a game doesn't match my understanding.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2020, 11:27:25 AM

Yes.  Whenever I try to learn it, what I see during a game doesn't match my understanding.

That was a reference to an old Mad Magazine bit about the rules in hockey.  It was mostly making fun at how the majority of rules in professional sports are so vague and easily open to interpretation.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on January 03, 2020, 11:27:25 AM

But since you asked...

For the current rules:  They're only generally used for off-sides calls.  When advancing the puck into the offensive zone towards the net (basically, between the blue line to behind the net), the puck must clear the blue line prior to any offensive player fully crosses the line.  They can straddle the line, but can't fully cross it until the puck does.

If the puck is returned towards center ice, anyone within the offensive zone must retreat to center ice beyond the blue line (just for clarification here, center ice is the area between the two blue lines; not perfectly center on the red line).  If the puck, after getting to center ice, goes back into the offensive zone, all players must still retreat to center ice before returning to the offensive zone to touch the puck.

In the past, there's been various rule differences pertaining to off-sides calls.  In one of the worst rules, there was also a 2 line pass violation, where if the puck was passed from one player to another and the puck crossed the red line and at least one of the blue lines during the pass, that was a foul and play was stopped.  A stupid rule to begin with; thankfully they did away with it.

jakeroot

^^^
I think that's more erroneous than "worst of".

Tom958

Quote from: jakeroot on January 10, 2020, 11:19:19 PM
^^^
I think that's more erroneous than "worst of".

Yeah, you're right. I'll post there, then delete my post here.

CoreySamson

Bumping this thread to showcase what's got to be the worst ever attempt at a Evacuation Route sign. I-10 eastbound west of Beaumont:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0222013,-94.1729384,3a,15y,64.8h,86.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB-axI8mM7StUcfuC1dJJqg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

odditude

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 10, 2020, 09:33:14 PM
Bumping this thread to showcase what's got to be the worst ever attempt at a Evacuation Route sign. I-10 eastbound west of Beaumont:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0222013,-94.1729384,3a,15y,64.8h,86.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB-axI8mM7StUcfuC1dJJqg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

the link you gave has the sign closed on its hinges - what's it look like when it's open?

CoreySamson

Quote from: odditude on April 10, 2020, 10:00:11 PM

the link you gave has the sign closed on its hinges - what's it look like when it's open?

Oops, wasn't thinking for a second. I thought that sign was open. I'm just wondering why there's an odd solitary hurricane picture on this sign when they just could've used one of the perfectly fine blue Hurricane Evacuation Route signs instead.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jakeroot

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 10, 2020, 10:17:40 PM
Quote from: odditude on April 10, 2020, 10:00:11 PM

Oops, wasn't thinking for a second. I thought that sign was open. I'm just wondering why there's an odd solitary hurricane picture on this sign when they just could've used one of the perfectly fine blue Hurricane Evacuation Route signs instead.

I'm guessing it's for TXDOT, so that workers can more easily locate the signs when they need to be flipped down. They don't want anyone reading or being familiar with the message until evacuation becomes necessary, so they use a largely non-descript hurricane symbol for locatiing purposes. That's a guess, for the record; I don't work in sign maintenance.

formulanone

Construction signage is always a strawman in this thread, but I still apply the three-strikes rule for deciding to post one here. While the inverted colors aren't a deal-killer, the unnecessary use of apostrophes might.

On the northbound approach to the Golden Gate Bridge, from September 2014:

hbelkins

So,if you want to kiss your passenger, take that exit?

Buses -- big vehicles that hold multiple people.

Busses -- kisses.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

empirestate

No, no... if it's the plural of truck is truck's, and the plural of RV is RV's, then the plural of bus is clearly bus'. :-D

Scott5114

Crappy grammar aside, orange-on-black signs look really sharp.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Amtrakprod

What about blue on orange?

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

roadfro

Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 29, 2020, 09:24:18 PM

Except that one is orange on blue ;) (or maybe yellow on blue?)

It's amazing to me that liquor store signs are so big and prominent on a road. But I come from a state where you can buy liquor at supermarkets, department stores, convenience stores, or any business that can obtain the appropriate business permit, so a whole different perspective I guess...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2020, 07:19:25 PM
Crappy grammar aside, orange-on-black signs look really sharp.

They might work for construction zones where you need contrasting information; say, Truck information which usually has white-on-black signage.

DRMan

Quote from: roadfro on April 30, 2020, 04:12:40 PM

It's amazing to me that liquor store signs are so big and prominent on a road. But I come from a state where you can buy liquor at supermarkets, department stores, convenience stores, or any business that can obtain the appropriate business permit, so a whole different perspective I guess...

Liquor sales in New Hampshire are exclusively through the state liquor commission and, as you can imagine, are a big profit center. Some people in NH would tell you that the roadside liquor stores on I-95 and I-93 are especially nice because of the high traffic and that travellers from Massachusetts and elsewhere can spend their money and move on without leaving the highway.

SectorZ

Quote from: DRMan on May 01, 2020, 10:38:30 AM

Liquor sales in New Hampshire are exclusively through the state liquor commission and, as you can imagine, are a big profit center. Some people in NH would tell you that the roadside liquor stores on I-95 and I-93 are especially nice because of the high traffic and that travellers from Massachusetts and elsewhere can spend their money and move on without leaving the highway.

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20090902/NEWS/909020340

Some in Mass do it to avoid taxes, including those elected to increase said taxes...

DRMan

Quote from: SectorZ on May 01, 2020, 11:40:19 AM
Quote from: DRMan on May 01, 2020, 10:38:30 AM

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20090902/NEWS/909020340

Some in Mass do it to avoid taxes, including those elected to increase said taxes...
Definitely, to the point that Mass. and other states used to try to run stings in the liquor store parking lots.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2018/05/08/new-hampshire-liquor-stores-bootlegging

But anyway, it is an unusual color combination for a highway sign.

CtrlAltDel

Is this special construction lighting? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before?

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

I'm pretty sure those are special lights designed to match the Golden Gate Bridge.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2020, 02:15:59 AM
I'm pretty sure those are special lights designed to match the Golden Gate Bridge.

Yep. The mid-2010s reconstruction of the Presido Parkway section of US 101 in northern San Francisco (approaching the Golden Gate Bridge) features a few design treatments inspired by the bridge.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

Quote from: roadfro on May 04, 2020, 10:30:34 AM

Yep. The mid-2010s reconstruction of the Presido Parkway section of US 101 in northern San Francisco (approaching the Golden Gate Bridge) features a few design treatments inspired by the bridge.
Was this a CalTrans project or city?  Because holy shit, there's an exit tab, in California!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

Interesting. Thanks.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.