News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Are New Jersey Traffic Signals the best?

Started by roadman65, April 09, 2011, 09:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

One problem in Florida is you travel behind a truck whether near of far and your view of the signal heads are obstructed!  They are mounted too close together and only in front! The Garden State has them on divided highways all around.  Also NJ (along with IL and DE) are the only ones to think about installing two left turn signal heads while 47 other states follow the MUTCD and install only  one unless there are two turn lanes.

I have to say New Jersey has the best signals around.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

connroadgeek

They seem rather large to me. Not talking about the lens size since that's standard, but just the overall body and sun shields of the signals.

Ian

New Jersey is also one of the few places that still installs signals on those truss arms. But best signals around? Your opinion might change if you go to Quebec...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Quillz

I was about to post a picture of Quebec's superior traffic lights, but I see I was beaten to it.

Zmapper

I actually like the Wisconsin setup. Also, a side benefit of having the traffic signals at the corners instead of 18 feet in the air is that you look at pedestrians waiting to cross at the same time you look at the traffic signal. Though from what I see with Google StreetView, NJ is also good.

agentsteel53

yes, Quebec uses different shapes for each phase as well.  Yellow is a diamond, green is a circle. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 09, 2011, 11:40:24 PM
yes, Quebec uses different shapes for each phase as well.  Yellow is a diamond, green is a circle. 

Actually, Quebec recently stopped doing this because they discovered they didn't help the color blind as they were intended to do. I'm just wondering if PEI is going to stop using them as well.
Youtube l Flickr

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on April 09, 2011, 09:56:36 PM
Also NJ (along with IL and DE) are the only ones to think about installing two left turn signal heads while 47 other states follow the MUTCD and install only  one unless there are two turn lanes.

Never having been to New Jersey, I cannot comment, but Illinois has a requirement that there be a minimum of three signal heads per direction.  A bit much, IMHO, as I still favor Michigan's span wire signals.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadfro

Also NJ (along with IL and DE) are the only ones to think about installing two left turn signal heads while 47 other states follow the MUTCD and install only one unless there are two turn lanes.

You can add Nevada to this list. All new traffic signal installations in Nevada (as well as many older installations in the Las Vegas area) will have a supplemental signal head pole mounted on the far corner of the intersection--this is done for both left turn and through indications.

In most cases--especially with new installations or intersection reconstructions--Nevada signals will have one signal head per lane mounted overhead on the mast arm, as recommended by the MUTCD and/or ITE. (This isn't a constant, however, as the number of overhead left-turn signal heads typically max out at two even if there are three left turn lanes, and sometimes overhead signals heads max at three through faces where four through lanes are provided).

Nevada even takes things a step further with larger intersections. Often for wider intersections, a near-side supplemental signal face is provided in addition to the other faces mentioned above. For the through movement, this is pole-mounted on the right near side corner. For the left turn movement, it is increasingly common to see a near-side left signal face mounted overhead on the opposing direction's mast arm.

Example showing some of these characteristics: Las Vegas Blvd SB at Tropicana Ave. Three through lanes with four through signal heads: 3 overhead, 1 near side pole mount out of view (strangely, far right side pole mounts were left off at this intersection in all directions). Also, three left turn lanes with a total of four left turn signal heads: 2 standard overhead, 1 far side pole mount, 1 near side overhead mount.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman65

Quote from: roadfro on April 10, 2011, 02:57:40 AM
Also NJ (along with IL and DE) are the only ones to think about installing two left turn signal heads while 47 other states follow the MUTCD and install only one unless there are two turn lanes.

You can add Nevada to this list. All new traffic signal installations in Nevada (as well as many older installations in the Las Vegas area) will have a supplemental signal head pole mounted on the far corner of the intersection--this is done for both left turn and through indications.

In most cases--especially with new installations or intersection reconstructions--Nevada signals will have one signal head per lane mounted overhead on the mast arm, as recommended by the MUTCD and/or ITE. (This isn't a constant, however, as the number of overhead left-turn signal heads typically max out at two even if there are three left turn lanes, and sometimes overhead signals heads max at three through faces where four through lanes are provided).

Nevada even takes things a step further with larger intersections. Often for wider intersections, a near-side supplemental signal face is provided in addition to the other faces mentioned above. For the through movement, this is pole-mounted on the right near side corner. For the left turn movement, it is increasingly common to see a near-side left signal face mounted overhead on the opposing direction's mast arm.

Example showing some of these characteristics: Las Vegas Blvd SB at Tropicana Ave. Three through lanes with four through signal heads: 3 overhead, 1 near side pole mount out of view (strangely, far right side pole mounts were left off at this intersection in all directions). Also, three left turn lanes with a total of four left turn signal heads: 2 standard overhead, 1 far side pole mount, 1 near side overhead mount.

I obviously am wrong about it being 47 states!  NV and WI have some on the sides as well.  I was in Vegas in 00 but did not remember this, but now seeing the photo it does bring back memories.  All I know is the standard way causes trucks to block view of upcomming signals.  One time a truck driver ran a light in front of me that I had to slam on my brakes real hard to avoid running the light. It was very unsafe and with them all around like as above mentioned by all, you can see them better.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

In most "standard" cases, you can also add Minnesota and New Mexico to that list.

I'd also disagree with New Jersey being "the best".  Zmapper made a good point about the Wisconsin setup, with both overhead and side-mounted signals.  Illinois also has this to a degree but not as much as Wisconsin, Minnesota, or New Mexico...the three of which are fairly similar, the main exception being Minnesota using vertically mounted overhead signals while Wisconsin and New Mexico use horizontally-mounted.

realjd

Wow another northerner coming to Florida and telling everyone about how much better things are "up north"? I-95 goes both ways amigo.

j/k of course :)

I've noticed that California is pretty anal about signal visibility. They use overhead, side mount, and if the intersection is on a hill or around a corner, two or thee extra signal heads pointed around the corner. Oddly though, they seem to use only one left turn signal even if it's a double turn, although they almost always have a pull through left turn signal mounted on a pole on the far left side.

froggie

Quotealthough they almost always have a pull through left turn signal mounted on a pole on the far left side.

This is the Minnesota standard, but since you mention Cali, I do recall seeing it in the San Diego area.

agentsteel53

the best traffic signals are found in Loving County, Texas.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 10, 2011, 01:46:55 PM
the best traffic signals are found in Loving County, Texas.

LOL, or for that matter, Keweenaw County, Michigan.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: PennDOTFan on April 09, 2011, 11:56:42 PM

Actually, Quebec recently stopped doing this because they discovered they didn't help the color blind as they were intended to do. I'm just wondering if PEI is going to stop using them as well.

There also some parts of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia who use the same traffic light set-up used in Quebec and PEI as well. I don't know if they might stop as well.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 10, 2011, 07:01:29 PM
There also some parts of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia who use the same traffic light set-up used in Quebec and PEI as well.

To connect this line with the antonym of the topic title, some of the New Brunswick, New Jersey traffic lights suck. Many don't have any all-red times to clear the intersection, half of them, you can't make a left turn (even if it's a two-way road or a one-way in that direction), and me and my bike can't actuate the signal on Neilson St. approaching Commercial Ave.

And to the original poster, I was traveling on US 1 a few weeks ago stuck behind a truck, I could not see any of the signal heads in some locations. Almost ran a red due to this problem. A side-mounted head would have helped, but none were here.

froggie

East of the Mississippi, side-mounted signals are the exception instead of the rule.  The only EotM states I can think of that use them on a regular basis are Wisconsin, Illinois, Massachusetts, and DC.  Yes, I know DC isn't a state, but they use side-mounted almost exclusively, thanks to Congress and their limitations on overhead structures in the District.

Ian

New Hampshire also uses the side-mounted signals a lot. PennDOT District 6 (greater Philadelphia area) uses the side-mounted/pedestal signals as well, same with a few cases in New York City.
Youtube l Flickr

xcellntbuy

Side-mounted traffic lights are almost uniform in Miami-Dade County, Florida.  More and more of these newer traffic light installations, complete with VERY large black mast arms, are side-mounted in Broward County, Florida.  The reason I have heard is they withstand hurricane force winds better if side-mounted.  Palm Beach County is moving toward more large mast arms, but the traffic lights are mounted upright.

Quillz

I also think signal lights that are horizontal are easier to see rather than those that are vertical.

mightyace

^^^
Having spent nearly all my life east of the Mississippi, I have not seen many side mounted signals.  So, to me, they look weird.

I can only think of one place in Nashville where the lights are horizontal and not vertical.

EDIT:
Strike that.  I was thinking of horizontal mounted signals, sorry.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Quillz

They seem the norm in Quebec and are showing up elsewhere from time to time.

Having the lights all at the same eye level makes it easier to read, I think.

froggie

QuoteNew Hampshire also uses the side-mounted signals a lot. PennDOT District 6 (greater Philadelphia area) uses the side-mounted/pedestal signals as well, same with a few cases in New York City.

QuoteSide-mounted traffic lights are almost uniform in Miami-Dade County, Florida.  More and more of these newer traffic light installations, complete with VERY large black mast arms, are side-mounted in Broward County, Florida.

I forgot about New Hampshire.  But the other examples are all local examples and not at a statewide scale.

codyg1985

Quote from: froggie on April 10, 2011, 09:21:32 PM
East of the Mississippi, side-mounted signals are the exception instead of the rule.  The only EotM states I can think of that use them on a regular basis are Wisconsin, Illinois, Massachusetts, and DC.  Yes, I know DC isn't a state, but they use side-mounted almost exclusively, thanks to Congress and their limitations on overhead structures in the District.

Memphis uses quite a bit of side-mounted signals on the far left side of the intersection
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.